Forum Index > Trip Reports > Selkirk crest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dirt_junky208

Dirt_junky208
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 5:25 pm 
Hi everyone, this is my first post and its kind of a photo dump. Last July I hiked from the Mickinick trail head just outside of Sandpoint to the Parker creek trail head north of Bonners ferry along the selkirk crest. It was around 100 miles, 70 of which were off trail. 16 peaks along the way, @29,000' The route is basically just ridge/peak/ridge/peak all the way up. After leaving the valley floor the route never dips below 5600 until the end. I did this in 9 days of hiking over a two week period. I came out at the Harrison lake trail head which is just past the halfway point then went back in a few days later to finish. Lots of the info on peaks I got from hike north Idaho The established trail sections include 3.5 miles at Mickinick, 2 miles or so around Schweitzer, couple miles around Harrison lake and the last 21 or so miles from Ball lakes out to Parker creek trail head. The rest is game trails, rocky ridges and bushwacking. Thanks for letting me share! Started early in the morning at the Mickinick trail head and hiked the 16 miles over Mt Baldy to Schweitzer in time to catch the chair lift down and sleep in my own bed.
Then caught the chair back up the next day with my daughters and hiked to keokee peak and the caribou hut.
Took off alone the next day for Casey and the Sundance burn zone finishing just north of Jeru.
My wife joined me the next day as we climbed over Hunt peak and Gunsight peak and camped in the saddle south of Mt Roothaan.
Small side trip up Mt Roothaan then over to silver dollar, made camp at a small Tairn on the north side.
Next day up and over the south and north twin then out the Harrison lake trail head.
Back in the Harrison lake trail head with the family to the top of Harrison peak then north solo to the two mouth lakes basin and towards Myrtle peak. Camped on a massive granite slab just south if Myrtle peak.
Up and over Myrtle then along the elk highway to Ball peak and Pyramid lakes. Camped at Long lake.
Last day with a side trip up Parker peak then out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 5:45 pm 
That looks like a really cool trip, thanks for sharing. Don't see a whole of TRs for the Selkirks on this site. Mmm, that looks intriguing. I really like your big granite slab.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm 
Excellent. up.gif I'm planning to spend some time up that way in summer. Welcome to the site and thanks for the link to that blog. Your trip looks awesome!