Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sam Sayers Recap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 9:59 am 
Interesting article..

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 10:37 am 
Well written. Thanks for sharing it.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Interesting article..
Well, I've wondered about this from time to time.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 pm 
"The county’s SAR spent 20,197 hours on missions in 2018, with approximately 8,000 of those hours looking for Sam." eek.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Apr 26, 2019 4:24 pm 
And I see that one of the thankfully-euthanized "Missing Hiker..." threads got 1159 replies and 382K views. We all felt concern at the time for a missing hiker and praise for S&R, but I think that thread quickly became more about....well, mum.gif other stuff. Hopefully, no reruns this year.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 pm 
Seattle Met is an odd mag for this. Good human interest story from the family POV, but unsatisfying since it doesn't provide much insight for the general public re SAR, the tremendous effort they put forth (except for listing days & hours), and how difficult it is to find a missing person in the bush. The Outside Magazine story How 1600 People Went Missing from Our Public Lands Without a Trace (cited in the old NWH Sayers thread) does a much better job, IMO. FWIW, I skimmed through all the crazy churn in the old thread, and a few key posts now stand out: those of Freesolo and some of Schroder's: both of them SAR or former SAR volunteers with tons of experience, including Freesolo's involvement with the search for missing PCT thru-hiker Kris "Sherpa" Fowler. It's the informed analysis that's worth attention. Not going to re-open that can of worms but if someone wants to discuss, PM me. One coda: I stumbled on this noteworthy selfie video of a Vesper summit day hike. When I saw the crazy stuff this guy does (and in sneakers!) I was reminded of Sayers' many "at the precipice" Instagram shots. The stomach-churning stuff starts just past 2.10: eek.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The stomach-churning stuff starts just past 2.10: eek.gif
That wasn't too bad. A little bit after around 3:00. Chasing the ptarmigan though, that was lame. I have NEVER seen one take flight before. You have to be seriously harassing them to get them to take wing. Boo, bad form.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Apr 28, 2019 9:55 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Chasing the ptarmigan though, that was lame. I have NEVER seen one take flight before. You have to be seriously harassing them to get them to take wing. Boo, bad form.
Agreed - that was my first thought. Tacky for sure.

iron

iron
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 1:22 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
The stomach-churning stuff starts just past 2.10: eek.gif
Chasing the ptarmigan though, that was lame. I have NEVER seen one take flight before. You have to be seriously harassing them to get them to take wing. Boo, bad form.
if i saw that guy doing that, i might just have to assist him off the mountain. what a d-bag. who is that, anyway, relative to the SS case?

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 5:27 pm 
And selfie sticks are always a good idea on the top of mountains rolleyes.gif

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 6:01 pm 
Slim wrote:
And selfie sticks are always a good idea on the top of mountains rolleyes.gif
That could just as easily have been a hiking pole or ice axe. With regard to Sam Sayers, I've pored over all the reports for the past eight months - from the Sheriff's Office, the trackers, the amateur drone pilots, etc. and I now firmly believe she's somewhere below 4500 feet on the south slope of Vesper and it had nothing to do with taking a selfie. She simply wandered off the wrong direction.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:06 pm 
Iron wrote:
who is that, anyway, relative to the SS case?
Just an example of selfie-stick craziness at the brink, demonstrated coincidentally in the general area of SS's disappearance.
Schroder wrote:
I've pored over all the reports for the past eight months...and I now firmly believe she's somewhere below 4500 feet on the south slope of Vesper and it had nothing to do with taking a selfie. She simply wandered off the wrong direction.
Well, probably not "wrong", Schroder, more likely a deliberate side trip, and she had an accident while down there, off trail. Recall that she'd been to Vesper several times previously. *edit* Just looked at a topo map; recalling that someone had said the "old" approach to Vesper was via the south side and up Vesper Creek - while perhaps a shorter hike in distance, sure looks like a gnarlier (steeper, woodsier) approach.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 01, 2019 9:34 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
Hey, just curious about any information or reports that made the south slopes seem more likely than the north/northwest slope?
A witness that came forward saw her descend several hundred feet down the south drainage and a man-tracker found prints consistent with her boots and poles further down the same drainage.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Aug 23, 2019 1:02 pm 
A year after officials called off search for hiker Sam Sayers, her mother is still looking Sounds like either sekrit LE info or the poor mom has sucked PI's into some unrealistic fantasy. Also noticed that Freesolo put up some recent Vesper S slope drone vids on his Youtube channel.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
A year after officials called off search for hiker Sam Sayers, her mother is still looking Sounds like either sekrit LE info or the poor mom has sucked PI's into some unrealistic fantasy. Also noticed that Freesolo put up some recent Vesper S slope drone vids on his Youtube channel.
Losing someone as close as a child is indescribably painful. Being in the presence of your loved one's lifeless body is a powerful emotional experience. Sam's mother has not experienced the horrible finality of seeing and touching the cold lifeless body of her daughter. As intensely painful as that experience is -- it does tend to move one out of the "this can't be" state of mind. Wish Lisa strength and healing for her loss and her cancer.