Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hammock question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:27 am 
Well Im finally trying to decide on a hammock. Question; for those who've used them, compare the split entry (under) vs. the zip side entry offered by Hennessey. Im leaning towards the side zip. Thank you.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 9:17 am 
I've used a simple hammock from Eagles Nest Outfitters and a hammock tarp from Amazon with good results on a variety of hiking and bike touring trips. Maybe 50 nights in the hammock. I bring a headnet during bug season anyway, but have found that much past sunset the skeeters seem to go to bed as well. When it rains or there is heavy dew. It is nice to be able to pack up the nice dry hammock separately from the wet tarp.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostSat Mar 09, 2019 12:19 pm 
I have a Hennessey with bottom entry and did not care for it at all. I did not like how the bug net was either and had both modified by https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/fullwidth/. Now it works perfect for me as a side entry hammock. If you haven't already done so, check out Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks. That is what I would get as an upgrade.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 10:28 am 
I have a Hennesy with the bottom entry. I used it once. May try it again. It was weird. It was so darn comfortable but I still could not sleep. I watched the stars all night--didn't need a tarp over it that night. It was warm but I still needed some bottom insulation and getting a pad situated with the bottom entry was not good.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm 
I have a bottom entry Hennessey. I find it easy to enter but difficult to exit. The zipper mod posted by RichardJ looks interesting. Once I replaced my sleeping bag and pad with top and bottom quilts the comfort level matched my bed at home. And I paid $60 for it at a garage sale.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm 
We have a Warbonnet and a couple Dream Hammocks. All of them work great but we've really fallen in love with the Dream Hammock kit. The fabric choices are fun too.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:22 pm 
Addendum: In my simple "top entry" hammock I use an air mattress or pad too keep my butt warm in cool weather. I use this rather than an "under quilt" because having air mattress or pad is great when no suitable trees are available.

ofuros

ofuros
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 2:18 am 
...and so he tumbles down the rabbit warren. wink.gif Lots of choice out there these days. If you already have a pad, you could slide it into a hammock with a pad sleeve & use your sleeping bag as a top quilt...keeps the initial purchase low while you get used to sleeping above the ground. Or you could go the whole hog & purchase hammock, under quilt, top quilt & maybe a under cover/uq protector to stop all that warmth captured within that downy goodness from being blown away. Then there's tarp choice... dizzy.gif I have back issues, so I used the split(enter from below)...sit down, roll back, seal entrance. Sleep diagonally. Easy. Dry bag with spare clothes used as a pillow. Good luck... up.gif

...always dreaming of far off adventures. https://ofuros.exposure.co/
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 am 
Damn all you back-sleepers!

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I sleep on my side. confused.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
I also am a side sleeper and it works in a hammock, if you can sleep at all. You just kind of go kitty corner in it. This thread has made me think that I can get a zipper put on and use a hammock again if I ever decide to go overnight again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 am 
FWIW we have used our Exped downmats in our hammocks mostly, but the spousal unit now has an underquilt/overquilt rig and after getting the adjustments sorted he absolutely loves it. Having said that... there are places where opportunities to hang can be tricky, and he realizes this reduces his flexibility. He has wide shoulders and even with the 'pad extender' thing I found on line and helped him sling up, it's been an issue. The underquilt tends to wrap around his shoulders better. My back does so much better in a hammock than anything else that I'll try to get time in it on the back porch once the weather warms up. When it gets REALLY hot, it's the weapon of choice for a siesta... even at 100°+ it will drain off enough heat that the next thing you know you've nodded off completely for a couple hours.

~Mom jeans on wheels
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 2:57 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
I sleep on my side. confused.gif
Well, I've tried. Even in the "lay-flat" (spreader bar) hammocks. And it doesn't work with me. Of course, I can't sleep if there's a pea under my 20 self inflating pads either.

ofuros

ofuros
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 12:49 am 
There's a hang near you on the 5-7 April, camping, fire, food & sharing knowledge...if your interested. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/151792-Pacific-Northwest-Spring-Group-Hang-April-5-7th-Deception-Pass

...always dreaming of far off adventures. https://ofuros.exposure.co/
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 pm 
I have always been pretty skeptical about hammocks but my friend just bought a Warbonnet Blackbird, I tried it out and it is really comfortable, feels like you are floating in the air. Have your partner give it a swing and you could rock to sleep. I has a nice inner storage sleeve and built in bug net. Seems another advantage to a hammock would be that during a storm you don't have to worry about it being blown away like a tent, I suppose a big disadvantage would be that during a lightning storm, you are under the trees. paranoid.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.