Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mud Pits & Mortero BM, 12.30.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 pm 
Mortero BM is located in the southern end of ABDSP in the Volcanic Hills, south of Red Hill. We parked near the start of Mortero Wash Rd., then hiked SW toward Lava Flow Wash.
Blooming ocotillo
Blooming ocotillo
Our plan was to take the main wash that splits off to the south of LFW, but just before that we turned left up a smaller wash to check out something light-colored I'd seen on the satellite images that I couldn't quite figure out. It turned out to be dried mud hills, some containing pits. paranoid.gif
Mud pit
Mud pit
Shadows by the mud pit
Shadows by the mud pit
I was hoping to drop into the wash from there but my companions weren't too thrilled w/that idea so we stayed atop the ridge until we reached a friendlier area to drop down.
We crossed the upper part of the wash, then climbed up from the north to approach Mortero BM. On the way up I slipped on some loose gravel & fell on my left side, unable to catch myself in time. It caught me by surprise but I had nothing worse than a slightly scraped hand & sore arm. The final climb to the summit had a fair amt of cholla. Thankfully I didn't fall there. eek.gif
Almost there
Almost there
BM
BM
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit pano
Summit register
Summit register
We dropped off the north ridge, skirted the west slopes of the next hill, then picked up a wash that would drop us gently down toward Lava Flow Wash.
We were back @ the car @ under 6.5 mi.
Rt.
Rt.
Stats
Stats
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 pm 
How big is that opening? And what's down inside it?

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm 
If I recall correctly, it was maybe about 6" across. We didn't walk down to it for fear of the depression caving in to who knows what below. paranoid.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 pm 
Interesting. I like the genesis of the hike -- seeing something unusual on satellite images. Done that many times!

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm 
Not sure about the age of the mud pits....I'm assuming they've been there for awhile but I don't know.