Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for someplace special to scatter my mothers ashes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 7:26 am 
Hi All, My Mom passed away last spring, and the time has come to scatter her ashes. She grew up in Ephrata, and had fond memories of playing with her sisters, “on the Sagebrush Plateau.” I would like to find an area either on the plateau or in the general area. She also had fond memories of Crab Creek and the Gorge. I’m looking for someplace both quiet and beautiful. My siblings will be accompanying me, so it should be accessible by regular cars, and easily reached on foot. No long or difficult hikes. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance Victoria

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am 
The Beezely Hills. A road from Quincy goes to Monument Hill which has a view of much area. The top has antennas but there is a trail through the nature preserve that leaves from here to quiet areas in the sagebrush. A road goes up to an overlook on the Saddle Mtns from WA 24 near Othello. The grand view is from Wahatis Peak which is also crowned with antennas. The view from the overlook just east of there is just as good and has an impressive cliff overlooking Corfu above Crab Ck. Unfortunately, some people like to shoot at this site and throw their garbage over the cliff. Perhaps better on a weekday. The overlook of the Drumheller Channels in the Potholes area is also convenient. I believe that's on McManamon Road.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 am 
Sagebrush Flats? Take the county road that goes through Rimrock Meadows and on to Hwy 2. There are spots along there and even some springs if you turn to go down to Palisades. You probably should research the land ownership. It should be private and BLM in that area. I like the area after you turn to go to Palisades that is in the Three Devils section of road.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 4:33 pm 
Hey, thank you for the suggestions!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 pm 
My condolences on your loss. FWIW: The Palouse to Cascades trail follows Lower Crab Creek between Beverly and Royal City. https://palousetocascadestrail.org/info.html

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm 
I don't have any advice but want to share my condolences.

OwenT

OwenT
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 pm 
Just going to throw out some thoughts. Hwy 17 crosses crab creek between Ephrata and Moses Lake, somewhere a little bit away from the highway in either direction maybe. Towards the Gorge the is the Quincy lakes area which has some places near the lakes either above or down by the river more where you can see the river too probably. The coulee going up toward coulee city from Ephrata is nice with it's lakes and the cliffs. As other have said too, up Sagebrush flats road from Ephrata has nice rolling wheat fields and then you can drop down to rimrock meadows or upper moses coulee on the three devil's grade too.

mmmmmm
ummagumma

mmmmmm
ummagumma
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 am 
Your mom did well and raised a thoughtful and good person smile.gif

gb

gb
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 6:55 am 
Condolences on your loss. I don't know about the legality but I am sure it doesn't matter if you don't make a big deal of it. Certainly the ashes cause no harm. I agree with Rich P, the Beezley Hills area above Ephrata is a beautiful place with great views down onto the Columbia plateau and should be flush with wildflowers by early May if not before.

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 12:04 pm 
Thank you all for the kind words and great suggestions. It’s very much appreciated.