Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any recent bear activity?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 7:20 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm 
You really gotta watch out this time of year they're real hungry!!

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 am 
Really hungry? It's this time of the year they eat greens to get their digestion started up.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 8:38 am 
Not over 6k feet, but I've started to note some fresh torn stumps on the hills outside Roslyn.

~Mom jeans on wheels
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am 
Tearing the bark off with claws and scraping with the teeth to get nutrition from the rich cambium layer? Like this guy at Mt Rainier. Seems like campground robbing would be easier.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 pm 
Jeff wrote:
For what it's worth I didn't see any signs that they were active that high up last weekend. Glad I didn't haul a bear canister all the way up there.
I hate bear canisters, too heavy and awkward when they are not required. At least these are fully protected against the mini-bears as well. I used the PCT hang method for many years; but finding suitability high, clear and not sloping branches on pine trees is usually time consuming. I switched to the Ursack AllWhite several years ago, and that's my go to food storage. Way easier to simply find a nearby tree branch to tie it to. It's a few ounces heavier than the PCT setup, but it worth it for absolute conveyance.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 pm 
I can't justify spending that kind of money for a bag, though it does look convenient.
InFlight wrote:
Jeff wrote:
For what it's worth I didn't see any signs that they were active that high up last weekend. Glad I didn't haul a bear canister all the way up there.
I hate bear canisters, too heavy and awkward when they are not required. At least these are fully protected against the mini-bears as well. I used the PCT hang method for many years; but finding suitability high, clear and not sloping branches on pine trees is usually time consuming. I switched to the Ursack AllWhite several years ago, and that's my go to food storage. Way easier to simply find a nearby tree branch to tie it to. It's a few ounces heavier than the PCT setup, but it worth it for absolute conveyance.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 4:25 pm 
I looked into the Ursack and I did not see the point of it. You still need to hang it and rodents can still get into it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm 
For what it's worth, the mountains are teeming with rodents. You don't see them because they're nocturnal, and shy (they're all prey species). Some of them can carry hantavirus. I suspect it's rarer in the mountains, but who knows. They poop constantly wherever they are. Their poop carries the infection. Really good idea to rodent proof your food.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 pm 
Foist wrote:
I looked into the Ursack and I did not see the point of it. You still need to hang it and rodents can still get into it.
I never hang mine and nothing has ever gotten into it. I just knot it tightly and leave it a good distance away from my camp, either tied to a log or covered with rocks. I also double bag the food inside with a regular plastic freezer bag followed by an Opsack.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 4:39 am 
Ursacks are supposed to be pretty rodent proof, have 2 of the older spectra models. I also use the OP sacks (odor proof), I think that is key to stopping an "intrusion" problem from starting in the first place.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 am 
in my day I never worried about my food, never hung it, never put it in a container proof of any kind. maybe the animals have gotten greedier since.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am 
Kat wrote:
Ursacks are supposed to be pretty rodent proof, have 2 of the older spectra models.
No they're not. The maker itself says they're not. They are only now coming out with a new version that is supposed to be, but that version is ineffective against bears.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 8:52 am 
The new version does say it is effective against both bears and rodents: https://www.ursack.com/product/ursack-allmitey-black/
Quote:
No need to choose between bear and critter protection. The Ursack AllMitey protects your food from all creatures great and small. While our standard Major and Major XL resist being torn by bears, it is prone to small (less than 1/4 inch) punctures/weave separations. The AllMitey is virtually puncture proof. Not only will it keep out bears teeth and claws it will thwart mice, raccoon, squirrels, pine martens and other sharp toothed critters.
Interesting tho, I did not know the spectra versions were able to be penetrated by rodents, altho 1/4" is pretty minor and would most likely leave your food intact.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 am 
Oh right, I did see that one. But the price was nuts, it was very new and on backorder, and it wasnt approved by onp or ncnp for places that required cans. Maybe that has changed.