Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Dislocated shoulder
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm 
This happened a couple weeks ago. Got an MRI on it, and this is what they found... 1. Full-thickness full width tears of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. 2. Partial-thickness articular surface tear superior distal subscapularis. Moderate background tendinosis. 3. Full-thickness fissuring and irregularity of the inferior glenoid cartilage. 4. Fraying at the biceps tendon anchor. 5. Posterior superior subluxation of the humerus. Moderate joint effusion. As usual, this accident happened right before all the sweet trails are becoming usable. Has anyone gone through this? Do you opt for surgery? What was the recovery time and end result. Thank you. up.gif ~Alexander

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 8:00 pm 
I've dislocated my left shoulder. My injury stretched/ thinned, but did not tear the tendons. For me the recommendation was immobilization for six weeks and then physical therapy. Months of working with bands and then weights improved things considerably-- however my shoulder still "talks to me" when I whitewater paddle or sea kayak in rough conditions and need to brace or roll, which involves having my arm under load above the shoulder. My memory of my orthopedic discussion was that since I had not torn the tendons, that surgery wasn't useful, but that if I had torn them apart that they would never reconnect without surgery. Best of luck and may you have a complete and speedy recovery.

AR

AR
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm 
Thanks for the input R.H.

andypandy

andypandy
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 pm 
Blew out my labrum- surgery, 6 weeks in a sling followed by 6 months of physical therapy. The physical therapy was mostly to regain strength and range of motion lost by being in a sling for 6 weeks. I had it done 15 years ago, when I was in high school, and can still feel it every once in a while. Yours sounds more serious, but I expect the recovery plan is probably similar.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 am 
Ripped my rotator cuff a couple years ago. Part of my rehab for range of motion was using a pulley device to assist in recovery. I have 2 of these and will give them to you if you like. I had them set up around the house and yard. Found it difficult to not do a set of exercises when they were readily available. PM me if you would like them. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am 
Thanks to paddling, I've had similar rotator cuff issues with both shoulders. And yes, I opted for surgery. If you go that route, be diligent with your rehab and PT, and you should be good to go. FYI, I was hiking again about 2 weeks after each surgery. Started on easier hikes with less chance of slipping / falling. I pushed it a bit after the second shoulder repair and jumped on the Walt Bailey probably a bit too soon. It was a rainy day, and while dropping over the edge from the lakes I ended up slipping and falling. Feet just went out from under me and I landed on my arms. Not good. Doc felt I didn't compromise the repairs, but I felt it set me back a bit in my rehab (as compared to the first surgery). FYI, while in the sling it was pretty easy to wear a daypack and secure it with just the good arm through the one shoulder strap with the sternum strap and waist belt clipped. Worked quite well. I've also popped an upper tendon on both my biceps. Goes hand in hand with compromised rotator cuff, as the bicep and tendons work overtime to compensate for the weak shoulder. Didn't do anything for those but take it easy for a while. The severed tendon eventually reseats itself, albeit in a different location. So you end up with a "balled up" bicep. But your bicep does adapt to the different position of neutrality. Good fun!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm 
That's a pretty long list of torn up equipment. Don't think mine was anywhere near that bad. My labrum was toast and the shoulder so lax I could dislocate it by rolling over on it in my sleep. Surgery fixed it. 8 weeks in a sling and several months of rehab to regain range of motion and strength and it's more or less good as new. I have about 97% of the range of motion I have in my right shoulder but it's never bothered me otherwise.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:16 pm 
I've had a torn rotator cuff (due to a bone spur) with no dislocation of the shoulder joint; and dislocation of the shoulder (from a bicycle accident) with no torn rotator -- so these don't necessarily go together. For the torn rotator, they just did an arthroscopic repair that worked great and healed well. Do a search on Youtube ("arthroscopic rotator cuff repair") to see an example of the actual surgery! For a dislocation, the complicated part is keeping the joint together during the long healing process. For this reason, at least in the past, many surgeries would fail. My surgeon used a relatively new procedure he was excited about using a "tight-rope anchor" (essentially button-like disks, complete with "button holes", above and below the joint that are cinched together and maintain joint stability during the healing and after), which he said has a much higher success rate. For either one, be sure to do ALL your physical therapy and don't go overboard on resistance even if you're in great physical condition. Good luck with the healing!

Frango

Frango
PostSat Apr 06, 2019 8:42 pm 
I’m Currently spending quality time in a sling, post-op biceps tendon repair. I had a partially torn rotator cuff and a biceps tendon that looked like a frayed old climbing rope. My surgeon and I opted to ignore the rotator cuff in favour of the tenodesis which hopefully will provide a quicker recovery. They tell me I’ll be in the sling for another week, then passive range of motion only for another month...then back at it as hard as I want. Fingers crossed!!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 pm 
Full thickness tears of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons would concern me. Those are vital tendons for full function of the rotator cuff and likely will need surgical repair. Talk to your orthopedist honestly about what likely happens without surgery (hopefully you will get an honest response, but surgeons do like to do surgery) if you are really considering that option.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 pm 
Alexander, I agree with Belividere - that's long list of broke stuff. Wondering what your orthopedist recommends...also if you plan to get a 2nd opinion. I see that you're not in Seattle, but I'd highly recommend getting a cc of your radiology report, and while considering the doctor opinions, also get a consult with Penny or Jeff Coppersmith. I don't know them personally, but one of my clients got excellent rehab at their clinic. Often consulting with a very experienced PT will give a perspective on how things might go if you want to avoid surgery. Often what determines whether surgery would help is the amt of pain you're in, and the condition of your ROM. Shoulders are tough. Best wishes for good healing.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
AR

AR
PostSun Apr 28, 2019 3:44 am 
Thanks all for the information and offer of pulleys from Waterman. You guys/gals are great! If the PT provider recommends it, I'll PM you as asked, thanks again. This certainly came out of nowhere and I'm surprised how bad the damage is. Who the hell rips their arm off getting out of bed and falling backwards?! Some motion has returned, but certain movements bring a new meaning of pain. I opted to sit this out with no pain meds until after surgery. So it's a daily pain in the ass to say the least. The surgeon at Skagit Valley was very knowledgeable and understanding of what happened. He wants two weeks of physical therapy before the surgery to see if there's any chance of healing without surgery. And the P.T. will make recovery easier after surgery. Looks like it will be the last week of May for arthroscopic surgery. I'll drop back in and give a report here if anything changes or after surgery. Surgery is one of those things that really scare the hell out of me. Feel free to drop any ideas or comments, I'll check back in here in a bit. I love how we still have Emojis from the late cretaceous period of the internet. rockband.gif