Forum Index > Gear Talk > so how long do PLB batteries really last?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 pm 
I just stumbled across these guys who will replace PLB batteries for $36!!! https://beaconbatteryreplacement.com/product/acr-resqlink-battery-replacement-service/ My battery in my ResQLink expires in 2021, so I'm going to give them a shot!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 8:13 am 
HikerJohn wrote:
will replace PLB batteries for $36!!!
However, the "About the service" section says "If your device has been activated, it will need to be factory reset, which we do NOT do." Does unplugging the battery, or letting it go dead, flip a switch in the PLB that can only manufacturer can reset?

iron

iron
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 8:16 pm 
i just tested the battery on my unit. indicates full battery (year 6). so, even though i'm beyond MFR recommendations, does it seem ok to hold off on battery replacement until i'm less than full?

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 6:20 am 
iron wrote:
i just tested the battery on my unit. indicates full battery (year 6). so, even though i'm beyond MFR recommendations, does it seem ok to hold off on battery replacement until i'm less than full?
How do you test the battery? I'm supposing that there is some method built in to the device to do this? And I wonder if it's tested under load. If not then the test is likely to be mis-leading, I would think. $36 seems quite reasonable for a replacement, but for the factory to offer to do the same for $220, even considering that they (probably) check it all over and reset if necessary, seems excessive. Maybe not, depending on what all is involved. I would replace the batteries. Coming into "hiking season" now, you may or may not need it so that is cheap for the knowledge that it'll work if needed, and $36 is less than a tank of gas.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
iron

iron
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 9:15 am 
there's a test button on the unit. 3 flashes = full, 2 = half, 1 = low. i had 3. here's feedback from the repair company listed in the link above:
Quote:
Typically the battery cells inside the battery pack have a 10 year shelf life from the factory (factory meaning battery cell manufacturer). The cells could be a year old by the time the actual plb is purchased. McMurdo, etc. are being a bit cautious by suggesting 5 years,as they also don't know storage conditions - temp fluctuations, etc. can affect battery shelf life. Realistically your battery is probably fine for a while longer, but it is not a bad idea to replace them and get another 6-7 years with no worry. For a FastFind 210 cost would be $48. You ship to us, we replace and ship back for free. While it only uses 2 cells, they are much rarer and more expensive then CR123 that alot of PLBs use. I like to use the oem battery cell as well, Varta in this case. so they are more expensive to source. I don't have a 210 specific product listed just yet, so if you do decide to order you can choose the CR123 Custom per cell option https://beaconbatteryreplacement.com/product/acr-battery-replacement-service/ and choose a quantity of 4.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 4:16 pm 
iron wrote:
there's a test button on the unit. 3 flashes = full, 2 = half, 1 = low. i had 3. here's feedback from the repair company listed in the link above:
Quote:
...they are much rarer and more expensive then CR123 that alot of PLBs use. ...
And here's yet another idea: Replace the batteries, then offer the CR123s for sale. Some cameras (Pentax film camera for one) use these batteries.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology