Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments in July
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 am 
You forgot about the Yeti that sits a top Aasgard waiting to eat people as they top the pass! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JPH

JPH
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 am 
Snowpack was way better in the spring of 2017. My estimate is that we are a month to a month and a half ahead of 2017. I skied Granite to the base of the avy path in late April that year. This year it's been out for a couple weeks already. Obviously that could all change with a couple cool, wet weeks. (fingers crossed...)

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm 
willnich wrote:
Thanks again for all of the info. I love my hammock but may have to settle for a tent if I can't find enough reasonable spots to camp. When I had a Colchuck pass someone suggested hammock camping part way up Aasgard in the trees shown. (thanks whomever I stole the photo from) Is this reasonable? Then we would be closer to the core to start day 2. Thanks again everyone.
Maybe you've already moved on from this idea. I would say a major drawback from using this site is distance from a water source. I don't think even the creek that drains down that slope would be particularly accessible from there.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 4:04 pm 
I think water would be fairly accessible. Here's an image that shows the area better. Be aware of dangerous waterfall holes. The concern I might have is whether the area is within the Colchuck zone. The permit area map shows the border at ~6400' which is right on the edge of the outcropping.

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 pm 
The OP mentioned they were awarded a permit for the Core Zone. The "golden" permit, Core zone, still allows the holder to camp in any of the 5 permit zones. So although you are expected to be in the Core zone since it is so desirable, they could camp in the Colchuck zone instead. If it were me, I'd push on to the Core zone and set up camp there. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5405903 "Reminder: A Core Enchantment Zone Permit allows you to camp in ANY of the 5 permit zones"

bradmbaldwin

bradmbaldwin
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm 
Following along, I have a core permit for July 11.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
I'd push on to the Core zone and set up camp there.
Always push on to the Zone!!!! The Zone demands respect!!!

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:25 pm 
I would push on to the core zone but one of our group members is my father who is in his 60s. He hikes 2-3 times a week and is pretty experienced but still worries me a bit. He has already started training for this hike with increasing elevation hikes twice a week... but still... JPH, sounds like the snow is melting pretty quickly. I am sorry for the skiers but I hope it continues for our sake. How do you keep updated on the conditions? I would love to be able to follow this and be prepared.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 pm 
My first time through, I saw a woman and her father using a cane make it through in one day. They took a lot of breaks.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 06, 2019 7:10 am 
Best time I ever did was 55 minute up and 30 minutes down. I was only carrying 17 lbs for three days. LOL. You gain elevation REALLY fast on the way up.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln