Forum Index > Links > Walking Nature World
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm 
My Judi Dench style pixie cut works fine for me--Just get it cut every 2 months. Otherwise, no fuss, no muss! Admittedly it's a bit inconvenient when doing my other hobby of Civil War reenacting, but I have several options for keeping my hair covered with the appearance of long hair underneath that seem to work.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm 
I admit I wish I looked better when out & about hiking. On the other hand, I don’t often care, but sometimes I feel like an overlooked, old clunk. I bet some women (and men) will start French braiding their hair after this thread. In the meantime, there’s this entertainment: Shallow theory on the hotness of women on NWH thread

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm 
that thread was hilarious

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSun Mar 17, 2019 3:10 am 
Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around. This was our day 7 of Camino del Norte when we hiked through the mountains from the village of Mutriku to Markina Xemein. That night was a hell, it was raining almost all the night and the morning and we slept only for a couple of hours. So we woke up very late at 9 am and then all day long we were feeling sleepy. We finally found the camping gas that we needed so badly already while we were paying for the night at the reception. We came down to the village Mutriku to go to the tourist office for the stamp and decided not to buy any food to go lightweight cause we knew we had to do 20 plus kms that day. We had a dillema in front of us. As we realized that the Camino wasn't going along the ocean coast and was going away from it in the mountains but we planned our route and the camping spots to stay in close to the coast. And now had to decide whether to follow our plans but go on the unknown car road or follow the Camino and stay in the hostels or stealth camping. Because there wasn't any camping sites in that places to our dissapointment all the way to Bilbao. And that would take us around 3 days to accomplish. And so hesitating which way to go we took the Camino and realized that it goes in different direction from the car road so we have no chance to check whether it was possible to walk there. But soon we were glad with our decision to take the Camino. We walked through the beautiful rural areas which looked like the eco farms with peaceful pastures and green eternal meadows. Mountains were everywhere and we met a lot of natural springs on our way that day. It was reminiscent to our home in the mountains and the route was very similar to the ones we take regularly while living in Eastern Pyrenees. The route was constantly going up and down giving the scenic views over the mountain peaks and the ocean mingling between the mountain ranges. The roads were quite dirty and slippery after the rainy days in some places so we had to walk carefully and watch the step. All that distance you pass by the farm houses, pastures and couple of restaurants and only at the end of the day you get to the city. So it's important to keep in mind that this day is quite long and challenging. The first uphill was the hardest though the rest of the way was quite gentle except for the entrance way to the city - that downhill was an absolute killer. We met the first bike pilgrims that were carring their bikes uphill but we must say it is a difficult trail if doing it by bike. Overall we met less pilgrims than the previous days. The weather was great that day sunny and warm with the clouds passing by and most of the route was going through the forest so walking was an absolute pleasure. But still at the end of the day we felt like we did too many kms from the soreness in the muscles and overall fatigue but for the most part it was because we didn't slept well the night before. So we got to the Markina Xemein city quite late at 7pm so we were rushing to buy some food and then to find a place to camp. We knew that all the places in hostels would be occupied so not to lose any time we headed out of the city searching for some dirt road to lead us to the field or the forest. Finally we found a place above the highway on the meadow close to the forest and almost at complete dark were ready to go to sleep. We understood that every day we can't do the same kind of distance for the long time. If not we would be fired up and couldn't continue our way. And as we didn't want to stop our Camino we decided to slow it down whenever it's possible. And also try to start hike early to come to the places earlier so that we have more time to recover. So with all these thoughts we were falling asleep. Watch the full video here:
Hope you enjoyed our video! Leave us a comment if you have any further questions left or just want to share your experience. We would love to read your feedback - it is very important to us!

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 am 
In today's video I will share with you my favourite full body yoga stretching routine. This is a compilation of the different yoga postures that I find to be the most effective to release the sore muscles. I love doing it several times a week while I am on a long hike of after having the intense exercise routine. It is also great for the whole body relaxation and creating the meditative state of mind. So let's begin! Watch the full video here:
Thank you for joining me here for this stretching routine. Hope that you enjoyed this practice! I am curious to know what stretching routine you prefer, let me know in the comments.

