Forum Index > Food & Grub > cheese in June in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ainmsiul81

ainmsiul81
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 9:26 am 
Folks, I have read some of the posts here about hiking with hard cheeses in the summer. It sounds doable. But, there is no local “cheese” store, or even decent cheese section at the market, locally. So, I posted some questions of my own on amazon (sorry), for certain cheeses. The answers were all “No, you cannot use this cheese for hiking for 7 days”. The cheeses: igourmet Frantal Emmental - Pound Cut (15.5 ounce) igourmet Trugole (7.5 ounce) igourmet Grafton Classic 2 Year Aged Reserve Cheddar (7.5 ounce) igourmet Widmer's Six Year Reserve Cheddar (7.5 ounce) 5 Year Aged Cheddar Half Loaf Beemster Classic Aged Gouda - Pound Cut (1 pound) 18 Month igourmet Old Amsterdam - Pound Cut (15.5 ounce) Manchego Reserve (Extra Aged) - Pound Cut (1 pound) igourmet Flagship Reserve by Beecher's Handmade Cheese (7.5 ounce) igourmet Black Diamond Grand Reserve Cheddar - Pound Cut (15.5 ounce) This is for me and the kid (he is now 11, likes cheese, within reason), hiking in ONP this June for about 7 days. Now, I hope that – some – of these really will tolerate 7 days of June in ONP? What are your thoughts? Thanks. Best, Mac

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 pm 
ainmsiul81 wrote:
But, there is no local “cheese” store, or even decent cheese section at the market, locally.
Try: Metropolitan Market in View Ridge PCC at Greenlake, Fremont or Edmonds Whole Foods either Roosevelt or Interbay Regular Safeway/Fred type markets will not have "the good stuff". I like the Metropolitan the best, that is where I get most of my meat, I buy my hiking salami there. They usually have a small bin with hiking size pieces of cheese in the cheese section. I like my European power bars (bread, cheese and sausage) way more than the cardboard tooth extraction materials sold as "power bars". Bagels are my bread source. I have gone a week with cheese and salami and it was still good to the end - in June you will probably find some pretty substantial snow to help keep food cooler. I like kippers and sardines as well for protein, but they end up creating a mess.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
ainmsiul81

ainmsiul81
PostTue Apr 02, 2019 1:25 pm 
coldrain108, Thanks. I live near Portland, so I am not near those shops (wherever they are). That is why I was resorting to amazon. Mac

hbb

hbb
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 3:53 pm 
I find that manchego holds up really well, I've carted that along on 4-5 day summer trips. It may get a little oily, but otherwise it's good. I don't think I'd consider cheddar a "hard" cheese, but that Beecher's Flagship Reserve holds up pretty well too, although I've only had it on 2-3 night trips. As the other poster noted, you should have a good chance of finding some snow to keep things cool, at least if you are in the alpine. Streams and lakes will be pretty cold too.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 pm 
It's mostly about moisture content -- so look for hard, dry cheeses. I have taken parmesan (which is better than you might think if you've mostly just had it on spagetti) and it held up fine for over a week. Also, smoked cheese seems to hold up well, as do cheeses encased in wax like Edam and Gouda.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:36 pm 
Packit gourmet dried Parmesan is even better but expensive.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
ainmsiul81

ainmsiul81
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 4:46 am 
Thanks for the all responses. I think I will try Dubliner for starters this summer, and also manchego.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:07 am 
Tips: Cheese, no matter what type, will get soft and oily, when not chilled. That is the nature of it. Doesn't mean you cannot eat it. How you handle it it is everything. When you buy it, take the time to prep it. Use a sterilized knife and cut into blocks, then dip into melted wax (beeswax or parafin will work). This keeps the cheese fresher - and your grubby hands off of it. It also keeps the oil tamped in. Carry cheese in the center of your pack, preferably in something insulated, such as UL lunch bag, or a cozy lined with Insul Bright material. People are afraid to carry certain foods, everything says to keep chilled now. But you will be OK. Just buy cheese that is as old school as you can, with few ingredients.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 am 
Cheese was invented because there was no refrigeration. Cheese sealed in wax will not go bad in just one week. Try it at home first, indoor room temperatures will be similar to the Olympics in June.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 3:38 pm 
I have a buddy who swears by those wax sealed Babybel cheeses. His cheese sandwiches in camp are legendary. smile.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 7:45 pm 
Thank you Sarbar for the cheese in wax idea! I've used cheese for 3-4 days in the summer and while soft and oily, it's been just fine. Coating sections with wax seems great!

When I grow up I wanna play.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 7:51 pm 
And if you can have a fire, the wax is dual use ;-)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 7:53 pm 
Just as with "Best if used by dates" are set to encourage people to toss perfectly good food and buy new -- I think the advice that "cheese requires refrigeration" is mostly nonsense. Refrigeration certainly does improve shelf life -- but you are planning for a week not months right? The less moisture content a cheese naturally has -- the longer it will last. So the harder the cheese is the better. Stuff like brie won't last long, but Parmigiano Reggiano much longer. Of course if maximum keeping power is the only goal -- individually wrapped Kraft slices are about as mold resistant as it comes. A cut above that are "Tillimoos" individually wrapped snack slices of medium Tillimook cheddar -- I recently used these on a week long trip with good results. If you buy a bulk of cheese, I would recommend cutting up the cheese into daily rations and wrapping/ziplocking those at home. Wash your hands, cutting board and tools and wear food prep gloves before opening the factory cheese wrapper. Be as clean as you can while cutting and wrapping the portions of cheese. This will reduce the chance you end up with moldy thumbprint on the edge of the cheese. FWIW: I've seen a good variety of hard cheeses at CostCo -- Manchego, Parmigiano Reggiano, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
My favorite is American condiments that say to keep cold. The same things that are imported from Asia never carry this. No one chills soy sauce. No one. But Americans do. Ketchup? It sits on tables in restaurants, randomly refilled and rarely washed out. But we chill it at home. I have found that Kraft Parmesan in the shaker can gets funky chilled due to moisture accumulation, which I blame on how much cellulose they put in it now (cheap filler, it absorbs moisture naturally). As a kid it was never chilled!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 pm 
You can get some good cheese at Costco like Pecorino Romano, Reggiano Parmesan, Manchego, Dubliner, Tillamook Aged White, Coastal Cheddar, etc., all at bargain prices. Central Market in Poulsbo has a fantastic selection of cheese from all over but at premium prices. As for carrying it, I cut it into ounce slices and separate it with either parchment or wax paper. Place that in a ziplock. Carry your food in the interior of the pack and it will be just fine. June in the Olympics is rarely hot, so you should be just fine. Keep it in the refrigerator until just before you leave, then pack it. Better yet, put it in a cold pack and don't put it with the rest of the food until you reach the trailhead. Don't forget Whisps, which stay nice no matter the temp and still has the nutrition. Additionally you can take some salami that lasts a good while even after opening. Two eight ounce packs should do you and your son fine. Don't open the second until the first one is finished. And it goes well with cheese. Rumi <~~~~~big cheese

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."