Forum Index > Trail Talk > Back country privy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:27 pm 
I suppose it depends upon the area and the time of year. Like if the bear just awoke from hibernation and was starving, they will be more bold and persistent. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-bears-can-tear-cars-apart-looking-for-food Sorry for the thread drift, now back to the regularly scheduled crappy program..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:01 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
Also if anyone has a recommendation it will be a 1 or 2 nights and I would like to to keep it at a Max of 8 miles and 1500ft gain but 6 and 1000 would be a preferred range. A lake would be nice with a toilet of course and the more scenic the better.
Spider Meadow. It's basically your max, and there's no lake, but it's gorgeous, and there's a privy.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 pm 
Did you mean 6 to 8 miles round trip? If so Anderson Lakes are gorgeous and have multiple privies.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:16 pm 
Foist wrote:
Did you mean 6 to 8 miles round trip? If so Anderson Lakes are gorgeous and have multiple privies.
Not round trip, 1 way.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:17 pm 
Does Watson lakes have one, I don't recall? I have been meaning to get up to the Anderson lakes, hopefully this year.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 am 
I have only been to Anderson lakes, not watson.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 am 
Pear Lake and Round Lake in the Henry Jackson wilderness do. I actually feel like toilets are pretty common along the PCT and along the more popular trails in general, though of course now that I'm trying to think of exactly where I've seen him I'm drawing a blank. I know the 100 Hikes series always mentioned when there was one, though the info may be outdated. I really appreciate when I see them here. I was pretty surprised to be in the extremely heavily used Wallowas a couple years ago, in the Eagle Wilderness, and they were absolutely none. And you know you can't trust everyone to properly dispose of waste, so when we were looking for campsites I was always on the lookout for an unpleasant surprise. I think it's a good idea to do this for someone's first backpack. Digging a proper cat hole can be hard depending on the soil. If you want an all-around good experience I also recommend going to a national park. I really enjoy how much more controlled and regulated it is. You aren't likely to have the kind of experience we've all had at some point in the national forest, with people trudging around all hours trying to find sites in a crowded location, plenty of illegal behavior, etc.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am 
Waptus lake is around 8 miles each way but under 1500 gain. Also a good option for earlier in the summer. And it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it has multiple privies.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:06 am 
I dont remember any privies at Waptus lake. Hmm. With all the horsey haulers in there it would make since.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:16 am 
Oh really? I could be wrong. Call the Cle Elum ranger station. Surprise and Glacier Lakes both have privies, I know that for sure. Although they are a bit above your elevation gain cap, they are well-built trails and the climb seems easier than the numbers.

markweth

markweth
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:31 am 
kiliki wrote:
If you want an all-around good experience I also recommend going to a national park. I really enjoy how much more controlled and regulated it is. You aren't likely to have the kind of experience we've all had at some point in the national forest, with people trudging around all hours trying to find sites in a crowded location, plenty of illegal behavior, etc.
I'd second this. I used to strongly prefer backpacking in areas without permits or designated campgrounds, but I've come to appreciate national parks more over the years. It is nice to know that, in general, the trails will actually be maintained and that the number of people camping in a given area will actually reflect what that area can accommodate (versus in certain wilderness areas where you end up with seven different groups all trying to camp at a lake with, at most, two decent campsites).

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 12:56 pm 
kiliki wrote:
If you want an all-around good experience I also recommend going to a national park. I really enjoy how much more controlled and regulated it is. You aren't likely to have the kind of experience we've all had at some point in the national forest, with people trudging around all hours trying to find sites in a crowded location, plenty of illegal behavior, etc.
On the whole I agree. If you backpack in a national park, for the most part you need a permit for your camp. As long as you get one, it guarantees you'll find an empty good camp. If you hike to a popular spot outside the parks on a Saturday, you'll have to arrive early or improvise. When I spent a few nights at Sahale, there were some obviously drunk people with a machete. They had camped at Doubtful Lake and built a fire, the next morning a ranger came looking for them. I was talking to a ranger last summer, about drunk people with a machete and thought we were talking about the same incident, but mine was 5 years ago and she was talking about the previous summer. eek.gif

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 pm 
Seems like we could crowd-source a map that shows privies in the backcountry. Lots of good info here.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 pm 
Slim wrote:
Seems like we could crowd-source a map that shows privies in the backcountry. Lots of good info here.
It seems like it would not be to difficult. I know a lot of the BWCA in MN has websites built for paddlers where you can see photos of the privy for a particular camp. They also have a good permit system to keep crowds down.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.