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 am 
This post seems to be miscategorized. It should be in the Saloon, or (if you're imaginitive and humorous) "gear".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am 
The research shows that stretching doesn't help muscle soreness from weight lifting. "Active recovery" like going for a walk or bike ride does, although sometimes at the expense of feeling more fatigued. Stretching is heart for mobility though.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 11:42 am 
You can be right, but it feels good to stretch the muscles from time to time to release the tension especially from the back. And I still feel like the combination of stretch and active recovery works best.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 3:00 pm 
I tend to think of stretching as injury prevention. One morning last week I noticed that somebody had thrown a beer can in my yard. It was early and I went out to pick it up and slipped on the ice. I didn't fall but I tweaked my back trying to catch myself. I should have stretched first. biggrin.gif I liked the video routine.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 pm 
RichP wrote:
I tend to think of stretching as injury prevention. One morning last week I noticed that somebody had thrown a beer can in my yard. It was early and I went out to pick it up and slipped on the ice. I didn't fall but I tweaked my back trying to catch myself. I should have stretched first. biggrin.gif I liked the video routine.
Sure, it can serve as an injury prevention as well and help in the every day life. Thank you for the great example:)

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 4:25 pm 
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 12:51 am 
ranger rock wrote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the feedback. Glad that you found it interesting.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSat Mar 23, 2019 11:26 am 
Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around. On the day 8 of our Camino de Santiago del Norte we did 27 kms going from Markina-Xemein to the Gernika village. We got up to the beautiful sunny morning in the little forest above the highway that we found yesterday night. The night was extremely quiet and calm and nothing could disturb our sleep. We were lucky to find this place quite fast and not going very far from the city. As it's been extremely hard the last couple of days to find a camp spot because of the area being very populated and with lots of traffic. I did my stretching yoga routine in the morning as it was very needed for my sore muscles. We still felt tired because the tireness accumulated from day to day. But we had to do the 25 km going from Markina Xemein to Gernika city and we had no other option but to start the trail. We knew that we won't have a camping there and we'll have to find a stealth camping spot so we moved as quickly as possible. After the previous quite hard route in the mountains we were ready for the hard trail. But the Camino started quite smoothly going along the river and then gently starting to go uphill. We walked through several little villages that day and there were some pavement routes but the most of the day we were walking in the forest enjoying the greenery of it, the shadow that it gave us and the fresh air. And we even called this day the green forest day. The places were very unique with the houses and farms in beetween the mountains coming out of nowhere. The whole region that we were walking through the last days was like that. Sometimes we even wondered how the people can manage to get to their houses as all the the roads were dirt roads and the whole area was very rural. But it was very special and we enjoyed being around it. We met the cutest pigs ever pasturing in some garden and they were the highlight of the day for sure. Also we put a stamp in the beautiful monastery that we met on the way that also had an albergue in it. There wasn't any steep uphills or downhills so the route turned out to be quite easy for us. But because of our general exhaustement at the end of the day we were killed and tired. We promised ourselves yesterday that we wouldn't do more than 20 km a day but we had to do it because there just wasn't any camping or shop earlier on the way and for us it is very important cause we prefer to stay in our tent and cook our own food. So for us it was twice as hard. At the end we had to walk around 3 km more to the spot where it was possible to camp. As we said it is super hard to find these spots in the region. But the spot we found was very nice and quiet located in the dense forest. And we even managed to have an improvised shower cause we couldn't stand more to hike the third day being all sweaty and sticky. So we made the holes in the water bottle and we had the best moment of the day washing off all this sweat and dirt. Then we had our dinner and went to sleep right away. On the next day we woke up in our luxurious camping spot in the forest and felt all worn out and broken so weren't sure about how we will start the Camino today. We tried to plan it yesterday and all we saw was that we are coming close to the big city Bilbao and that there isn't any camping spot in the area. And we didn't want the repetition of the same situation over and over again when we had to search hard and walk extra kms to find the stealth camping spot after we already did more that 20. And we had to make this decision. It was very hard for us but we did it for the sake of our health and the rest of the Camino. So we decided to take the bus from Gernika where we were at that moment to Bilbao and then from Bilbao to Castro Urdiales where the next camping spot was and where we could start the Camino again. So we were about to sacrifice about 3 days of the Camino. We felt quite bad about it because it was absolutely possible to do if we weren't searching so hard for the camping spot every day and pushing to our physical limits. Because there are a lot of albergues and not a single camping on this part of the way for the people like us who enjoy doing it this way. If it was like that we could continue going and didn't have this situation of extreme tireness. So we felt like it was quite unfair. What do you think of it? Are there any camping fans as us experiencing the same problems? We need to know that we are not alone. So we catched the bus (the transport connection is very nice here) and were in Bilbao in 30 min probably. We saw the big mountains in the background and thought that maybe we skipped the most difficult part of the Camino. But we tried not to think about it as it wasn't our intention anyway. Bilbao seemed to us very huge city that spreaded all around the coast. We saw lots of factories and port facilities while we were passing through it on the bus. And wondered how the Camino goes in these places and thought that probably we won't miss much just taking a bus and skipping the city part. At least it was the best decision for us-nature lovers. So we hoped on another bus going to Castro Urdiales and in 20 minutes we were at the place. We rushed to the only supermarket that was open on Sunday and fortunately we were on time and bought everything we needed and went to the camping. To our surprise the camping was very close to the Camino trail so the next day we didn't have to go very far to start going. The rest of the day was filled with very trivial things like doing washing up, drying our clothes, charging our gear etc. And most importantly we had time to rest and recover a bit from the last crazy days that we had before. Watch the full video here:
Hope you enjoyed our video! Leave us a comment if you have any further questions left or just want to share your experience. We would love to read your feedback - it is very important to us!

