Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 1:15 am 
Brockton wrote:
I've been seeing your trip reports on nwhikers for a while but this is the first time I've watched one of your videos. Very good! Beautiful area. I've always been curious about the Pyrenees. Also, I like your close-up nature footage. (the caterpillar, flowers, etc.)
Thank you for taking time and watching our video, really happy that you liked it. Hope that you enjoy the other videos from Pyrenees as well. Without animals it wouldn't be the same experience for us, thanks again.

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:50 am 
In today's video I will share with you my top 6 favourite go-to hairstyles for long or medium hair that are perfect for hiking and any outdoor activities. All of them are good for keeping your hair away form the face and at the same time looking very cute, and all you need is a brush and a couple hair elastics. So let's begin! Watch the full video here:
Let us know if you have enjoyed this video leaving me a comment. We are really interested to know what hairstyle you would like to recreate and which one is your favourite.

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am 
Interesting. So to my unstylish eye basically it's one braid or two, with variation on the 'one'-braid style. Many of my hiking/ climbing friends have shorter hair that wouldn't allow any braids.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Interesting. So to my unstylish eye basically it's one braid or two, with variation on the 'one'-braid style. Many of my hiking/ climbing friends have shorter hair that wouldn't allow any braids.
Thank you, they're all different braids, they look a bit different, except for the last two braids. I know that's not going to be for everyone but rather for people who enjoy doing different hairstyles and for whom it's boring to wear the same every day. And it won't work for the short hair of course but for someone who has longer hair braiding it is the only solution.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm 
walkingnatureworld wrote:
And it won't work for the short hair of course but for someone who has longer hair braiding it is the only solution.
Couldn't they put their hair in a bun, too?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 pm 
I have below shoulderl length hair and if I do anything it's just a ponytail. Easy and keeps hair out of face. Braids never worked for me. It's good to have options though.

When I grow up I wanna play.
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 pm 
I'm going to try the french braid on my next North Cascades epic adventure. smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 am 
Never got the hang of French braiding my hair, but it is an excellent choice for some folks; I know several women who braid their hair for backpacking. I find that it causes my scalp to hurt, so it's not the only solution for me. My follicles need to be free to move around. Free the Follicles, that’s my motto. And I can't sleep with a snake on my head. It hurts. I just toss my hair into a pony tail. Besides, let down my hair to thwart mozzies at camp. Sure a braid could whack the sh## out of them, but I think you’d get pretty dizzy doing that. On the other hand, a long braid could be used as a weed whacker on the trail. Buns? Not for me; they don’t stay up without pins, and I don’t do pins; something else to keep track of, and they don’t stay in my hair anyway, without hairspray, which I don’t do. Plus, my ballcap won’t fit over a hair bun. For a while, Backpacker Magazine featured nubile blondes in two braids and a handkerchief scarf in every photo in every issue. It was pretty funny. I don't even know if that magainze exists any more.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 am 
Your French braids are lovely, walkingnatureworld. They would look especially nice while strolling around St. Moritz, but I think here in the Pacific Northwest you might find a more casual approach to hiking hairstyles. Personally, I find French braiding way too tedious, especially when I am backpacking. Instead, I just tie my hair back with a scrunchy, put one simple braid in and fasten it at the end with a smaller band. It takes less than a minute, and if I wear a bandanna or wool hat I’m good to go for several days! If the mosquitos are bad at night, like Kim Brown said, I will take the braid out and use my hair for a bug deterrent. For those with shorter hair, there is this functional and cutting edge fashion statement from one of our NWHikers.
NWHiker freddyfredpants
NWHiker freddyfredpants

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Besides, let down my hair to thwart mozzies at camp.
Nancyann wrote:
If the mosquitos are bad at night, like Kim Brown said, I will take the braid out and use my hair for a bug deterrent.
Cool! Do you shampoo with Permethrin before heading out?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:27 am 
texasbb wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Besides, let down my hair to thwart mozzies at camp.
Nancyann wrote:
If the mosquitos are bad at night, like Kim Brown said, I will take the braid out and use my hair for a bug deterrent.
Cool! Do you shampoo with Permethrin before heading out?
Sorta! I rub bug dope on my clothes, ballcap, and in my hair. After 3 days out, it can be pretty stiff with bug dope and sunscreen. And dirt. And smashed bugs.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:40 am 
I haven’t tried shampooing with Permethrin...yet, but like Kim I have been known to mist my hair with DEET, and have found it helpful in keeping all but the most relentless perpetrators at bay. fencing.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm 
Did Miss Normandy hike in braids? I kinda recall a picture of her with braids.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm 
That was before my time, but I bet someone will remember!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm 
I put a lot of hairspray on my big hair. That way, if I'm going into a place where I might be clobbered by rocks or pinecones or squirrels, I don't have to wear a helmet. Big hair has advantages.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities