Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mid-June in Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Makintrax

Makintrax
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 1:07 pm 
Hi all, Been quite some time since I've been on here, but am planning a week-long trip to the PNW in mid-June. My backpacking buddies and I were hoping to go into Dosewallips, head to the Elwha and follow the N Fk. Quinnault out. I realize this is a bit early but it's the only time the three of us can coordinate this year. Thoughts about that route 3rd week of June in terms of snow/passes? Thanks for any input!

"Men stumble over pebbles, never over mountains."- Emile Cady
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm 
Hayden Pass could be melted out that early, or at least not be too snowy, but there is this:
Quote:
Hayden Pass Trail is not recommended from Dose Meadows to Hayes River Ranger Station due to damage from the Hayes Fire.
Not sure just how bad it is. Maybe somebody else has direct experience.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 4:53 pm 
drm wrote:
Hayden Pass could be melted out that early, or at least not be too snowy, but there is this:
Quote:
Hayden Pass Trail is not recommended from Dose Meadows to Hayes River Ranger Station due to damage from the Hayes Fire.
I did not hike this trail myself, but I met a group of a guys at Dose Meadows camp last July who told me they had just hiked up the Elwah to Hayes River, then over the hill to Dose Meadows. I assume they took Hayden Pass? They didn't mention anything in the way of poor trail conditions, though they did say it was a long descent.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 5:30 pm 
I’ve walked up most of the way from the Elwha side, and turned around in four feet a snow quite aways from Hayden Pass. A few days before that there was about 3’ snow at Low Divide. We did find a place in semi-dry ground to pitch a tent. We were at LD about 6/30 that year. Chased a bear off Hayden Pass trail at point it was about 3’ deep. No boot prints but as far as we went it was easy to find in wonderful weather. Saw five bears, all digging up food at Elwha Basin. If you like the guys in furry suits it’s worth a side trip. We gave them extra space. Poor things seemed really busy trying to recover from winter. Best. Pyrites

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
graywolf

graywolf
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
drm wrote:
Quote:
I did not hike this trail myself, but I met a group of a guys at Dose Meadows camp last July who told me they had just hiked up the Elwah to Hayes River, then over the hill to Dose Meadows. I assume they took Hayden Pass? They didn't mention anything in the way of poor trail conditions, though they did say it was a long descent.
We were up the Elwha to Hayes River in July 2017 and met members of a trail crew coming down from just below Hayden Pass. They were rebuilding the tread and clearing the trail of downed trees, so the damage from the Hayes Fire alluded to above is probably no longer there.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 7:49 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I’ve walked up most of the way from the Elwha side, and turned around in four feet a snow quite aways from Hayden Pass.
That's what's going to happen if you try this route in mid-June. You might be able to follow blazes to treeline but you will lose the trail in the subalpine. So unless you are prepared for travel over snow for miles and following someone's summer GPS track, you will not be able to make this work. My advice for mid-June in the Olys is to take your time hiking into Enchanted Valley, spend a couple days doing meditation and yoga, and then take your time hiking out. cool.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Makintrax

Makintrax
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 am 
Thanks everyone. I got a reply from a Ranger (same day I emailed!) and they mentioned similar, but nothing about fire damage. They suggested I call them for route planning, so I'll call later today. Looking forward to some wildflowers and fishing, and having never been into the Olympic Mountains (did the Coast in 2006) will be fairly happy with any time in there in any place methinks. Seems like the bear activity is decent in the Park?

"Men stumble over pebbles, never over mountains."- Emile Cady
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 am 
Last year in mid-June the south-aspect side of Hayden Pass was mostly snow free, but there was snow on the north side of the pass below Sentinel Peak down to roughly 4800'. Twenty years ago mid-June would be way too early, but with our new normal of low snow and warm springs that's not the case any more. The north side of Hayden Pass is pretty steep, so might be challenging (but probably doable depending on your comfort level with those conditions).

vibramhead

vibramhead
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm 
Here's a trip report from an August trip that you might find useful. It covers some of the route that you're considering.