Forum Index > Trip Reports > wolframite+apex+pope 9/27 - 9/29/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 pm 
wolframite+apex+pope 9/27 - 9/29/2018
the pope is not done very often. matt starting talking about bringing a rope for the pope. when i looked at the map, it just did not look like it would be technical. eric had been there a week or two before and did not bring a rope, so i asked him about the route. he seemed a little surprised that i would ask him about the route, but he gave us very detailed instructions and based on that, it was obvious no rope would be needed. once we walked the trail to below the pope, i easily saw why eric was surprised. the route to the top was absolutely obvious. i guessed that just proves how nice of a guy eric is.
after a terminally long drive to the trailhead, the weather was ok. since it was nice and cool, it was perfect for the mellow walk to the tungsten mine. my friends really dug the mine building and remains. after a while, we found a very nice established campsite next to water and away from the probably mouse infested mine buildings, a few minutes west of the mine buildings on the boundary trail. the next day the weather started out a bit gloomy, which again made the hiking pleasant. we dropped packs and with a little easy scrambling, we were soon atop wolframite mt and the high clouds allowed us views of distant peaks.
before we knew it, we were down and moving on to the next place we dropped packs and again some very easy pleasant scrambling led us to the summit of apex. what a nice flat scenic summit plateau it had. we returned to the packs walked a little bit, dropped packs yet again and followed with some more easy scrambling that led us to the ese shoulder of the pope aka pt 8264. from the shoulder we had awesome views of the border and what carla and pj called the "last american tarn" and the "last american lake" just to the north. we also could see the most crazy border monument ever. beckey wrote about it in the cag. i guess it took quite a bit of technical climbing to get it into place on the n shoulder of the pope. the summit was really nice too. by the time we reached cathedral pass, the weather had changed for the better and had become sunny. i gave a thought to heading up cathedral solo, but getting up and down three peaks earlier in the day, left too little time to do cathedral and get back down and to camp before dark. cathedral pass and cathedral lake - i wish i had an appropriate adjective, but none suffice. we found a very nice camp spot wsw of cathedral lake and had another nice dinner together. there was one other party, a couple camped at the lake. the couple had done a technical climb on amphitheater and were planning another technical climb on cathedral the next day(i sure hope the weather did not nail them). all three of my friends i was with had already done cathedral, so i left it off my plans. we originally planned to be there another two days, but the weather forecast did not favor that, and the forecast was correct. that next morning it was obvious the weather was moving in, so instead of doing amphitheater and other peaks and a more ambitious loop, we just headed out, to increasingly colder temps and threatening clouds. when we got back to the car, we barely beat the rain and boy did it rain.
matt and carla really wanted to visit suzanne and barry in wenatchee on the way home. so we got a motel room in tonasket, that all four of us shared. then in the morning had a leisurely breakfast, drove to wenatchee, watched seattle's pro brain scramblers on tv and enjoyed the famous bar-zan hospitality(even better than the legend) and then drove home satisfied(how could one not be happy when hiking with such great people?) after so many disparate, but fun, experiences :>)
6:11 car to tungsten mine 12.32mi 2783' gain 1:46 camp to wolframite summit 0:21 summit stay 2:17 wolframite summit to apex summit 0:19 summit stay 3:00 apex summit to pope 0:18 summit stay 1:26 pope to cathedral lake 9:27 day 2 total 12.61mi 4610' gain 10:15 cathedral lake to car 17.97mi 1584' gain equipment: overnight gear equipment brought, but not used:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm 
How was the trail up the 'wuch? I thought it was longer than what you listed.

b00

b00
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
How was the trail up the 'wuch? I thought it was longer than what you listed.
the mileage comes from a combo of my gps overlayed on nat geo topo and is accurate relative to my other t/r's. from what i remember, all the trails were nice, as there is nothing that stood out. :>)

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm 
Your group hit the pasayten at the perfect time! Thanks for finally posting and it makes me miss fall right now

Eric Eames
iron

iron
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 pm 
looking good wood. glad you were indoctrinated.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 9:40 pm 
I got 12.7 miles. That's starting from the Cathedral Driveway trailhead, not the Chewuch trailhead. That saves a few miles of hiking, but adds many extra miles of driving.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien