Forum Index > Trip Reports > cabin mt 1-12-2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostThu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 pm 
cabin mt 1-12-2019
fun, quick and effortless snowshoe. others had encountered private property signs, but our route seemed to not have that issue. to help with their egos, i let eric and jake kick all the uphill steps :>) great group :>)
10.39 mi 2786' gain 3:26 car to summit 0:24 summit stay 2:14 summit to car 6:05 car to car
equipment: snowshoes equipment brought, but not used: crampons, ice axe

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 am 
I tried that route a couple of times and never quite made it , glad to see it went for you!

iron

iron
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:03 pm 
i know who put in the downhill "steps"

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 7:06 am 
And me! This past Sunday I originally had bigger plans, but after finding an injured musk rat in the morning and transporting it to the hospital, I lost a lot of time and had to quickly change plans in order to hike something easier and shorter, so Cabin Mountain it was. Anyway, while not much to is to be expected from Cabin Mountain, it actually does have some fun aspects. After zig-zaging in and around railroad tracks, private gates and powerlines you finally come to a giant boulder field ridge almost straight up to the top. The field itself is not giant (thankfully it is only about 0.5 miles, but the boulders are giant). It is now already extremely hot and snow is very heavy and wet and some creeks are opening up and maybe already in a few weeks there will be not enough snow coverage to safely climb the giant boulders, but this time I only really fell through up to my neck once and was able to climb out. The way is steep, but snow is open and fun. There are views to all three big lakes/reservoirs around – snowy Keechelus lake, snow free Kachess and snowy Easton. Far to the east Columbia river foothills are still snowy. Up north views start from the dry Easton ridge up to rugged Ingalls peak ridge. The summit itself opens up to Mount Rainier and just south of the summit there is also a fun open rock to scramble that gives an even more open view.

Type E

Type E
PostMon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 am 
I remember that boulder field very well , I thought I might get swallowed at any moment E