Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Postcard trip of Monte Cristo area, a century ago
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm 
This trip report is from my postcard collection. I've been to these places, but didn't take the photos, I just bought 'em.
[i:56b0f8abed]Falls in Monte Cristo Mountains near Everett, Wash.[/i:56b0f8abed] "Say forever I thought I would drop you a line to see how you were getting along. Hope your appetite hasn't failed you if so you sure are sick. Jimmy" [i:56b0f8abed]Mailed Aug 16, 1926.[/i:56b0f8abed]
Falls in Monte Cristo Mountains near Everett, Wash. "Say forever I thought I would drop you a line to see how you were getting along. Hope your appetite hasn't failed you if so you sure are sick. Jimmy" Mailed Aug 16, 1926.
[i:56b0f8abed]Goat Lake near Big Four Inn, Juleen 1925.[/i:56b0f8abed] On the back in pencil: The most up to date resort in Wash.
Goat Lake near Big Four Inn, Juleen 1925. On the back in pencil: The most up to date resort in Wash.
[i:56b0f8abed]Silver Lake, in the Cascade Mountains near Everett, Washington. No. 110 Daily Herald Co.[/i:56b0f8abed] Mailed 1906.
Silver Lake, in the Cascade Mountains near Everett, Washington. No. 110 Daily Herald Co. Mailed 1906.
[i:56b0f8abed]The Old Man of the Mountains[/i:56b0f8abed] (aka Count of Monte Cristo), pub. by Fred Shaw of Lake Stevens. Since this has a zip code, it's not super old. This rock monolith at about 4800' elevation is 200 feet tall. If the fog is right, you can see if from Monte Cristo. Haven't climbed this one but have walked near by.
The Old Man of the Mountains (aka Count of Monte Cristo), pub. by Fred Shaw of Lake Stevens. Since this has a zip code, it's not super old. This rock monolith at about 4800' elevation is 200 feet tall. If the fog is right, you can see if from Monte Cristo. Haven't climbed this one but have walked near by.
[i:56b0f8abed]Silver Lake near Monte Cristo, Wash.[/i:56b0f8abed] "Everett Wash Oct 20, 1909. Still out west and expect to stay awhile... (hard to decipher).
Silver Lake near Monte Cristo, Wash. "Everett Wash Oct 20, 1909. Still out west and expect to stay awhile... (hard to decipher).
[i:56b0f8abed]Twin Peaks, Cascade Range East of Everett, Washington. [/i:56b0f8abed]Does this look like the Twin Peaks near Twin Lakes?
Twin Peaks, Cascade Range East of Everett, Washington. Does this look like the Twin Peaks near Twin Lakes?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 pm 
Then I took a virtual century-old trip to Mt Index.
[i:79c837b011]Rugged Mountain Peaks, Cascade Range, near Everett, Wash.[/i:79c837b011] Mailed Oct 11, 1909.
4 labels
Rugged Mountain Peaks, Cascade Range, near Everett, Wash. Mailed Oct 11, 1909.
[i:79c837b011]Mt. Index, near Everett, Washington. [/i:79c837b011] Juleen. Mailed Oct 28, 1913.
Mt. Index, near Everett, Washington. Juleen. Mailed Oct 28, 1913.
Not sure where this one is from. Someone please identify:
[i:79c837b011]In the Cascade Range, Washington.[/i:79c837b011] Mailed July 22, 1908.
4 labels
In the Cascade Range, Washington. Mailed July 22, 1908.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm 
Very cool to see. up.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 am 
Yes, nice indeed. That last one is looking at Gunn Peak to Baring.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am 
Cool pics, MC history is very interesting. I wonder if any of the old structures up past the town site are still standing? Prob been 5 years or so since I have been up that way.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am 
Love that stuff.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostWed Feb 13, 2019 5:07 am 
The Twin Peaks photo sure looks like Mt Baker from the SE with Sherman Peak on the left. Nothing like that up at Twin Lakes that I recall.

gb

gb
PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:34 pm 
Love seeing old images of the Cascades and Olympics.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm 
My memory is a bit foggy and I can't tell from the postcard image and the one in my mind's eye. Is the formation "Count of Monte Cristo" the same as East Wilmans Spire? We climbed that decades ago...the descent was interesting....down an ice choked slot, we rappelled from an ice bollard.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm 
Nope. They are separate spires, not really close together. I’ve also climbed E Wilman’s spire, my first rock climb. Nice rappel.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 5:45 pm 
Cool post cards. There was a topic a while back asking the location of a similar old Gunn peak photo. A new photo was added as well. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3498&start=15

snoqpass

snoqpass
PostWed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 pm 
I’ve done similar hikes because of old postcards and try to figure out where the photographer stood originally then overlay the old and new

bk

bk
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am 
The location of "The Count" is shown here (the exact tip of the arrow). The satellite half lets you zoom in further than the topo half. Use the satellite half to zoom way in and you can see its prominent shadow. It's not necessarily a family-friendly location. It can be hard to spot from the valley below. A line from The Count to Wilman's Spire West is about 0.6 miles. A line from The Count to Wilman's Spire East is about 0.8 miles. When hiking in the area, trying to eyeball the location of The Count, it's easy to be distracted by the two Wilman's Spires because they are so high and prominent--silhouetted against the sky, projecting above the ridge, topping out around 6,800 feet or so (way above The Count). The Count, in comparison, is like a stick on a hillside (not obvious from the good postcard photo). While The Count looks formidable while standing next to it, it is barely at 4,800 feet or so . . . and maybe 80 or 120 feet tall(?) . . . and dwarfing The Count, as its backdrop, is almost 2,000-feet more of mountain above (and around) it. The Count is not silhouetted by the sky (on all sides) but is mainly swallowed up by the mountain. So, yes, The Count is silhouetted in the postcard photo, but mainly just from that angle. If one goes looking for The Count as shown in the postcard . . . one first easily sees the Wilman Spires, which distract with wildly imagined inspiration . . . and then when one finally twists one's brain to find and get to the location of The Count, it is basically a nub lost on a hillside in comparison (2,000 feet below the spires). And tricky to get to. Hiking in the area, the Wilman Spires are visible from everywhere . . . in contrast, The Count is invisible from nearly all those same locations.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:29 am 
Rarely, when the clouds are behind the Count, you can see it from near Monte Cristo.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am 
Thanks for the detailed info, bk. Great stuff!