Forum Index > Trip Reports > Old Baldy (Clearwater Wilderness Area) – 31 March, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 7:45 pm 
Craig W and I got out for a great spring climb of this fine peak in the Clearwater Wilderness Area. We ran into snow on the approach road at ~3,000 ft (about 0.5 miles from the summer starting point) and parked at 3,100 ft when the snow got too deep for my vehicle. We also had nearly continuous snow for the climb, with zero brush, and saw no other people or tracks all day. The snow conditions were reasonable with ankle to boot top step kicking in places. We carried snow shoes but never used them. The views of the north side of Rainier were outstanding. All in all a great spring trip. A few pictures may follow once I figure out what Flickr has done. I am currently over my limit with the new restrictions Flickr has put on its free accounts and I need to free up some space before posting any new pictures.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostSun Mar 31, 2019 10:30 pm 
Were you able to drive as far as the point where the jeep spur leaves Cayada Creek road? We did this climb last May in unsettled weather and determined, too late, that it is probably easier to head up the wooded spur from the switchback below the beaver dam. Thanks for the report!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message