Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whats the deal with the enchantments date
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 7:49 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Just day-trip it and then do an "emergency bivy" or two.
I'm thinkin' of wearing camo and crawlin' through the brush!!! Gotta get in somehow!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 pm 
The Forest Service does math differently than the Hordes. In FS maths, $26 is actually $32. I don't really mind. In fact, I usually buy an overpriced book, or one of those surprisingly low quality t-shirts when I stop in at the Ranger Shack. If they had a tip jar, I'd probably throw a couple'a bucks in there, too. They've helped me out a bunch of times. In Marblemount one time, they even let me in to the secret back room to use the giant satellite communicator machine. I'll never enter that cursed lottery, because I suck at gambling. Even if I did win a pass, I'd probably lose it back to them somehow. Fortunately, I excel at walk-up. 8 wins in 8 tries- I've never even had to come back a second day.

monkeypuzzled

monkeypuzzled
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm 
I have been to the Enchantments twice--once when I first came to Washington in the early 90s, and then when I won the lottery two years ago. I kind of feel like that's all I get. I won't be applying again.

“Hunters will tell you that a moose is a wily and ferocious forest creature. Nonsense. A moose is a cow drawn by a three-year-old.” --Bill Bryson
schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 6:20 pm 
I took an (unsuccessful) stab at getting a Core permit at 0700 this morning. There were NO Enchantment permits available at the opening bell! In perusing the schedule for the entire summer it would appear that they won't even be offering walkups this year as there are only three days (all in early May) with any availability at all. Oh well

reststep

reststep
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:36 pm 
As far as I know they will still have the walk up lottery at the ranger station every morning at 7:45 am except on Sundays when they are closed. I believe it is one permit for each zone.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
hbb

hbb
PostMon Apr 01, 2019 8:38 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I took an (unsuccessful) stab at getting a Core permit at 0700 this morning. There were NO Enchantment permits available at the opening bell! In perusing the schedule for the entire summer it would appear that they won't even be offering walkups this year as there are only three days (all in early May) with any availability at all. Oh well
There are 24 persons allowed in the Core each night. 16 spots go through the lottery, the remaining 8 are for walk-ups. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev3_053607 You have much better odds on a walk-up than a lottery entry.

bradmbaldwin

bradmbaldwin
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I was able to get a core permit on the 1st. There were a lot available, just not right at 7am; they popped up more around 7:05ish

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 pm 
bradmbaldwin wrote:
just not right at 7am; they popped up more around 7:05ish
Typical trickery!! Posting one time then adherin' to another!!! They need to be punctual!! Its of utmost importance!! Def something fishy bout this!

bradmbaldwin

bradmbaldwin
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 5:49 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
bradmbaldwin wrote:
just not right at 7am; they popped up more around 7:05ish
Typical trickery!! Posting one time then adherin' to another!!! They need to be punctual!! Its of utmost importance!! Def something fishy bout this!
It’s a little tricky, on the one table they have : “Unclaimed permits will be returned to the reservation system at 7:00 a.m. PT” Then if you scroll down a little they have in bold : “All unclaimed lottery awards will be returned to the advance reservation system April 1 around 7a.m. PT.” The “around” wording is what made me sit and keep refreshing the page.