Forum Index > Trip Reports > 3 mountain lions encountered on my night hike this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:13 am 
I have a lot of folks question the wisdom of hiking at night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 12:29 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
...and the Cougar supposedly weighed 250 lbs! They must also have been high, I think the record is around 200-210.
I wish I could find the online article now ('cause the story is quite interesting), but about 20-25 years ago I read a story by the owner of a sporting goods store/gas station about a couple of guys who were out hunting cougar on New Years eve in western ND, and shot one that weighed in at 255. What I remember about the event as told, was that near dusk the cat jumped down into a sinkhole, and the dogs wouldn't go after it, so one of the hunters did! eek.gif And initially, he couldn't find the cat! However, when he looked into a "cave" in the side of the sinkhole, he saw the cat. He then emptied his .45 into the hole and never even hit it! Cat jumped out, and one of the other guys shot it. New year's eve, jumping into a hole in the ground after a cougar....could have any alcohol been involved?! Right.....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 1:38 pm 
I love these stories..Ive seen two adults crossing roads..Teanaway and 112 on penninsula years ago..and saw a little one on the way out of cape Avlah..all a long time ago..bob cats seem more prevalent to me.. .they say u can never take the wild out of a cat..they can be fierce for sure!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The Wild Turkey population has exploded here in recent years, so it stands to reason that there will be more Cougs around these parts.
Most Cougs drink Pabst that they get down at the local grocery store, and probably won't drive far for Wild Turkey, not even the 101 or Master's Keep Revival. Same for most of the Vandals. The Zags probably occasionally partake of Holy Wine at Mass, but are fond of PBR too. Not sure what the Huskies and the Grizzlies drink...probably PBR too.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
It seems that Mountain Lion populations might be increasing?
Might be? Really. The second they disallowed dogs in hunting cougars cougar hunting for the most part stopped! Of course the population is increasing! They have NO predators save us.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 9:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
They have NO predators save us.
Bet a grizz could take one down!!!

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:37 pm 
Q....You know how to keep a Cougar out of your yard and away from your house? A.....put up goalposts.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Mar 23, 2019 3:51 am 
I am pretty sure that there are more 4 legged Cougs here in NIdaho than the single 2 legged variety, and I don't even care if they are Cougs fans.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Q....You know how to keep a Cougar out of your yard and away from your house? A.....put up goalposts.
confused.gif Then Chief Joseph said (in part): "...and I don't even care if they are Cougs fans." NOW I get it! winksmile.gif Yeah, I'm not "from around here"... even though I visit often. (Go Ducks!).

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 am 
I’m curious about the idea of a bull horn to scare away a cougar? Could this work? I’ve become a bit jittery in the woods since the recent fatalities.

mosey

mosey
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 10:13 am 
Roly Poly wrote:
I’m curious about the idea of a bull horn to scare away a cougar? Could this work? I’ve become a bit jittery in the woods since the recent fatalities.
Could it work? Yes, it might. Clanging metal works to scare away goats and bears consistently. Will it work? Well, if it is your only option than you'd better hope you don't meet a deaf cougar. Personal protection seems like a dead beaten horse on outdoorsman forums, but if you have to ask then it probably won't save your life. I wouldn't worry about encountering one though, the odds are infinitesimal (coincidentally, almost as good as the odds as someone who doesn't want or practice with a piece actually hitting something in an emergency). FWIW my grandmother's hiking buddy whacked a calmly approaching cougar with a trekking pole and it walked away.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 7:10 pm 
Well it doesn't surprise me that more and more cougars are becoming a more common occurrence. Might friend had 3 in his yard 2 weeks ago in Twisp. We can thank Inslee for part of the reason the population is allowed to grow. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/inslee-reverses-panels-decision-to-increase-cougar-hunts/

filbert

filbert
PostSun Mar 24, 2019 7:34 pm 
Quote:
Clanging metal works to scare away goats and bears consistently.
We were camping in Jasper Provincial park years ago. As I was making dinner I saw a black bear approaching our site. I banged away with some cookwear. The bear paused ever so slightly before apparently concluding that this must have been the dinner-bell and continuing to amble toward me. Nothing I could do to keep it from grabbing some of our food, though I managed to get most of it into the bear-resistance box. So call me a bit skeptical about metal clanging being a good deterrent, though clearly the habituation of living near a campground could make some difference. Not going to trust to that!

With every passing hour our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as progress.
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 4:55 am 
Its like ringing a dinner bell

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Mar 25, 2019 9:42 am 
filbert wrote:
The bear paused ever so slightly before apparently concluding that this must have been the dinner-bell and continuing to amble toward me.
Many years ago I was with a scout troop camping in Minnesota. One morning around 5 I heard a commotion and when I looked out of the tent, there was the scout master (a big, tall guy), in his underwear, chasing a bear with a stick! The bear had one of our coolers in its mouth. He retrieved the cooler and bear left in a hurry. Quite funny actually.