Forum Index > Trail Talk > Back country privy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 8:16 pm 
I have never really given much thought to back country privy or bathrooms, but I now have some curiosity. I am planning a trip with some of my usual backpacking buddies and there significant others and mine. Having a toilet has never been a priority for me but I want then to have as good a time as possible. So here is the question, how do I know where they are found at? I know I have seen plenty in national parks and wilderness areas, but I have been in lots of areas where there are not any, that have established campsites. Thanks for any help on this. Also if anyone has a recommendation it will be a 1 or 2 nights and I would like to to keep it at a Max of 8 miles and 1500ft gain but 6 and 1000 would be a preferred range. A lake would be nice with a toilet of course and the more scenic the better.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 8:59 pm 
There is one at Silver Lake above Monte Cristo a ways up the ridge leading to Silvertip Peak and has a nice view of the valley below. Goat flats on the way to the 3 Fingers lookout has one as well, although it is about a half mile off the route. I hiked to it and then could not go, lol...another mile of hiking when I was already trashed,lol. Not sure what your definition of "Privy" is...but these are just a place to sit and do your business, not contained in a building structure.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm 
That's all I am looking for. I am wondering if established campsites marked on green trail maps typically have them ?

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 pm 
SwitchbackFisher, Not sure where you are going, but many of the "most used" trails in the Snoqualmie Ranger District have established "Wallowa Toilets". For example there are two at Snow Lake, one at Annette Lake, two at Greenwater Lake, two at Echo Lake, one at Lost Lake, etc. Not every lake/campsite has one and some are in worse shape than others, but most have a sign pointing towards your local "Toilet". Where are you thinking of going and when? Lots of snow up at most sites right now.... Cheers, John

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 pm 
How to sh## in the Woods, 3rd Edition: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art https://www.amazon.com/dp/1580083633/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j7jHCb82K85Q6

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
SwitchbackFisher, Not sure where you are going, but many of the "most used" trails in the Snoqualmie Ranger District have established "Wallowa Toilets". For example there are two at Snow Lake, one at Annette Lake, two at Greenwater Lake, two at Echo Lake, one at Lost Lake, etc. Not every lake/campsite has one and some are in worse shape than others, but most have a sign pointing towards your local "Toilet". Where are you thinking of going and when? Lots of snow up at most sites right now.... Cheers, John
Really quite open as far as the location. I am thinking about mid to late September for the time frame so I have tome to figure it out. I do appreciate all of the help.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 2:50 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
I am planning a trip with some of my usual backpacking buddies and there significant others and mine. Having a toilet has never been a priority for me but I want then to have as good a time as possible.
Sounds to me like all the guys involved need to have conversations with their SO's about this issue; if you don't already know what they're comfortable with in the hygiene dept, there may be other things they're not comfortable with that would make it not so fun for them. Have they carried overnight packs before? How long/difficult a hike are they comfy with, etc etc. Why don't you include them in the planning process? Just sayin'. I know some people who wouldn't go anywhere there wasn't a toilet - that flushes. biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:19 am 
toilets on a back country hike? you've gotta be sh**ing me!

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 am 
They're pretty common at national park sites, where most backcountry permits require you to camp at a certain location. Because of the concentration of visitors, they tend to have toilets. Less common in forest service areas, but you can ask the ranger's office and they'll know.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:01 pm 
All the backcountry sites in MNRP have toilets, as do the Enchantments. I think the reservation period for MNRP is still open, and they make great day hikes with an overnight. This is my new fave way to backpack fwiw - keep a cooler of fresh food in the car, pack in a days worth of perishable food - cook it in camp, explore, poop in a nice composting toilet (since that's the topic), explore. Spend the night, hike out in the morning, move to the next area - hike in and repeat. smile.gif Fresh food, new scenery every day, light packs. Some downsides of course, but a lot of fun and less intense for newcomers

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:49 pm 
I would be a bit nervous about storing fresh food in my vehicle, depending on bear proximity, they can tear the doors off your car trying to get the goods. eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 1:20 pm 
I'm not sure privies promote "hav[ing] as good a time as possible." Privies are dirty, smelly, buggy, and not very private. "Primitive" is about a thousand times more pleasant in my experience. Just sayin'.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm 
True..^^^...however for me I have a difficult time going while squatting versus sitting...obviously backpacking does not come naturally for me. hmmm.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:29 pm 
Yeah the box toilets can be pretty unpleasant, but I find digging a hole more unpleasant. I also worry that I didn't pick the least impactful location, what if I should dig it even deeper, etc. I think all official campsites in the 3 nearby national parks have them. Even the obscure ones in North Cascades have them. So that is a reliable way to make sure you have one, just do a trip in a national park. Also most popular lakes in the wilderness areas have them. Pick a place you'd like to go, read online descriptions, and if they don't answer the question, call the ranger station.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
I kept a cooler in the trunk - in a parking lot. Didn't give it any thought though now you have me wondering...