Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Should we end Daylight Savings Time?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Should we eliminate Daylight Savings Time?
Yes
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Yes, make DST year-round
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
Yes, make standard time year-round
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
No, I like losing an hour of sleep in the spring
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 50

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 am 
I don't care if you make DST year-round or make standard time year round. This "spring forward" loss of an hour of sleep each winter sucks. (It used to happen in spring, until Congress pushed it back into late winter a few years ago.) Let's have the time consistent all year. https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-permanent-daylight-saving-switch-20190310-story.html And no, DST does not contribute to global warming. Some people actually get confused about that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 am 
I don't care which one but please do away with the time change, it's idiotic and I have not read of or spoke with one person who wants to keep it as it is. Yet, oddly enough Idaho just voted to keep it and decisions are pending in Wa and Oregon. It should be a vote by the people not the you know who's who have no common sense.. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don't care which one but please do away with the time change, it's idiotic and I have not read of or spoke with one person who wants to keep it as it is. ... It should be a vote by the people not the you know who's who have no common sense.. shakehead.gif
up.gif Yeah, what he said! Especially the last comment. Actually, GMT(Zulu time) would work best, I think. Then businesses, schools, etc could adapt their hours as desired, those who needed to could as well, but the entire population would not have to go through this clock change bit every year.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm 
I just read that Sen. Ted Cruz has introduced a bill for year-round DST nationwide. Might be the answer, to avoid chaos with timetables, etc. I believe this could be a nonpartisan issue. We need more of those in our divided country. Another proposal would be for the three West Coast states to go on Mountain Standard time, which would be the equivalent of year-around DST. I don't think this would require congressional approval. The northeastern states want to do something similar, to go on Atlantic Standard Time. Last fall I decided not to bother resetting my wristwatch, so it remained on DST for the four months of Standard Time. Although this was easier because I'm retired, I managed not to be an hour early to anything during that period. Last night, I had to reset only three clocks, which were super easy. I swear I saved at least half an hour last fall by not having to reset my watch back 23 hours! Those teeny tiny buttons are beyond my ability to handle.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 3:34 pm 
This topic is kind of amusing to me. In the Seattle area, winter solstice has 8:25 hr of daylight, or 9:37 twilight to twilight. If you take that 8:25 hrs and correspond it to the typical 8 to 5 workday, you have standard time. For Seattle, winter solstice daylight runs from 7:55 to 4:20, twilight to twilight, 7:19 to 4:56. That seems to fit reasonably well in winter. Summer solstice has 15:59 hrs daylight and 17:20 twilight to twilight. If you stick with standard time, daybreak would then be at 3:31 a.m. full daylight would then be at 4:12 a.m. Sunset and twilight at 8:11 and 8:51 respectively. You all good with sunrise at 4:12? A lot of people would rather sleep another hour or two. Thus daylight savings time. If you stick with daylight savings time, winter solstice daybreak is at 8:19 and sunrise at 8:55, which might be slightly more suitable for Seattle than year-round standard time, but is sure to create even more SAD campers. Adjusting time to fit the environs is not that difficult or stupid. Flying or driving to a different time zone must tax some of you to the extreme. Maybe we need to set the whole US to the same time for convenience. *stats from timeanddate.com

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 4:24 pm 
borank wrote:
If you stick with standard time, daybreak would then be at 3:31 a.m. full daylight would then be at 4:12 a.m. Sunset and twilight at 8:11 and 8:51 respectively. You all good with sunrise at 4:12? A lot of people would rather sleep another hour or two. Thus daylight savings time.
Sure, no problem, there's this new invention know as "blinds"....sales of really dark blinds would skyrocket and having your bedroom windows on the east side of your house would not help. Plus, it would be cool to be able to drive to the TH at 3:30 am in the light. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 pm 
Or we could go on the half-hour like India does.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:06 pm 
borank wrote:
Summer solstice has 15:59 hrs daylight and 17:20 twilight to twilight. If you stick with standard time, daybreak would then be at 3:31 a.m. full daylight would then be at 4:12 a.m. Sunset and twilight at 8:11 and 8:51 respectively. You all good with sunrise at 4:12? A lot of people would rather sleep another hour or two.
That's what blackout curtains are for. The sun already rises before most prone want to get up in the summer, it's not like we're talking about creating this problem (or winter SAD).

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:20 am 
Blackout curtains for up to two hours in the morning so I can sleep in the dark until 5:30am, and then miss out on additional after-work daylight. Sounds like a winning situation to me. If it's one or the other, I much prefer the idea of sticking with DST all year. I love our additional evening daylight we get in the spring / summer. However, I'm not too hindered by the biannual one-hour time change, especially since it's really only the once-a-year "spring forward" that I notice. Sure, I was a bit groggy at 5am this morning. But I'll be over it by tomorrow or Wednesday. I find it far easier to deal with than the time changes when I travel.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 9:27 am 
I'm in roughly the same spot. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am 
I vote DST all year, but that's because I quite selfishly like doing things at the house/with the fam after work in the daylight. We have an informal countdown that starts going in spring to see when we can start the after dinner bike rides again.

~Mom jeans on wheels
neek

neek
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am 
Earth does not care how humans choose to measure time. She happily spins at a steady rate regardless of time zones, daylight saving, or the meticulous counting of cesium oscillations. Maybe there's a little wobble, and the occasional gain of a second every few years from all that water being jerked around, but that's OK. If you worry about DST, maybe you spend too much time looking at the clock. The sun rises and sets, a little earlier in the morning and later at night these days (although that'll change in a few months). Humans do not perceive time linearly anyway--this has been proven; not only does its perceived progress vary with one's mental state, but it also speeds up as we age. So why pretend the ceaseless ticking means anything? Go to bed when you're tired, eat when you're hungry, go outside when the clouds part. You are making things too difficult. If someone does not have the patience to wait for you when you say you'll meet at mid-afternoon, that is their problem not yours. If you miss the bus, wait for the next one. If your boss says you're late, say, well, you're boring, which is worse?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 12:54 pm 
I kinda like it. It’s weird and creates a flurry of news stories, and confounds and confuses people. Best of all, it gives folks an excuse to have missed attending church on Sunday, and workers can use it for up to a week for showing up a little late.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm 
A nugget from Wikipedia: "Those who benefit most from DST are the retailers, sporting goods makers, and other businesses that benefit from extra afternoon sunlight. Having more hours of sunlight in between the end of the typical workday and bedtime induces customers to shop and to participate in outdoor afternoon sports. People are more likely to stop by a store on their way home from work if the sun is still up. In 1984, Fortune magazine estimated that a seven-week extension of DST would yield an additional $30 million for 7-Eleven stores, and the National Golf Foundation estimated the extension would increase golf industry revenues $200 million to $300 million. A 1999 study estimated that DST increases the revenue of the European Union's leisure sector by about 3%" Neek is onto something with his post. One could infer that the issue really revolves around regimented, universal working hours. Maybe the truly revolutionary thing to do would be to take a look at that; at least for non-management, subject-to-overtime-pay types. wink.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 pm 
neek wrote:
If you worry about DST, maybe you spend too much time looking at the clock.
I don't see anyone here who is worried by moving the clocks 2 times a year...however I do see annoyance with it. What really surprises me is nobody has related this issue to the opening time of the gate at Longmire and how it affects their hikes on Rainier! hahahahaha

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.