Forum Index > Links > Walking Nature World
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 pm 
All looks pretty tasty. In the US everyone is obsessed with weight, but it is relatively easy to find dried products, or dry them yourself. I make a similar grain dish but use dried veggies and cashews instead of fresh veggies and cheese. I like your technique of dry-roasting grains before adding water. But please consider substituting cabbage for iceberg lettuce! Usually I don't get nearly as fancy - throw a bunch of nuts, bread, dried fruit, and cheese in a bag; then weight it and aim for about 800g per day!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 3:34 am 
neek wrote:
All looks pretty tasty. In the US everyone is obsessed with weight, but it is relatively easy to find dried products, or dry them yourself. I make a similar grain dish but use dried veggies and cashews instead of fresh veggies and cheese. I like your technique of dry-roasting grains before adding water. But please consider substituting cabbage for iceberg lettuce! Usually I don't get nearly as fancy - throw a bunch of nuts, bread, dried fruit, and cheese in a bag; then weight it and aim for about 800g per day!
Thank you. It is our priority as well to go as light as possibe. So we are always happy to find good quality dried products or even learn how to do it ourselves would be great. Whenever we have access to buy any fresh fruit or veggies we go for them. However we realize that it won't be available to us every hike that we do. Cashews are a great idea, have to try them too. We actually used iceberg lettuce, it wasn't a cabbage, probably wasn't obviuos in the video itself.

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
neek

neek
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 am 
I mean the reverse. Cabbage is much more nutrient dense and durable. I take it everywhere. My personal goal of the past 20 years is to rid the world of iceberg lettuce. Unfortunately I haven't made much progress yet.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 am 
neek wrote:
I mean the reverse. Cabbage is much more nutrient dense and durable. I take it everywhere. My personal goal of the past 20 years is to rid the world of iceberg lettuce. Unfortunately I haven't made much progress yet.
Oh, that's a new information for us. We don't know much about that. Can you suggest any resources to learn about it?

We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:08 am 
Cabbage is indeed a solid choice for hiking. It stays fresh a long time, can take heat, and doesn't turn into a mush pile like lettuce does. It fills you up as well!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSat Apr 06, 2019 6:21 am 
Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around. On the Day 10 of our Camino de Santiago del Norte we hiked from the coastal village Oriñon in Cantabria to the town Laredo. That day we left the camping quite late at around 11 am cause we slept in (you know it happens sometimes when the alarm rings and you don't want to get up). The camping itself was ok but it could be much better for the price when we payed 20 + euros for the standard pitch with a car and a tent which we feel is very unfair to the backpackers like us. And it wasn't the first camping doing that. As well as paying extra for electricity just for charging our phones and cameras. So we left it and started walking uphill from Oriñon to Sonabia. We were told by locals that there is an alternative way to the city of Laredo where we were heading to today taking the mountains path instead of going on the national highway. It seemed like a great idea to us so we planned to do that. Especially for us who always would take and alternative closer to the coast and escape the noisy car roads. It was a 13 km hike. So we started walking and the first thing we saw was the falling tide and it was a stunning scenery. When we yesterday came to Oriñon it was a completely different picture and a different beach. Then the indicator directed us left, we walked a bit along the gardens and then started ascending the mountain. Already seeing that probably there won't be any shadow all the way up. And the day promised to be very hot and clear, without any clouds. But we were fresh and ready for the challenge. Right away when we hiked a bit higher we started to see the splendid views of the ocean and rocky cliffs. And we must say the mountain that we were climbing was a very beautiful one itself. First we climbed in the sand then the ground was turning harder and rockier and the path was becoming steeper and steeper. And in some places it was even dangerously steep and very narrow so we had to watch every step. The ocean was magnetically attractive and we felt like we could sit and stare for hours on end at it. But the way was calling and we continued on. At some point the path became so steep that we had to use our hands to be able to hike up so it looked more like rock climbing than hiking. But our experience in the mountains and hiking several summits helped a lot so it wasn´t bad for us at all. But we got it why the Camino doesn't go this way and why we didn't meet any pilgrim on this path. It just simply not for everyone. For someone with the bad knees or any leg problems or with a heavy backpack for example it would be hard to impossible to do. You have to be quite an experienced and confident hiker to be able to do that. Also if you have a limit of time, you need to do more kms and you're not starting in Oriñon like us it may not also be for you. But for us it was worth it and we're happy we did it. In the future we plan to do the same, we don't enjoy walking on the car roads at all. We took lots if great pictures there and even had time to sit at the edge of a cliff and enjoy the view. The downhill wasn't as extreme as an uphill so we didn't even noticed how we were down. And so after probably 8 km we saw the Camino indicator so we understood that we were back on the Camino again. And we met the first pilgrims that probably just turned from the highway to this dirt road. It was the last 3 kms to Laredo, and it seemed to us very easy if it wasn't for the heat and lack of shadow. The city of Laredo seemed like an island from above and looked very intriguing and we were assuming that we'll have to cross the channel in a ferry tomorrow. So quite quickly we got to the city and found a church where we got our next stamp, it was the second time we were able to do it in the church in 10 days after the very first day of Camino. The route was a mesmerising beauty that day and we wished that every day from now on would be like this one. We will remember this day for a long time and we're happy that we were able to film it. Watch the full video here:

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 6:40 am 
I love Phad Thai on the trail. I use the premixed spice envelope with additional oil, soy sauce, rice noodles and a protein of choice such as peanuts, cashews, tofu, chicken, or tuna. I also am a fan of cabbage on the trail. Onions dried or green fresh make a good garnish. One variation is to use cabbage in place of noodles. My standard emergency meal is instant mashed potatoes with whatever I have left smooshed in. (much like your first entree) Thanks for sharing!

illegitimi non carborundum!
walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostSun Apr 07, 2019 9:08 am 
the1mitch wrote:
I love Phad Thai on the trail. I use the premixed spice envelope with additional oil, soy sauce, rice noodles and a protein of choice such as peanuts, cashews, tofu, chicken, or tuna. I also am a fan of cabbage on the trail. Onions dried or green fresh make a good garnish. One variation is to use cabbage in place of noodles. My standard emergency meal is instant mashed potatoes with whatever I have left smooshed in. (much like your first entree) Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for your comment. Haven't heard about Phad Thai before but it looks like a great mix of different products. Cabbage will be our discovery this year on the trail, we are excited to try it out. Yes, mashed potatoes are great for having a quick meal.

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World

walkingnatureworld
Walking Nature World
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 4:48 am 
In today's video we want to share with you our detailed night routine while camping and hiking. After being hiking for a year and a half we finally seem to have established our own routine that we tend to stick to every day and you are about to see everything that we normally do in the order of appearance. And it was actually filmed while being on our Camino de Santiago so it is very true to reality. Let's get into it! Watch the full video here:
We are really interested to know what is your night hiking routine like and what you do differently. Let us know about it in the comments.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 am 
confused.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm 
Your routine, typical of European hikers, is so completely different from our far more primitive wilderness backpacking typical here in the western US that there's very little comparison.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pm 
NOYFB

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 6:42 pm 
^^^^ What GrannyHiker said. Does anyone around here even dare to eat near or in their tent unless it's the dead of winter?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
mb

mb
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 8:02 pm 
This may be the first of this weirdly promoted video series i've watched. Other than food, it looks pretty normal for a frontcountry developed campground in the US. Well showers and power are rare but not unheard of. Heck level ground is sometimes hard to find! But food... stores are even more rare, in or between sites. And certainly in most of the west having food near where you sleep unwise. If not for the bears, for the raccoons or rodents.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 pm 
That ain't competin'