Forum Index > Trail Talk > Duckabush TH Vandals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:55 pm 
Uh, the benefit of trail cams (much less leaving a note that one is in use) doesn't make sense. What's to stop the vandal from taking the cam? Then you've lost whatever's in the vehicle plus the cam.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 7:35 pm 
Seems to me the appropriate method of using a hidden camera is to keep it completely stealth and you'll want multiple cameras, one to capture the image and plate number of every vehicle that enters and leaves the parking area and another to monitor your vehicle. This won't stop a theft, but providing the recordings to law enforcement might help them to build a case against the perps. A note would likely result in a search for the trail camera and additional vandalism. There are services for looking up a plate number and obtaining the registered owner's address. -- Leaving a "I know where you live thief" note under the wipers of their vehicle at their home might have an entertaining effect. The other fun thing to do with someone's name and address is to enroll them in every conceivable junk mail and telemarketing source.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 7:47 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
There are services for looking up a plate number and obtaining the registered owner's address
Really? I was under the impression that LP numbers were only accessible to law enforcement.

camut

camut
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm 
License plates are reflective, so most IR trail cams can not photograph them. However there are some cameras that can. You'll need to do some research of you want a trail cam that can photograph license plates.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:43 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
There are services for looking up a plate number and obtaining the registered owner's address
Really? I was under the impression that LP numbers were only accessible to law enforcement.
https://www.faxvin.com/license-plate-lookup You have to pay a fee for this one, but its possible to access the state database directly for free if you have a "legitimate reason". I directed my HOA president to register for this service after repeated complaints from another resident complaining that my tenant was parking in the guest parking. Using the lookup he found that all of his complaints were to cars registered to other owners and not my tenants.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 pm 
Dang, another blow to personal privacy in the USA. huh.gif There's all kinds of stuff in Canada that's only available on a "need to know" basis that's public info here (like who owns your property and what you paid for it).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Dang, another blow to personal privacy in the USA. huh.gif There's all kinds of stuff in Canada that's only available on a "need to know" basis that's public info here (like who owns your property and what you paid for it).
IDK, it looks like that at least in Ontario your can lookup the registered owner via a government website https://www.apps.rus.mto.gov.on.ca/jtips/plSearchSpecDate.do?method=view&lang=EN&certified=true In terms of a "legitimate reason" -- having a photo record of plate number of a vehicle used to vandalize or burglarize your vehicle seems reasonable. But I suspect in Canada doing this yourself is less necessary as the RCMP seems far more likely to take action on these sort of crimes than US country sheriffs seem to have time for.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Apr 21, 2019 1:03 pm 
Interesting details, Randy. I keep forgetting how different each province is, in many ways more different than American states. I based my comment on experiences in BC. I think your observation of the RCMP is spot on.

General ****

General ****
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 am 
Anne Elk, That's a good question. The benefit for me was that I never did have any cameras there, but anyone looking to do car break ins' wouldn't know that; (and) we weren't broken into. But I can imagine (if) any vandals showed up, and (did) read my note, that maybe they spent time looking for the cameras and finally said... (Let's get out of here, we can't find the cameras and I don't want to go to jail.) It's called, Conning- the- Con.

The General primarily backpacks solo.