Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Injuries, recovery, and pain management
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 pm 
I am going to ask the Doc at my upcoming Apt....but wanted to ask here if anyone knows of side effects with getting a Cortizone or Cortisteroid shot? Has it worked for you? I did read that it can cause cartilage loss, but if I get an injection it will be in my upper arms.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 pm 
"Association of rapidly destructive osteoarthritis of the hip with intra-articular steroid injections" I've had 2-3 cortisone injections over the past few years - not into joint spaces - with good results and no perceived ill effects.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:43 pm 
Hi CJ - Never had one but have heard reports from various folks. Results seem to vary wildly depending on where the shot is going - that may have something to do with the MD's "aim" - ie, hitting the right structure just so, or just varying results depending on the structure(s) involved. This NYTimes article may be helpful; it addresses steroid effectiveness on soft tissue structures, like tendons - https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/do-cortisone-shots-actually-make-things-worse/ Note that the biggest change has been in medical understanding of what's happening in soft tissue - ie the problem isn't so much inflammation, but degeneration of the structure. The revised theory is that the steroid helps because it affects the surrounding nerve transmission of pain signals. If you have chronic pain b/c of rotator cuff tendon degeneration, that's a pretty debilitating problem when you're trying to do stuff. I'd say trying one shot won't hurt. But in the meantime, you have to stop hefting hay bales into the loft and slinging around other heavy stuff. Like they say, getting old isn't for sissies. tongue.gif flowers.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:02 am 
Thanks Annie! Pretty sure mine is muscle related, tearing-arthritis due to repetitive motion. If the doctor agrees and gives me the injections, I will likely only have it done once. Hopefully that will be enough to alleviate the pain long term, plus the warmer weather should help with flexibility. I have just really happy that I am progressing, albeit slowly.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.