Forum Index > Gear Talk > Titanium Cook Kit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm 
I’ve been using the original Jet Boil Flash and a separate sierra cup as my cup/bowl for long time. I would like to get a nesting TI cup and ~ 1 liter pot. Intent is to stow a small iso canister and stove inside, I looked at the Snow Peak Solo set, but the pot seem overly tall. Seems like it might be less stable on a stove. Any experience with this setup? Looks like Toaks has quite a few nesting options. I’ve read a lot of good things about the Evernew Pasta Pot, is there any nesting cup/bowl options. I haven’t picked up a new stove yet. Inclined to go with the Pocket Rocket, simple and bullet proof, no ignition.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:51 pm 
I have the snow peak solo and have paired it with the snow peak litemax. No real issues with stability as far as Iam concerned. Different stoves/different pot supports can play differently though. It’s not my go to set up though. I normally use the Msr titanium kettle .85L, and a plastic insulated mug from sea to summit when I take a mug. No real data but the snow peak being narrower than the Msr kettle I believe decreases fuel efficiency. If your using the bottom half as a single walled titanium mug look into the silicon lip protectors (snowpeak hot lips). I personally have given up on the titanium mugs both single and double walled during summer hiking. When I take a mug at all I use the insulated plastic as it keeps thing warmer much longer at a minor weight penalty. As far as stoves go Iam unfamiliar with the most current crop. Somewhere someone will have researched their speed, efficiency and weights. Stoves tend to be long term investments for me so I would definitely look for that.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:14 pm 
On Ti pots.....so cooking, or just boiling water? If water, great! Get an unlined Ti pot and the hottest stove you can find. But if actually cooking, a stove that can be dialed in...and Ti sucks for actual cooking. It's easy to get new and interesting colors on the bottom of your pot if the pot overheats. Don't ask how I learned that one, many years ago. clown.gif clown.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 pm 
I don't have that exact system, but I have used my Pocket Rocket with a similar system. I have the GSI Soloist, which looks like it's approximately the same size? Link I also use a 4-person pot when I have my kids with me, on the same Pocket Rocket. As long as the substrate is flat, I have had no problems with tipping over. I do stay close and keep an eye on everything. I think you'll be fine with the system you are considering.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 08, 2019 10:13 pm 
This stuff is great. Ive got a bunch of it. https://sotooutdoors.com/product-category/cook-sets/

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 6:41 pm 
+1 for Evernew NOT-nonstick titanium pots. Have had mine 15 yrs.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm 
aah just throw that can of beans in the fire. no titanium required!!! y'almost don't even need a fork if theres sticks around

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Mar 23, 2019 11:47 pm 
I opted to get an Evernew set. It has a 750 ml pot and 400ml cup that nests outside, both with fully insulated handles. The full set weighs 5.8 ounces. A small fuel canister, pocket rocket, mini-bic , and a small micro fiber towel easily fit inside.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau