Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kenyon Cove - W. Fork Lizard Wash, w/Loads of Sheep (12.08.18)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm 
Last Dec. I chose a loop hike in central ABDSP, incorporating Pk. 2,789' that sits between an unnamed wash out of Kenyon Cove (I'll just call it Kenyon Wash) & West Fork Lizard Wash. It was just 2 of us & we had a great time exploring new territory, & had the added bonus of seeing a bunch of bighorn sheep on the return route thru Lizard Wash. smile.gif up.gif We parked @ a pullout w/a call box on the south side of the 78, just west of the pullout that is the mouth of Kenyon Cove. This pullout appeared to have more ample space for parking, & just involved walking over a low ridge to get into Kenyon Cove proper.
Once in Kenyon Cove, we headed SE up the main wash.
Not far up the canyon we rounded a corner & encountered a dry fall, the only significant scramble of the entire loop, but it was easily surmountable. We continued up the wash as it winded its way in a generally SW direction, & eventually came to the point @ which a small drainage on the left would take us to a saddle below Pk. 2,789.
Leaving the main wash to head up to the saddle
Leaving the main wash to head up to the saddle
Once we reached the saddle we turned left/NE to go up the ridge toward the peak.
After an initial steep climb the incline eased & it was an ez walk the rest of the way to the summit. cool.gif
There was no register, however, I wasn't expecting one for an unnamed pk. wink.gif We took a break & then walked back down to the saddle. Upon reaching the saddle we dropped off the other side to pick up W. Fork Lizard Canyon. I noticed fresh sheep tracks & upon approaching the point where the wash makes a big swing to the north, we encountered a bunch of sheep on the hills on either side of the canyon. eek.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif
Upper W. Fork Lizard Canyon
Upper W. Fork Lizard Canyon
We continued on down the wash w/o any more sheep sightings. Just before west & east fork Lizard Cyn came together, we left the wash & aimed for a saddle to the NW, a passageway back over to Kenyon Cove where we could close the loop. up.gif
Then, dinner back in town @ one of our usual spots. tongue.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message