20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
thoughts on which one will be the last to disappear between i-90 and hwy 2? i see three candidates:
1. lynch
2. stuart
3. overcoat

i'm thinking lynch.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm 
I haven't looked at the mass of Lynch vs Stuart, but the latter spends more time in the shade, so I voted for Stuart.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
nickmtn

nickmtn

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:44 pm 
Ice Cliff on Mount Stuart. Big cliffs on 3 sides for shade
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 4:22 pm 
For the Ice Cliff or Stuart-- will these still count as glaciers once the mass has shrunk to the point that they no longer form ice at the bottom and creep down the mountain?

Those might remain as permanent snowfield longer, but if the criteria is glacier -- doesn't a lack of movement mean that it no longer a glacier?

But according to UK tabloids, a new ice age is coming and those glaciers are about to go on a growth spurt

https://www.unilad.co.uk/science/scientists-predict-new-ice-age-by-2019-as-sun-goes-blank/
Sore Feet
Random Quippy Bit

Sore Feet

Random Quippy Bit
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:36 pm 
Think I'd lean toward the Lynch just because it seems like it has the edge in terms of mass and the accumulation zones for the glaciers on Stuart aren't very big.

--------------
Bryan Swan
Pictures - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanswan
Waterfalls - www.waterfallsnorthwest.com
Brian R

Brian R

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm 
Great post!

Hinman Glacier is apparently gone now. And Chimney Glacier is retreating up its icefall.  I just looked at the Icecliff and Sherpa on GoogleEarth and they look pretty famished as of last summer--like they might go Slesse on some warm summer day. Stuart Glacier looks too convex to survive. Colchuck has been on life support for a couple decades, it seems. Overcoat gets a lot of sun despite its aspect. Finally, Lynch Glacier is still the largest--but the recession plot looks more geometric than all the rest. Sad sad sad.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > last glacier standing
  Happy Birthday hambone, jyojt, Barefoot Jake!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: