Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The honky guy must wish he was a pipe organist.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
GeoTom
Custom Title

GeoTom

Custom Title
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:53 pm 
The parking situation at Stevens really gets under some people's skin

--------------
Signature
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schroder

Schroder

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 5:44 pm 
rotf.gif  ykm.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostTue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm 
Well that was some translation !!!! Lol

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost

timberghost

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 am 
too many skiers as it is
kiliki

kiliki

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 am 
Okay, now who can tell me about the idea of a parking garage at Crystal? I'm sure everyone knows about what's been going on at Crystal. I'm seeing a lot of social media comments that are clamoring for Crystal to build the parking garage that was supposedly approved in a master plan. I'm a skier but would hate to see a parking garage in that valley, especially considering Crystal has been in trouble for years for polluting Silver creek from stormwater runoff off their parking lots.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am 
that there downfall vid is pure gold. nice work

it's curious that with such demand they don't just get the permits and grind out some more parking acreage.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am 
kiliki wrote:
I'm a skier but would hate to see a parking garage in that valley, especially considering Crystal has been in trouble for years for polluting Silver creek from stormwater runoff off their parking lots.

I would think it would be more possible to manage the runoff from  cars from  a garage than from  dirt lots (and a lot of the crap cars drip would  probably just stay on the covered floors anyway).
Schroder

Schroder

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 pm 
Crystal Mountain changing ticket policy to relieve overcrowding

Quote:
Starting January 18, the resort will stop selling walk-up full day tickets on weekends and holidays. They will only offer a limited amount of advance tickets online for weekends and holidays.
the popularity of the Ikon Pass may have been one of the biggest causes of overcrowding. The Altera Mountain Company bought Crystal Mountain in 2018, adding it to the Ikon Pass that can be used at 41 ski resorts worldwide.
timberghost

timberghost

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 am 
That's getting to be the case with most ski areas these days
kiliki

kiliki

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 am 
joker wrote:

I would think it would be more possible to manage the runoff from  cars from  a garage than from  dirt lots (and a lot of the crap cars drip would  probably just stay on the covered floors anyway).

I'm not a stormwater expert, but hard surfaces are generally seen as worse than permeable in terms of runoff. Maybe you can collect the run off, but you would still have to do something with it.

I also hate the aesthetics of having a parking garage in that valley. There are still good hikes around there. This is public land. I ski Crystal but I don't want the valley developed to the max for a corporations profit. I am somewhat reassured by their statements that as they figure out solutions, they're thinking of skier experience, meaning, they realize that if you provide parking for a ton more people you're just shifting the problem from no parking to long lift lines.
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm 
But in a covered garage how much of the droppings will even run off? Abby garage drains would presumably need to go into a drain field of some sort. I don't know the extent to which they can capture things like oil there but at any rate I don't think they'd be allowed to just straightline the drains into the creek.
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:47 pm 
Your aesthetics point is another matter. Crystal could conceivably expand terrain. I don't love that idea either but otoh not much new ski terrain has been created in a period of massive regional growth. I predict the alternative, keeping "supply" of skiing constant while demand continues increasing its going to turn the sport into a much more economically elite activity then its ever been. Basic microeconomics...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 12:04 am 
At Crystal it was a major loss when they built the lifts accessing the former North Backcoutry which used to require a ridge travers and shuttle ride back. You got a real sense of adventure and real POW POW. Now it is just another tracked out run. Hope they do not do the same to SBC.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 3:07 am 
Gonna have to get more guys drivin' big trucks, no carpooling. All solo in trucks. So less individuals will be able to access the mountain via the parking garage.

Look if you want to rip the runs the competition starts prior to the mountain. It takes a plan and strategy. Executed well!!! I think organizing large masses of skiers to collectively agree to all drive individual cars -and preferably large cars - is the type thing that's needed here.

--------------
YOU NEVER KNOW!!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
  Happy Birthday One Day Wonder, Middle E, mbtigger!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: