Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Absent NWHikers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 10:03 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
a site that holds my attention longer than WTA ever could
WTA's Trail Talk was quite colorful in its day, and especially so in the days directly before WTA shut it down, prompting the creation of NWH! wink.gif WTA definitely held attention back then! But now, it's comparing apples to oranges. The 2 sites don't have the same intent.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
WTA's Trail Talk was quite colorful in its day
You mean back when Tom and I were put on double secret probation for not conforming? I met a lot of good folks on that site. Many of whome I still know here. I think I met Kim there too.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 am 
That was freaking awesome. If I recall correctly, non compliance with WTA stances on numerous issues was always viewed as problematic, but things came to a head with their support for locking down road access on the full MFK and the online pushback in their forum.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm 
Actually the bigger issue was a picture of a cairn that Tom posted. Pictures on forums were rare then, and WTA hadn’t developed the site enough to handle them, but users were posting pics and it created a big flap. By then, the arguments were detrimental to the WTA website, and WTA, being dependent on donors, felt that the arguments, insults, and general b.s. that we now know is inherent in forums, was a bit offensive. The Mid Fk issue didn’t cause problems with Trail Talk. Motorized users were jamming the site off and on in the beginning, well before the Mid Fk project, but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices, so that was that on that. O what fun it was.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices
How petty was that? Lol. Talk about needing a hobby. That's like the time this dude from Europe found my phone number online and called me at MIDNIGHT to tell me I was keeping company with the wrong men on the BPL forum. Dying of laughter. He called me twice (as the first time I didn't wake up) Yeah, it didn't go well lol.gif lol.gif I am still not sure what he was thinking. I told him if he ever called me again, my husband would rip his man parts off through the phone. The next day I posted on BPL that if you ever feel the need to mansplain to a woman, Google her to find contact info, and then call her.....you should go burn your computer. lol.gif lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
The issue wasn't that the WTA didn't have resources to host pictures. The webmaster simply didn't want anyone to post pictures because he thought the pages would load too slow. I had embedded a small picture hosted on my own personal website via the HTML image tag. The administrator then disabled the image tag. I found a way to post the picture with JavaScript since he forgot to disable that tag LOL. That got me banned from WTA trail talk by the administrator who claimed I had hacked the site and all of my trip reports were also deleted by the administrator. Soon thereafter WTA shutdown trail talk and that was the start of NWH after a short hiatus on a forum that MtnGoat hosted. As far as the picture with the cairn that was posted by the administrator after he had disabled the image tag for everyone else lol.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm 
Well, sometimes good things happen from rebellion!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
but the guy responsible for Trail Talk tracked down the IP addresses and talked to the supervisor at their offices
How petty was that? Lol. Talk about needing a hobby.
It was actually detrimental for the organization to utilize the website for its mission. The website was slammed shut when it was jammed, and it was jammed on purpose by a group of motorized users from a local large corporation. Easy to find their supervisor. The jamming was impacting WTA’s ability to post their volunteer trips and hard or impossible for volunteers to sign up, fundraising, event invitations, trip reports – and donors were having trouble donating. Back then, most of this was still done via paper and phone, but a lot of would-be donors and volunteers were on the internet bandwagon. So it might seem petty, but when it’s hurting an organization’s fund-raising and other efforts, that is a big deal.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 4:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
As far as the picture with the cairn that was posted by the administrator after he had disabled the image tag for everyone else lol.
Ah! its coming back to me now. The Trouble with Cairns. So many fond memories. Catwoman, where art thou?

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 pm 
Really cool to have you reminiscing about the back story of this forum. Have read bits and pieces elsewhere, but now I feel like I have a much better picture of what happened.

neek

neek
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am 
Haha... Tom you h4x0r. I was in Oregon at the time so sadly wasn't tuned into WTA or nwhikers. I vaguely recall seeing a car at the Dog Mtn trailhead with "nwhikers.net" painted on the side, but forgot about it until a decade later when I stumbled across the site. Did I imagine that?

Damian

Damian
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am 
My crime was to hit the back button to copy and then repost a civil thread that had been deleted. The topic touched on multi-use issues that I thought were relevant to the conversation. But even mentioning multi-use was considered blasphemous. I was rightly verbally punished then put on double secret probation. If I tried to post I received a message saying my post would be reviewed by an admin.

Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostThu May 02, 2019 3:38 pm 
I used to browse here a lot, and seldom post. I read through this thread and def. remember some screen names. I doubt many remember me :-)

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm 
I've learned a lot from this site & gravitate back as the weather warms. I should come here more often in the cold months - I miss a good cabin fever flame war

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat May 04, 2019 4:39 am 
kbatku wrote:
....I should come here more often in the cold months - I miss a good cabin fever flame war
If you're ever in need of a good dose of "flame war", head on over to mountainproject.com, that's very common there. lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology