Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stevens Pass area snow in third week of July?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 7:07 am 
Plotting out a road trip with a few BP trips, one the third week in July along the PCT via Stevens Pass. How will the snow possibly be by then for a couple three nights? North or south bound best experience? Duane

So many stoves, so little time.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am 
There may still be snow traverses where Microspikes and even an ice axe would come in handy, depending on how the summer meltout goes. Were you thinking about doing a section hike or just out and back?

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am 
Loop, three nights out if can work a loop, usually don't care to set up a basecamp. Something else maybe? Need to use up some time as I'm working my way down to Kalama car camping with a couple nights too in Goat Rocks. Duane

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:42 am 
There are some nice loop options from Stevens Pass south if you have snow travel skills and gear. We did a two night loop from Tunnel Creek up the PCT to Trap Lake the first night, then a side trip to Thunder Mountain Lakes the second night, and over Trap Pass to a second car parked at the Surprise Lake Trailhead on day three. However, this was in late August, and there were no snow issues by that time. Another idea might be to go up the White Pine trail and loop around the scenic Mormon Lakes in the Chiwaukum Range east of Stevens Pass. Snow melts out sooner in that area, although if you check some of the past trip reports from that area in July, there often is still snow in the passes, depending on the year.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:54 am 
Thank you, don't care to bring snow camping gear for this mostly car camping trip. Will have UL bp gear with my car camping stuff, leaving my canvas tent at home since it is so bulky for this long trip. Two tents and two sleeping bags will take up room in my truck. I have more maps ordered, wilderness ones as I didn't know my travel route, will try to bag a couple nights in Idaho and Washington since I don't have any backcountry nights in those two states. Ordered the wilderness maps I need this morning, can better plan bping trips that way and see elevations, lakes, etc.. Duane

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 pm 
Sounds like fun! You might be better off just doing a few dayhikes instead of backpacking. Lots of good options in the Stevens Pass area by mid-July.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm 
That was an idea too, just not familiar with the area of course, hoping to bag Goat Rocks also, so don't want to wait for a last option. Not sure when I'd be back here, but a good opportunity to case the NW out some. Less energy each year, last summer here in the Sierra was hard on me. Duane

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 pm 
It would be great if we could answer the OP's question, unfortunately there are too many factors to have a clear idea at this point. Depends on: how much more snow we get this winter/early spring and how warm and sunny it is between now and then. Snow could be mostly gone by then, or could still be several feet on the ground in the high country.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:51 pm 
Thank you, needed info like that. I can check snow conditions before I start then, but have plan B in place. Duane

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm 
Just keep checking this site for trip reports periodically to track how the snow melt progresses. Happy trails!

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 1:11 pm 
Yes. I wish someone up here could locate a old, white MSR stove pump for my stove collection. smile.gif Would go good with my model 9 stoves. Duane

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm 
We're still only at about 80 percent of average to-date snowpack but the rest of the month should tell. I have a feeling by 3rd week of July there will be little to no snow Stevens to Snoqualmie and probably the same northbound.

hikerduane

hikerduane
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm 
Thank you for the info, we're above average here in the Sierra, garden will be late this year. Duane

gb

gb
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am 
Schroder wrote:
We're still only at about 80 percent of average to-date snowpack but the rest of the month should tell. I have a feeling by 3rd week of July there will be little to no snow Stevens to Snoqualmie and probably the same northbound.
Agree. And it looks like little snow for the next couple of weeks. Probably, it will go above normal in temps and there should be little if any snow left by the third week of July in the Stevens area. Perhaps a bit in a few north facing gullies.