Forum Index > Gear Talk > Newish prAna hiking pants for tall and skinny men - Straight Fit Zion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jartelt

jartelt
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm 
I am 6' 2" tall and ~180 pounds, so it has always been a struggle to find a pair of hiking pants that fit well. Most options out there are super baggy. What I have been looking for is a pair of synthetic pants that fit similar to a Levi 511 jean and are tapered through the leg. I needed a new pair of hiking pants, so I ordered 5 different versions of prAna pants. It turns out prAna finally made a slim fit hiking pant. They are called the Stretch Zion Straight Fit and they are first pair of hiking pants I've tried which were not super baggy near the ankles. I am not sure why they are called Straight Fit instead of Slim Fit, but they are much slimmer than the traditional Zion pants. They are made with the same fabric as the Zion pants and have the same built-in belt, vents, etc. So... if you are a tall guy looking for hiking pants you can also wear to work or to a brewery, give the Straight Fit Zion pants a look. Like most prAna product they a tad pricey at ~$90 retail. But, if they actually fit you well, that may be worth the price for you. I'm not an advertiser for prAna - I just am happy I finally found a pair of synthetic pants that fit my slender frame smile.gif If you want to see pictures of Straight Fit Zions in comparison to the prAna Zion, Zioneer, Brion, and Broadfield pants, head over to this more complete review I wrote: https://backpackers-review.com/articles/prana-mens-hiking-pants-review/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 am 
Eddie Bauer has a a couple of stretchy hiking pants that are also slim fit. I like them cuz they don't bag out when wet.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 am 
For me, the Prana pants don't fit well for hiking with a pack. The crotch rise is too short and they ride at, or just below my hip crest. Pull 'em up a little to keep the waist belt on the pack from pushing them down and they end up "cramping" my style. They have a "skinny jean" feel to me also. Their cut/pattern just seems to be too "fashionable" and make better beer drinking pants than hiking pants for me.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am 
Jartelt, Take a look at some Mammut pants if you can find them in your area. Some European brands have a less baggy leg. No guarantee, but they might work for you. And my Marmot Scree pants have a less baggy leg too, at the cuff and through the leg.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
jartelt

jartelt
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:55 am 
Thanks for the tips. I actually bought the prAna pants and really like them so far. Hopefully they work well with a pack too! I will say that they are definitely on the slimmer side, so people with larger frames or big legs (e.g. serious cyclists) may not like them. I'll be sure to check out Eddie Bauer and Mammut next time I need a new pair of hiking pants (hopefully not for a couple years!).

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostTue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm 
I second the "cramping my style" bit with a pack on, couldn't hack it in the Pranas. Eddie Bauer is closest I can come to my old REI nylon pants, those were fantastic but can't find anything in a similar fit now.

ejain

ejain
PostWed Mar 27, 2019 10:25 pm 
I've been wearing Arc'teryx Lefroy pants for the past two years, for all purposes and conditions... They're lightweight and fast-drying but durable, slightly stretchy but not baggy, and come in narrow but long sizes. Only, this year the color choices seem odd...