Forum Index > Gear Talk > Waterproof GTX Hiking Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm 
I need some Gortex boots that do not leak. Yes, it is possible to have Gortex boots that do not leak and keep your feet warm and dry all day, so let's just not go down that rabbit hole. They quit making my favorite model that always kept my feet warm and dry: https://www.rei.com/product/848241/la-sportiva-omega-gtx-hiking-boots-mens So replaced them with the 4.1 model of the same brand and I've tried two different pairs of them now. The first pair only the right boot leaked, my left foot stayed warm and dry all day, so I exchange them and sadly both boots in the replacement pair leak. They have only been worn 4- 5 times. I won't try exchanging these for the same model again as leaking seems to be a feature of that model and not a defect. It is not sweat, they leak. I need to know of a model that will keep my feet dry all day when I hike in the Olympics. I know that is it possible, I've had gortex boots that do that for me before.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pcg

pcg
PostSun Apr 14, 2019 7:52 am 
I've been using Lowa Renegade GTX for many years and am satisfied with them. They're very comfortable for my feet, but I can only get one year's worth of "waterproof" out of them, and that is only after I seam seal the seams when they're brand new. The seams are the weak part. The threads wear, the seam opens slightly, then dirt gets in and causes damage to the Gortex. Before I started doing this they would only be waterproof for a few months of wear. I also gently rinse off all dirt with a scrub brush after every outing and periodically treat with Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof. I suspect this treatment would extend the waterproofness of any boot. Despite all this, after a year they will no longer keep my feet dry. I buy a new pair every year. The new pair gets used on wet hikes and the no-longer-waterproof pair gets used for another year on dry hikes, by which time the soles are worn out.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Apr 14, 2019 3:38 pm 
Yes that is about how I handle my waterproof boots too.. they are good for about a year. In the summer I put them away and hike in sneakers. Then when they are no longer waterproof I use them for yard work. I just bought the La Sportiva "Nucleo" high GTX boots, maybe they will do better. They were much more expensive. It's okay though, I'm treating myself.

iron

iron
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
Yes, it is possible to have Gortex boots that do not leak and keep your feet warm and dry all day
based on what you wrote, it appears there isn't.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:52 pm 
iron wrote:
ranger rock wrote:
Yes, it is possible to have Gortex boots that do not leak and keep your feet warm and dry all day
based on what you wrote, it appears there isn't.
ranger rock wrote:
...so let's just not go down that rabbit hole.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 pm 
After my very comfortable Lowa Renegades became non-waterproof in less than a year (pcg's description matches my experience exactly), I decided I wanted as few seams as possible in my next pair of boots. I was also looking for something that would hold up to a bit more abuse. I really wanted to like the Zamberlan Vioz GTX boots, but they're too narrow for my feet and I ended up with Asolo TPS 520 GV Evo boots. There were some trade-offs. They are heavy (over 4lb), expensive, and I'm experimenting with wool sock liners trying to avoid heel blisters (so far, so good on that count, but not enough data on longer distance hikes to be sure yet). However, while it's only been a little over a year, they've done a great job keeping my feet dry. At some point soon, I should probably apply some sort of waterproofing because I've scuffed them enough that they're halfway to becoming light brown boots instead of dark. I also have a pair of trail shoes for when the weather is nicer or when it's less important to keep my feet dry. (I figure that wet feet while snowshoeing is a safety issue.)

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 pm 
A pair of Rocky Socks can be used with any footwear, mine have lasted for years with light use. Much cheaper and more flexible than buying a new pair of boots every year, and meet your criteria of keeping your feet warm and dry (to the same extent as a lined boot at least).

I desire medium danger williswall.com
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 6:48 pm 
williswall wrote:
A pair of Rocky Socks can be used with any footwear
Exactly. There are actually many different brands of water-resistant socks available now. Combined with a pair of all leather boots that have been treated appropriately, a person can remain dry and warm on the longest wettest day-hike or over-nighter. One caveat is that generally these socks are thicker than normal socks so you need to get the socks then the boots. For a day hike I use them with trail runners and hardly ever get wet or cold feet. Rumi PS: Here are five water-resistant socks with short reviews. Or just Google waterproof socks and check out lots of options.

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Cacher

Cacher
PostWed May 15, 2019 1:05 pm 
pcg wrote:
I've been using Lowa Renegade GTX for many years and am satisfied with them. They're very comfortable for my feet, but I can only get one year's worth of "waterproof" out of them, and that is only after I seam seal the seams when they're brand new. The seams are the weak part. The threads wear, the seam opens slightly, then dirt gets in and causes damage to the Gortex. Before I started doing this they would only be waterproof for a few months of wear. I also gently rinse off all dirt with a scrub brush after every outing and periodically treat with Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof. I suspect this treatment would extend the waterproofness of any boot. Despite all this, after a year they will no longer keep my feet dry. I buy a new pair every year. The new pair gets used on wet hikes and the no-longer-waterproof pair gets used for another year on dry hikes, by which time the soles are worn out.
Ive been wearing these for years. Everytime I buy them I coat them twice with mink oil very well. Theyll last alot longer than a year.

Help! I cant see the forest, for the Fees.
Frango

Frango
PostThu May 16, 2019 7:36 am 
Zamberlan makes a great boot. I’m on season 3 with mine - I throw a coat of obenaufs on a few times a year and I’m good to go. https://www.rei.com/product/128769/zamberlan-vioz-gtx-hiking-boots-womens

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 3:16 pm 
Frango wrote:
Zamberlan makes a great boot. I’m on season 3 with mine - I throw a coat of obenaufs on a few times a year and I’m good to go. https://www.rei.com/product/128769/zamberlan-vioz-gtx-hiking-boots-womens
Was lurking on this for a while, but made the plunge and bought Zamberlans. Pricy ($310) at REI, but all the reviews are pretty good. I did have to move up to a Size 12 Wide to get a comfortable fit and hoping they'll be snug enough to avoid blisters! Merry Christmas to Me!

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Dec 30, 2020 3:44 pm 
I have probably just been lucky but bought a pair of Keen Alamosa about 7 years ago with a waterproof lining and even after the leather on these boots ripped at the sole they remain waterproof. I have also had good luck with the Hanwag GTX boots staying waterproof.

Downhill

Downhill
PostSat Jan 02, 2021 8:43 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
I need some Gortex boots that do not leak. Yes, it is possible to have Gortex boots that do not leak and keep your feet warm and dry all day, so let's just not go down that rabbit hole.
I live in that rabbit hole. In my experience, Gore-Tex boots won't keep your feet dry and they will only make your feet wetter from sweating. Good luck!

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostMon Jan 04, 2021 9:33 am 
I bought Salewa Crows. They are sort of a do-all boot. They are impressively light, Goretex lined, and can take crampons. I did a 45 mile hike in them without blisters over rough trail, and have climbed glaciers in them. They do not leak. They are a real boot, a full step above trail hikers, and three or four steps above trail runners. (These boots finally convinced me that heavy leather “mountaineering” boots are unnecessary. I donated my last pairs to Goodwill last week.) The sizing is narrower than eg, Asolo. I ordered a half size up. (It took some work to get 12.5.) I saw people on the same trail as my summer hike with trail runners, but I’m an old guy, and I don’t think my feet could have handled 40+ miles in trail runners. Crows are more than I need, but they feel good on my feet, are as lite as trail hikers, stay dry, and don’t cause blisters. I do miss the Goldilocks zone of traditional leather hiking boots, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore.