Forum Index > Trail Talk > Penske Lake...where is it? (Chinook Pass/PCT/Crystal Mt.?)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jstluise

jstluise
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 8:30 am 
Or does it even exist? Looking for some detective work here! I was browsing through some of my old photo folders and came across one labeled 'Lower Penske Lake, Bear Gap' from a hike 10+ years ago. I know where Bear Gap is (on the PCT just SW of Pickhandle Point, near Chinook Pass and Crystal Mt.) and I remember going to the lake, but I can't find 'Lower Penske Lake' on any map or through a search. Perhaps I saw a sign by the lake and it just isn't labeled on the map? It was a small lake. The only thing I can think of is we hiked down from Bear Gap into the ski area where Hen Skin Lake and Elizabeth Lake are...there are a few small unnamed lakes around there (though there is a broad 'Miners Lakes' label on the USGS map). Any ideas?! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:04 pm 
Can we see the pic? It might help to ID the location.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm 
There is a Henskin Lake just below Bear gap,toward the Crystal mtn ski area (south of Silver Creek). Is it possible that you were referring to this lake in your photo? (maybe got the name wrong?)

jstluise

jstluise
PostMon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 pm 
Yeah, you're right! I didn't think the few photos I had were enough to nail down a location but I took a closer look along with Google Earth and it is obvious it was Henskin Lake. Here is a one picture along with a view from Google Earth:
This would be facing south. The obvious part is the clearing at the end of the lake where you can see the trail and a rocky area. Here is a close up:
Henskin makes the most sense anyways since it would be first lake to come to after coming down from Bear Gap. I really don't know where I got Penske from...sure didn't get it from a map. Only thing I can think of is someone told me about it and they got it wrong or I misheard them. Oh well! Thanks for the help! Case closed!