Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail mapping project - Kettle Mtns - Sherman Pass and beyond
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 3:13 pm 
That is cool, but I have never been for want of a map that is accurate when I am in the Kettle Crest area? The 7.5 minute USGS maps always seemed adequate?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
glenoid

glenoid
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 6:49 pm 
Seems like a waste of time to me. Like Schenk, a 7.5 is fine. The Kettles are so straight forward a Forest Service map would suffice. Water source locations would be nice, though those change quite frequently depending on the time of year.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 pm 
Seems like a total waste-- At least they could up it on OSM instead of one dude just owning the data.

neek

neek
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm 
Jaberwock wrote:
At least they could up it on OSM instead of one dude just owning the data.
No kidding. Web site (which looks a bit stale) mentions an iOS app in the works. Not very useful to me.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm 
from the news article Joey posted:
Quote:
Solitude is still the name of the game, with none of the crowding and overuse found in the Cascades or other charismatic mountain ranges.
So, why do they think publicizing and doing extremely detailed maps would do anything other than change that? The gal wants to "help" the Kettles, but how does that help? Seriously. I'm not just snarking. OK, maybe a little. tongue.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 pm 
The Kettles will never be crowded like the Cascades. It's a very long drive, you have to stay in Republic ... I don't know if any of you have ever been to Republic but it's some kind of alternate universe where 35F in Kettle is like -10F in Leavenworth. Finally, it's lovely out there, but it's not the Cascades. I had a great time riding up to Sherman Pass last year.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Feb 25, 2019 11:00 pm 
Aaah you don't need a map in those parts, it's just a crest

markweth

markweth
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am 
I hiked the Kettle Crest Trail last year and was able to get by just fine with the maps available, but I certainly would have purchased a more detailed map if one was available. I thought the Kettles were a really neat range and rather charming, although the long stretches of burned area were disappointing. Not sure how many crowds they would draw as they aren't very Instagram-able since they lack the rock and ice and rugged majesty of the Cascades. Not sure how many people would be inspired to make the trip from Spokane (much less Seattle) for the opportunity to take a selfie in a burned forest with non-descript (but distinctly beautiful) vistas behind them. I'm being a bit tongue in cheek there, of course. I really liked the campsite at Jungle Hill, the spring was lovely, and the sunset was spectacular. But again, not something I think most people would put a lot of effort into traveling to experience. That said, the Kettles are a great range for those who are really into the outdoor experience (trail running, mountain biking, hunting, etc.) and doing it for the "love" and not for the social media "likes". More power to those folks doing the maps for taking on a project that will make it easier to navigate in that area and especially for looking to document reliable water sources.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I had a great time riding up to Sherman Pass last year.
Mountain biking along the Kettle Crest is fun too. North from Sherman Pass to Jungle Hill, and beyond, is the best. I found the trails to the south to be rockier and harder to ride due to the large size of the cobbles. I suppose a 29"-er would make it a bit better. If someone wants to make new maps of the Kettle Crest I would not tell them not to. Good, functional, maps exist already and new maps alone probably won't inspire crowds to suddenly want to visit. Maybe the best part of cartography is field research and proofing, and it is a labor of love !!!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 pm 
I agree with much of the sentiment above, but I would encourage them to get the map made, especially if one form ends up in a durable print or PDF format. A good map represents the condition of the area at the time the map is made and acts like a time capsule as the years roll on. If they map out where the trailheads, fences, roads, trails, cabins, and other things are that could be fascinating and useful to someone in 30 years. The online maps keep getting updated which is great for current use, but not for looking backward.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 pm 
When do the Kettles melt out? Any guesses when there trails will be in bloom? I'd like to explore this spring. smile.gif

markweth

markweth
PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 pm 
I hiked there in early July last year and everything was completely melted out. I think I was a bit past peak for some of the wildflowers, but it was still a pretty good show. I think mid June would probably be good.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm 
One tidbit: the article quotes Bob Whittaker, a "local and driver behind the Ferry county Rail Trail." And also the son of a very famous mountain climber.

MultiUser

MultiUser
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm 
Typically wild flowers are in bloom for the Evergreen MTB event 'Kettlefest' in early July. It's not unusual to have a snowbank or two either.