Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
Previous :: Next Topic  
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostSat Mar 16, 2019 9:27 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Just finished Alastair Reynolds' "Shadow Captain", the sequel to the unique "Revenger", and the second book in this fantastic trilogy. Reynolds has created a civilization in the far future where humanity lives on small created 'Worlds' that orbit the 'old Sun' and are close enough to each other that space travel is primarily done with light-sail pushed ships. He's extended the theme to make the books feel like those about old time sailing ships, complete with piracy on the high seas (aka space). I can't wait for the third one!

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
First book is called "Leviathan Wakes" by James S. A. Corey.

On your recommendation, I've just started this one. I don't read too many non hard-SF books, so am hoping this one will be good...

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 am 
GaliWalker wrote:
On your recommendation, I've just started this one. I don't read too many non hard-SF books, so am hoping this one will be good...

I don't know if it would be considered hard SF, but it does pay attention to 0 g and the effects on humans of rapid acceleration and deceleration.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Hesman

Hesman

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am 
Listening to the audio version of Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell. Hopefully I am not not committing too many thought crimes by listening to it.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 pm 
David Blight's fascinating biography of Frederick Douglass, released last year.  Highly recommended!

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
andypandy

andypandy

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 8:55 pm 
I'd seen several glowing reviews of Tomi Adeyemi's "Children of Blood and Bone" so I'm giving it a try.  Okay but nothing great.  I really don't get critics (books, movies, whatever), they just react to things so differently than I do most of the time.  It's fantasy, where magic has been purged from the land by an oppressive ruler, but maybe it can be brought back again.  I'm not even sure if this is YA or not.

So while I'm about halfway thru that and muddling along, I had to finish off Robert Jackson Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy.  Got the third one, City of Miracles, and getting into it right away.

I could not get into the blood and bone book. Dialogue had a very modern flare to it despite the setting. I put down the book right after they revealed the plot and time constraints. For an author who teaches writing I didnít expect such a heavy handed approach.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:

What did you think?  I just picked up the second book in the series, Caliban's War.  Another 500+ pages, so it will take me a while.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 pm 
'Just finished Andrew McCabe's The Threat, St. Martin's Press, 2019.  Very well-written and a bit of a page-turner.  McCabe was the recent acting Director of the F.B.I. following James Comey.  I learned a lot about how the F.B.I. works and how they interact with the Department of Justice, the White House and the Congress.  Available from the Seattle Public Library.  There's a great review (written and audio) on N.P.R. ~z
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:49 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:

What did you think?  I just picked up the second book in the series, Caliban's War.  Another 500+ pages, so it will take me a while.

I like 'em. I'm on Abaddon's Gate, the third one in the series.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I like 'em. I'm on Abaddon's Gate, the third one in the series.

You went flying right past me!  Glad you're enjoying it.  I'm getting a bit stuck on book 2.  So many main characters, keeps jumping from one story line to another and from one point of view to a different one.  That format is very different on TV vs. a book.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 4:53 pm 
I'm finishing up Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

Dang near too much hard sci fi even for me, with much detail into orbital dynamics...however, when the Hard Rain begins and the 1200 survivors of humanity scrambled into orbit in the 29 months they have to work with, begin the final struggle for survival, the pace picks up.

The second half of the book is where, for me, the story reaches escape velocity and gets pretty darned interesting.

Last book was...
The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580

I had no idea the scale of the plunder going on between England and Spain at the time...Drake's haul, stolen from the Spanish in a series of clever raids in the Caribbean was something like 25% of the entirety of the English budget of the time...from a single voyage. They had to hide off the coast of England near a minor port to give the Queen plausible deniability to the Spanish envoys and spies, then offload the treasure secretly..

Then, after stirring up the hornets there, he finally gets backing to round the Horn and hit them from the Pacific. However, this time it's not as easy...mutiny, some mistakes leading to alerts up and down the previously unguarded pacific coast forts...all kinds of stuff going on..

but the most fascinating is the view into the machinations concerning the reports from the latter expedition, where Drake pushed as far north as the Queen Charlotte Islands in a search for the Northwest Passage, which they were still convinced existed. Maps from captured ships were prime intelligence, and the Crown sat upon his navigation and reports from this trip for decades so as not to aid competitors. There are photos of globes and maps which were altered to misrepresent the latitudes he reached, in effect moving everything southwards to misdirect attention to his explorations. Good book

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Hesman

Hesman

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm 
zephyr wrote:
'Just finished Andrew McCabe's The Threat, St. Martin's Press, 2019.  Very well-written and a bit of a page-turner.  McCabe was the recent acting Director of the F.B.I. following James Comey.  I learned a lot about how the F.B.I. works and how they interact with the Department of Justice, the White House and the Congress.  Available from the Seattle Public Library.  There's a great review (written and audio) on N.P.R. ~z

I listened to the audiobook version and found it hard to stop listening when I had to do something when I couldnít listen to it. It was an interesting book to listen to.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Hesman

Hesman

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm 
Currently listening to Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. It is a very well written account about the rise and spectacular fall of the company Theranos. Highly recommended.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
  Happy Birthday hambone, jyojt, Barefoot Jake!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: