Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gold Hills homesites at Crystal
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 am 
Does anyone know the story behind why there are lots for sale at Gold Hills at Crystal? I know this development has been there, I just didn't know there was additional land waiting to be sold. Will these nine lots tb the extent of it?And is the whole concierge service thing new? The development always looks sort of ramshackle to me but it sounds like it's now being run by a fancy developer. If I had an extra $700,000 burning a hole in my pocket…Though maybe not given recent fire events. https://goldhillestates.com/gold-hill

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am 
I assume the private property at the top of the Gold Hills chairlift stems from old mining claims that then became private property under the 1872 Mining Law. The majority of ski areas in the Western US are built on such claims. That is why ski areas in Colorado, Utah, and Montana have massive hotels, lodges, and McMansions scattered throughout the ski area versus the ski areas in the PNW, which have relatively few overnight establishments and private homes. There were many more mining claims made in the Rocky Mountains than in the Cascades because the rock is more exposed and less covered by vegetation (making it easier to identify the valuable minerals lying in the rock). There are mining claims turned private property in the Cascades, just not nearly as many as in the Rocky Mountains. The majority in the Cascades are east of the crest. The Gold Hills properties are surrounded by Forest Service land, so the amount of privaty property is fixed, but what to do on that private property is not fixed. Also, not sure of the legality of subdividing existing private property lots up there. The new land rush: In the West's mountains, old mining claims are the latest real estate hotspots

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am 
You can see the private property on the topomap. It's actually quite a bit, although it gets steep going up the ridge so this may be the extent of development in Gold Hills, at least until someone builds that backcountry ski lodge on the private property up at Pickhandle Gap

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am 
I am making a guess here. There was about 2 years a recent addition to the sewer system at Crystal. I wonder if there could not be new houses until the sewer system was upgraded to handle more flow. I think this upgrade to the sewer system was done also for the development of larger future hotel space at Crystal.

Art is an adventure.
hbb

hbb
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm 
altasnob wrote:
You can see the private property on the topomap. It's actually quite a bit, although it gets steep going up the ridge so this may be the extent of development in Gold Hills, at least until someone builds that backcountry ski lodge on the private property up at Pickhandle Gap
I never noticed that before, but looking at the maps now, I see that the wilderness boundary actually juts out around the private parcels to the southeast of Crown Point.