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am 
Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around. On the Day 9 of our Camino de Santiago del Norte we hiked from the town Castro-Urdiales to the coastal village Oriñon. That night it was raining a bit and the highway that was under our camping was quite noisy all night long. But we had some good sleep and were planning to do 15 km to Orinon. Only in the morning we realized how cool the spot where we camped was with the views of the ocean and coast and no one around. We met the stunning sunrise there, had our breakfast, packed everything up and were good to go. Also we figured out that we're in the other province now in Cantabria we moved from Viscaya very quickly without even noticing it. We understood it by different indicators because that is what you first see on the way. We were glad to be back on the trail and keep on walking and moving forward. We started probably at 11 am so not very early but we knew that the distance that we planned we should do without a problem. First part of the way was going along the highway without any interesting scenery or views. But when we crossed it by the tunnel the route started to go closer to the coast and we finally saw the great and incomparable Ocean! We were so happy to see it and to be able to walk close to it again. As you can see we missed it a lot, its sound, its smell and look. The route was partly going on gravel ground partly on asphalt but was very easy overall especially comparing our previous days in the mountains. But it was very needed then, this chill out day. Because we didn't want to skip days, we wanted to keep on moving but just less distance. The less distance you go the more you see and feel the place so we always try to remember it and not start to race for the kms number. We didn't find a place to put a stamp in that day as all the churches were closed and there wasn't any tourist offices. The area was quite rural that we were passing by comparing to Viscaya province, we saw more old villages and more vegetable gardens with farmers working in it. And we didn't hear the Euskara language anymore just the Spanish. We tasted the most delicious figs right from the fig tree by the route - they were so juicy and sweet. We met some pilgrims that we didn't know because we skipped part of the way and we simply didn't come across with them like we did on our initial route. The Camino continued along the ocean and we decided to take the round in Las Islares to go even closer to the cliffs cause the map was showing us some path there. It was very picturesque with unusual relief place but at the end we turned to the wrong direction and then had a hard time finding the way out. So couldn't recommend anyone with a backpack to take it. Better just to follow it for 1 km to see the view and go back to follow the Camino. We are fans of doing rounds and taking alternatives but this one is not perfect at all. Sometimes it felt like there was no actual path there and we had to go blindly. Then we came out to the beach of Arenillas, ate the ice cream there because the weather was quite hot and continued on to Orinon. Almost all the route to Orinon was going on the highway because there was just no other way there. And we had to do the big round going over the area where the river comes into ocean. But when we crossed the bridge there was a dirt road that we took and the area was quite unique with the river coloured in turquoise, lots of herons around and rocky mountains in the background. After this 3 km of beautiful route we got to Orinon, checked in in the campground and even had time to go to the beach to have a snack there. This rythm of the day was appealing more to us and we were aiming to continue our Camino this way. Less kms, coming early to the spot and have more time to breath and enjoy the places. Watch the full video here:

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 8:55 am 
In this video we are willing to share with you 3 of our favourite easy to cook meals on a daily basis when we are on a long hike and out camping. We realized that these are the dishes that we most often go for and like the best. All of them are going to be vegetarian friendly, have simple ingredients, based on grains and using as much of the fresh vegetables as possible. So if you are a lover of home made and healthy food this is a video for you! Let's get started! Watch the full video here:
Let us know which meal out of three you prefer more leaving us a comment below. And feel free to share your own favourite meals to cook when camping, we would love to learn new tricks and techniques.