Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > what canadian mountain city would you move to?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:26 am 
I remember talking with a man who lost his appendix while visiting Libya while on vacation. In the end he was fine, but remembered talking with a man who was cleaning his room one day. The conversation made its way to how much the man made to clean his room. He thought that seemed fairly normal for that kind of work. Then he found out that's also what the doctor who performed his surgery made! He was informed that EVERYONE in Libya, regardless of what you did made the same hourly wage! WOW! lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 7:46 am 
Tom wrote:
Have prescription costs really increased that much?
To take one of the most common drugs, Humalog insulin has increased 700%, from $21 a dose to $255 a dose, in 20 years. My son takes 3 doses a day. 30-40 years ago I was paying about $80 a year for health insurance. Before I went on Medicare, I was paying about $1200 a month for an individual policy. As I said, there was a time went health care wasn't the largest expense after a house mortgage.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 8:13 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The Canada Health Act does not cover prescription drugs, home care or long-term care, prescription glasses or dental care. Costs for prescription drugs come out of your own pocket unless you have extended Health Insurance
Interesting, what's your source of information? This is very different from one of my brother-in-laws experience. He moved to Canada in the '70s, practiced as an independent psychotherapist, had "landed immigrant" status, but never became a Canadian citizen. He then had a stroke and became completely disabled at age 59. He had purchased disability insurance to provide income, but 95% of that income wasn't needed as the BC health care system took excellent care of him, the only out of pocket expenses was the extra he paid for having a TV in his room and for an aid to wheel him out to the park once a week. He lived until age 67 -- my wife, who had been his DPOA managing his care inherited a considerable sum that was all from disability policy payments that had not been spent --because he didn't need to pay for his care in a Vancouver nursing home. ETA: He lived the majority of his life in Ottawa, Ontario, but when he became disabled, my wife moved him to Vancouver so that visiting him would only involve driving and not flying. This didn't have an effect on whether he was covered by the provincial health system.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 am 
Schroder wrote:
Tom wrote:
Have prescription costs really increased that much?
To take one of the most common drugs, Humalog insulin has increased 700%, from $21 a dose to $255 a dose, in 20 years. My son takes 3 doses a day. 30-40 years ago I was paying about $80 a year for health insurance. Before I went on Medicare, I was paying about $1200 a month for an individual policy. As I said, there was a time went health care wasn't the largest expense after a house mortgage.
That was during the time when there was far more of an actual market.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 am 
Please dont bang me for politics, this is a true story. In 1964 my brother was two years old. He was with my dad at work on a saturday and he wondered off. When my dad found him he had been hit by some logs that had rolled off the stack they were sitting on. He was rushed to the hospital and straight into surgery. In the end he had surgery to relieve pressure on his brain from a partially crushed skull and some other brain issues I don't remember the exact details. In total he had three surgeries, 4 days in ICU, two weeks in the hospital (Overlake) and some other related things. I mother showed me the bill from all of that. The bill was 275.00! It has been explained to me, and frankly I agree with it, that before the government and to a degree insurance companies got involved doctors could only reasonably charge what people could afford to pay! Makes sense. Think about this as well, back then it didnt cost 200,000 to get a college degree either! Why, because the government and student loans werent involved and educational institutions could only reasonably charge what people could afford to pay. If Im wrong here, please explain to me why?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 3:27 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Interesting, what's your source of information?
I was quoting from an article that someone posted earlier in the thread... https://backcountrycanadatravel.com/why-moving-to-canada-is-a-bad-idea/

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:04 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Interesting, what's your source of information?
I was quoting from an article that someone posted earlier in the thread... https://backcountrycanadatravel.com/why-moving-to-canada-is-a-bad-idea/
The whole article reads like an Oregon "ungreeting" card -- "Come on vacation, then go home"

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:29 pm 
BPJ if someone doesn't pay their fair share it just gets shifted to someone else. Cost-shifting doesn't really change the overall cost of healthcare. That analysis I linked seems to imply much of the cost inflation has to do with an aging population and unhealthy lifestyles.

iron

iron
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 pm 
Quote:
DENVER — A Florida student who officials said was on a “pilgrimage” to Columbine near the 20th anniversary of the shooting was found dead on Wednesday. Her threats had prompted a massive police hunt in the Denver area and the closing of hundreds of schools. Sheriff Jeff Shrader of Jefferson County, Colo., said the woman, identified as Sol Pais, 18, was found dead from an “apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.” Before she was found, the authorities said Ms. Pais had traveled to Denver and was considered armed and “extremely dangerous,” leading to the decision to keep about half a million students home in two dozen school districts.
Quote:
“It’s sad and scary,” said Jeff Desserich, a math teacher at a charter school in Denver, who spent the morning trying to explain to his daughters Anais, 8, and Elena, 6, why they would not be going to class. “I said, ‘There is a lady, she probably has some sort of mental health issue,’” he said, “And I talked a little about the sad events of Columbine and how her flying to Denver and buying a weapon, that’s a really big flag for law enforcement.”
i'm sure they're all happy to live in a land of freedom with rights. anyway, more suggestions always appreciated.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 pm 
Are the rules not clear regarding discussion of guns politics? If so, please review our TOS here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7976546 I'm going to lock this since I do not sense a good faith commitment.