Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wonderland Trail Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
conrad74

conrad74
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm 
According to NPS, they are no longer accepting permit requests for the Wonderland Trail because of the high demand. For those who have done the Wonderland Trail, is there a workaround? Is there a way to do this trail without securing the necessary permits ie., alternative campsites? Do they take walk-ups? Any info would be great!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 7:24 pm 
You can definitely get a walk up permit. It's probably best to try mid week,I would think. I doubt that you can find alternate wilderness camps and still make it around in a reasonable time but I haven't tried this. The key is being flexible and acknowledging that most of the camps are low elevation camps without views. Hike all day. Enjoy your time in the high country. Then head down to camp, wherever that may be. My point is, it really doesn't matter all that much which camps you get permits for because they are mostly pretty similar.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:15 pm 
Longmire - Mowich - White River makes a lovely 3 day two night loop of it and you camp in car campgrounds each night so no permit necessary.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:35 pm 
All your questions are answered by reading the nps website.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:56 pm 
I was unable to find any information about walk-up permits for the wonderland trail on the park service website but maybe it is there somewhere.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:01 pm 
reststep wrote:
I was unable to find any information about walk-up permits for the wonderland trail on the park service website but maybe it is there somewhere.
https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-permit.htm https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/WTP-2017-Pages1-2_access.pdf

I desire medium danger williswall.com
reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 9:11 pm 
Ok, thanks WW, I watched the video and the ranger covers the walk-up permit process pretty well. I knew about not camping in cross country zones if doing the wonderland trail but I have never heard why they have that rule.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Apr 20, 2019 10:24 pm 
ChinookPass wrote:
You can definitely get a walk up permit. It's probably best to try mid week,I would think. I doubt that you can find alternate wilderness camps and still make it around in a reasonable time but I haven't tried this. The key is being flexible and acknowledging that most of the camps are low elevation camps without views. Hike all day. Enjoy your time in the high country. Then head down to camp, wherever that may be. My point is, it really doesn't matter all that much which camps you get permits for because they are mostly pretty similar.
Look here's the deal, this is correct. Y'aint there for the destination, yer there for the dusty trail. So drive the cattle till last light and circle 'em up trailside.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Apr 21, 2019 11:04 am 
We got a walk-up permit last summer during the peak season. But the itinerary was pretty unrealistic (short days, followed by long mileage days, etc.). We applied for a permit but have yet to hear back. The longer it takes the less hope I have for securing a permit in advance. Heading up midweek is probably the best bet. And, you can get a walk-in for the day you show up, or a walk-in for the next day. (which would help give you time for dropping off re-supplies if you need to). One alternate wilderness camp on the Cowlitz divide is the Ollallie creek camp (could be used as alternate to Nickel Creek or even Indian Bar. Also, you can camp at the camp sites at mt rainier: Cougar rock is near the back country camps Paradise River and Pyramid Creek camps and could be used as an alternate. White River campground similarly use as alternate to Summerland or Sunrise camps. Finally, Ipsut creek camp has lots of spots. All these alternatives are not the prime camps at all, in terms of scenery, but if the permit is what you're looking for, then being flexible by requesting those sites would increase your chances of getting a workable permit.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 12:25 pm 
Anyone here who applied for a WT permit get a reply?

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 7:37 pm 
Im waiting to hear back about my northern loop permits. I had two sites on the WT as part of that. Haven't heard anything yet. Anyone heard anything?

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 pm 
A couple of days ago a Rainier ranger posted on Facebook page for Wonderland Trail that all permits except early July (or sooner) or late September (or later) have been filled. I went as a walk-up a couple of years ago and got almost the same itinerary that I had applied for. If trying a walk-up, go during the week and plan on arriving at one of the WIC offices no later than 5 a.m. the day before you plan to hike.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
A couple of days ago a Rainier ranger posted on Facebook page for Wonderland Trail that all permits except early July (or sooner) or late September (or later) have been filled. I went as a walk-up a couple of years ago and got almost the same itinerary that I had applied for. If trying a walk-up, go during the week and plan on arriving at one of the WIC offices no later than 5 a.m. the day before you plan to hike.
We applied for mid-Sept permit. Dang. I guess we'll try for walk in, but its way more convenient in terms of planning re-supply drop offs, etc. Last year we got a volunteer who really struggled to put together an 8 day /7 night itinerary for us. One stretch had us camping at Devil's dream, then Cougar rock (about 6 miles), then from there all the way to Ollallie Creek camp which is a mile or so past the WT off the Cowlitz divide and maybe a 17 mile day or so. Assuming we don't get the reserved permit, we'll try again to get a walk-in.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostWed May 01, 2019 11:38 am 
Has anyone heard back about their reservations? Every year I find the lack of transparency extremely frustrating. I understand that they are working with limited resources, but still, I have to wait a month and a half to find out if I got anything at all. It would be super nice to know if I could check the status of my request online. Just tell me if it was processed yet or not so I can move on with my summer planning.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu May 02, 2019 1:03 pm 
Wazzu_camper wrote:
Has anyone heard back about their reservations? Every year I find the lack of transparency extremely frustrating. I understand that they are working with limited resources, but still, I have to wait a month and a half to find out if I got anything at all. It would be super nice to know if I could check the status of my request online. Just tell me if it was processed yet or not so I can move on with my summer planning.
They could totally upgrade their system to a more user-friendly, transparent, responsive system.With today's technology, there's no excuse for not having a modernized permit system. Some would say that's due to lack of funding. Maybe, but its also lack of desire on the part of the staff. They are so backward. As I mentioned, the guy helping us with our walk-in last year was pretty clueless. After about 30 excruciating minutes of watching him shrug, wince, etc. he finally gave us a permit that was basically useless. We thought about stealth camping but decided not to - because we didn't know if there would be a decent area for that.