Forum Index > Partners > Alpine dads wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kevin98208

kevin98208
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:43 am 
I am a 45-year-old father with a full-time job but try get out into the mountains once every couple of months. Every time I do so, I have to search the internet for a partner. Most of the time I end up with a partner who is single, no kids, young, extremely fit and has a much higher risk-tolerance than me. Then I never see the person again as I may not be free to climb for several more months while they are ready to conquer a new climb the next day. I am looking to put together an informal group of Alpine Dads; fairly fit alpine climbers who understand balancing work life, families and climbing. If you are in the same boat I am, always looking for a partner for the one day a month you have free to get out, then shoot me a PM. The idea is to have a group of alpine dads where we can reach out to each other to see who is available for the day you have free to climb, and climb together for years to come instead of just a single outing. As the kids grow (mine are 6 and 8), get them more and more involved and start taking them up bigger peaks. Couple of things I would like to do this year: Ski ascent/descent of Whitehorse mountain in the next month, a 2-day light and fast ascent of Glacier Peak in August, and hopefully more if I can convince my wife the need to get away. Other weekend outings will be comprised of backpacking trip with the family, and family cragging days at Index or Exit 32/28. Look forward to hearing from you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 am 
I wish I'd thought to post, what you posted 20 yrs ago. My daughter loved to go out and hike/wildcamp/climb. But there was no one in here age group that did that. So big daddy award to you. I hope it works out. Live everyday like you will die to-marrow.For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
jdk610

jdk610
PostSun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 pm 
Dads only? What about Alpine Moms?

kevin98208

kevin98208
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am 
jdk610 wrote:
Dads only? What about Alpine Moms?
I think my wife would be a little upset if I start going off into the mountains for days with another woman, especially if bivy-spooning is required. And heaven-forbid if our underwear gets mixed up and ends up in the wrong packs. Not sure if I could explain myself out of that predicament. However, my wife is always looking for female partners, so if your family is an outdoorsy climbing family...give me a shout.

jdk610

jdk610
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 am 
Awesome! Would love to connect with your wife, especially if Glacier Peak is on her list too. My husband and I have an 8-yr old daughter, so maybe family outings could also work. Sending you a PM.

neek

neek
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 7:20 am 
We've got an 8 year old as well who I'm hoping to drag out to the mountains as much as possible this summer, preferably with some companions! But until school's out I'm limited mostly to weekday hiking, which makes it hard to find a partner.

Osguthoj

Osguthoj
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am 
PM sent

Mewtch
Regular

Mewtch
Regular
PostWed May 15, 2019 2:48 pm 
I'm 45 with a 3 year old daughter and took the Basic Climbing Class with the Mountaineers a couple years ago. I've scrambled much of the I-90 corridor, Mountain Loop, and done misc. climbs with the Mountaineers. Silver Star, Snowfield Peak, Clark (2 days...ugh), Daniel, a few others that don't come to mind at the moment. I did Glacier Peak at the end of last September solo in a three day. I was the lone occupant on the mountain all three days.I got back to the Glacier Gap after summiting around 2:30pm or so and was content to sit and enjoy the view another day. The weather was stunning. Hiking out before sundown was doable, but I didn't feel like aching that much. Stay busy in winter doing snowshoe summits. I'm dying to try Whitehorse. Saw the report on the WTA a couple days ago. I don't ski however. If there is good weather for a summit attempt I have no problem calling in a sick day.

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostMon May 27, 2019 2:54 pm 
Sounds like a similar refrain. I used to get out a ton but lately the family life has taken over. I would love to get back out if any of you need a partner. I actually have June 1, 2, 3 available if anyone is interested.

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostMon May 27, 2019 3:06 pm 
Im finishing the Bulgers list and have some specifics to climb. Reynolds, Jack and Hoodoo are next up for me. I would also love to put together a climb of the Tooth or Sahale with my two daughters (9 and 11) but would need another experienced climber to keep it safe. Willing to return the favor or just combine forces for two summits on the same trip if we had the time.

Shannon

Shannon
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 pm 
Hey, I'd be up for that. I'm 49 with a 9 yo and 6 yo. I climbed a lot when I was younger, but haven't done anything for a while. Headed out to Black Peak this weekend to start getting my legs back under me. I should be able to get out on a regular basis this summer. If anyone's interested let me know. Shannon