Forum Index > Trail Talk > New research reveals another attractant for mosquitoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am 
See article here Apparently, the normal sequence is female mosquitoes first detect the CO2 coming from our breath. They can do this from over 30 feet away. Then as they get closer, they smell, using receptors in their antennae, the scent from various chemicals in our sweat (like Lactic acid). This is the new finding, although the article doesn't say how far away they can do this. Then when they get really close, they are further drawn to us by our body heat. It's like these guys ("gals" actually, the males don't bite) were engineered to find us! But the article points out there's a positive side to this in that they may be able to disrupt the mosquitoes' receptors used to detect human scent and thereby create a new type of mosquito repellent or enhance existing ones. Also, a linked article from 2015 shows the effectiveness of various repellents. Most of the people on this site already know DEET is considered the most effect repellent currently, but "Cutter lemon eucalyptus insect repellent", which has no DEET in it, was surprisingly effective, nearly as much as DEET!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 11:10 am 
Navy salad wrote:
Cutter lemon eucalyptus insect repellent",
I don’t care for sicky sweet smelly flowery fruity stuff when I’m out; coconut scented sunscreen, eucalyptus-lemon bug dope, Off!, etc; drives me crazy; I like to smell the vegetation & soils; but perhaps the new research will help develop new goop, though I’m happy with the goop I use.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 11:27 am 
DEET makes a good hair product too! It's like putting moroccan oils in your hair!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 12:06 pm 
Vicks and Mentholatum help take away the sting and itch of the bite, not sure if it repels them at all.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.