Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chelan Shoreline Trail Camping Spots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 pm 
Hello all - I'll be doing the shoreline trail next month with someone for whom this will be a fairly good challenge. I want to make sure I know where all the potential camping spots are. Reading the WTA description of the trail and looking at maps tells me the usual camping spots along the route (discounting both end points) are as follows: Cascade Creek Meadow Creek Moore Point Flick Creek -- not clear if there is camping here? Stehekin (a campground a little ways outside of town?) We're going to do it on a Friday - Sunday itinerary and shoot for 5-7 miles Friday and Saturday, leaving just 4-5 miles for Sunday morning if possible. So, is there camping around Flick Creek? Satellite imagery makes it look like that's private property but maybe there are a few camp spots in the vicinity? Are there any other camping spots along the route that aren't identified? Any suggestions or info on all places to pitch a tent and have a decent camp appreciated. Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 2:54 pm 
I haven't done this trail before. But looking at Chelan County assessor page, lot 51994 at Flick Creek outflow into the lake is Federal owned. As is 51992 three lots away to the North. Other lots are privately owned. https://pacs.co.chelan.wa.us/mapSearch/?cid=91

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm 
thanks yukon222. Of course, there's a lot more to it than who owns it. The terrain is kinda rough along there, so wondering if there are established camp spots in the area. Or, in other words, is it actually possible to set up a tent comfortably? wink.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 pm 
Cascade Creek is really nice. A few of the spots anyway. It's near an inholding with a couple houses, there was construction going on when I stayed there, I bet it's finished and even nicer now. There are some really nice dry camps along the way if you're into that. It's called the Lakeshore Trail but Lake View would have been a better name. You're as much as 1k feet above the lake a good deal of the way. It's only the last 1/4 or so of the trail that's actually near the water. Cascade Creek is down at lake level and that was refreshing on the first day. There are a few other campgrounds as you approach Stehekin. One in town, and when it fills up they let you canp in front of the NPS building. A few more on the far side of town. There's also a hotel and may be a cancellation, I really enjoyed a hot shower after my hike. Give yourself a day in Stehekin if at all possible. Go to The Garden. Rent kayaks. Rent bikes, take the shuttle to High Bridge, and ride back down into town. Stehekin is a great place to end a hike, it has some of the comforts, but it's not civilization. The trail is flat like a waffle, not flat like a pancake. We did it in two days and she wasn't in great shape. Three would have been better. Catch the ferry at Field (?) Point, and take the express back.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 am 
Check for washouts. The boat wasn't stopping at one of the landing spots due to a washout. I can't remember which one was mentioned.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am 
there is camping and a shelter at Flick Creek. It's a nice spot although windy. Have fun!

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 10:20 am 
Flick creek has one spot, permit needed from NCNP. I am hoping to do a trip to Stehekin this year, but I am going to launch a motorized canoe at 25 Mile state park.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am 
Agree with Cyclopath re stehekin. Its a very cool place. The purple point campground is fine but staying at the landing is great. Stehekin valley ranch makes supreme food and takes reservations near the landing and will bus you to/fro.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm 
Okay, so we've cleared up that there is definitely camping at Flick Creek (Slugman - I looked it up and no permit required) so what about anywhere else along the trail that I didn't name? What I'm wondering is if maybe there are "unofficial" camp spots along the route? Places where people camp that aren't in an official campground. You know, "boondock" or "commando" or "dispersed" or whatever your favorite word for them is. Treeswarper - thanks for the heads-up. The bridge over Prince Creek is washed out but the boat is landing on the up-lake side of the creek to give people access to the trail. Our itinerary is looking like Friday hike to Cascade Creek. Saturday to Flick Creek then Sunday to Stehekin with enough time to get lunch somewhere before the ferry back to Chelan. Thanks!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm 
There isn't "dispersed" camping in the sense of driving up the Teanaway road with everything you need in the trunk, so any flat spot is great. You can camp almost anywhere along the way, but the established camps were established because they're they're the best/easiest options. If you're ok with carrying water to a dry camp, there's a spot a mile or two beyond Crystal in the meadow. A party was camped there and it looked great. Opposite Holden there's a big, open meadow with flat space, but I can't remember how far to the nearest water. The trail is generally about 1k (?) higher than the lake.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 2:37 pm 
My wife and I commando camped somewhere along the trail at a nice site next to the water. It was so long ago I can’t remember exactly where but remember there were some places that fit that bill.

canadug

canadug
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm 
We did the hike last spring...... Make sure to check for TICKS a few times a day. We were picking the little bastards off every day we were on the trail. Had to dig a couple out as well. We had special tick removing tool which was very helpful. Enjoy

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 11:27 am 
Re the ticks--permethrin spray on your hiking clothing really helps. (If you're a cat owner, though, keep anything with permethrin well separated from cats, to whom the stuff is deadly.) Wear gaiters (spray them, too), long pants (sprayed), and keep your shirt (sprayed) tucked in. Do the spraying several days ahead of your trip, hang clothing in the garage, make sure it's well dried before handling. Of course, as with any pesticide, read the label before using. Permethrin is harmless to humans when dried. This is what the US military uses. Still check frequently, but the permethrin makes a significant difference!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm 
FYI two years ago Cascade Creek was an open sewer of human excrement and crowded. If I did this again I would pass it by and stay at Meadow Creek. It’s also a very steep trail down to and back up from Cascade. While you may find some nice tent sites along the way at non-official camps water will probably be an issue. Flick Creek is a very cool spot but very small. No guarantees that you’ll get a spot there.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:25 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
FYI two years ago Cascade Creek was an open sewer of human excrement and crowded. If I did this again I would pass it by and stay at Meadow Creek. It’s also a very steep trail down to and back up from Cascade. While you may find some nice tent sites along the way at non-official camps water will probably be an issue. Flick Creek is a very cool spot but very small. No guarantees that you’ll get a spot there.
Well that's distressing. Was hoping to get some fishing in on the lake, so camp spots on the lake would be nice at least one night. Not too worried about water. I'll be carrying 5L worth of Platypus bags, so can stock up at a creek crossing and carry into a dry camp if necessary. Thanks for the warnings about ticks. The dogs will get a Frontline treatment right before we go and I'll look into permethrin for our clothes.