Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 am 
rbuzby wrote:
Gothic Basin had a backcountry toilet choppered in last fall. That was announced by press release.
Excellent news. Thank you! ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am 
zephyr wrote:
How are these privies maintained? Are these just deep holes covered by the privy and they work until they are filled up? Does the Forest Service take care of them or is this something that the Hi-Lakers do as well? Do you all go check on the ones that are already in place to see if they need attention? This may be privileged information, but is there a list of locations that have privies already? Might be good to know.
Zephyr - all great questions. The Hi-Lakers have signed up for the installation and not the maintenance. That would be left to the Forest Service. re:known locations - that is another problem that we would like to address. I could envision a phone app that would show the location in a map view. Something that would work with GPS so could be used offline. I will ask the FS when we meet with them about the idea. Thanks for all the interest and suggestions ! ~Slim

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm 
Volunteers or USFS staff check conditions of the toilet box and poop depth, and when the box is damaged and/ or the toilet is reported as getting full, either USFS staff or volunteers are scheduled for a repair/digging work party; a new hole is dug, typically nearby, and the toilet box is placed over it. Next time you're at a back country toilet location, look around for impressions or remnants of a previous toilet. I do that just for fun. It know it sounds sick and wrong, but I sorta get a bang out of old toilet locations. And next time you see a volunteer or USFS staff, thank 'em; they're looking out to ensure a good pooping experience.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostTue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
And next time you see a volunteer or USFS staff, thank 'em;
Roger that. Apparently Jess Kiel out of Skykomish is the expert on backcountry privies.

freshout

freshout
PostSun May 05, 2019 8:39 pm 
I've hiked up several toilets and installed even more. I have also done inventory on backcountry campsites. The districts have a map or at least a list of all of their backcountry toilets. The accuracy of this information is questionable. Before you start hiking up new toilets I would spend time doing a toilet assessment. Talk with the district, get on their same page (you will need approval), and start hiking to all of the popular locations looking for toilets. Note their condition and the DTS (Depth to sh##). You can then prioritize what locations actually need a new toilet, need a new hole, or just need better signage. I say this as I have hiked up a toilet to only find a perfectly fine toilet at the campsite. With all of this kind of work, planning and logistics goes a long ways. Additionally, ask the district for toilet signs with arrows. Be sure to use the USFS approved ones. I have found that many times the problem isn't the lack of toilet, it's the inability to find the toilet. I have been to popular areas only to find a toilet hidden, barely used, far from most visitor use areas. I like to install toilets close to the entrance of lake basins/camp areas if appropriate. That way, if an hour later they need to poop, they hopefully remember they saw the signage on the way in. You should not have to hunt for the toilet. Lastly, listen to this podcast about backcountry toilets. I think this is what we need to start fundraising for. Real composting toilets in high use areas. Similar to the one used at Gothic Basin last year. Also there is one at Baker Lake. https://www.outsideonline.com/2282711/amazingly-crappy-story

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon May 06, 2019 4:38 pm 
Good stuff freshout. You sound like the privy guru. We're planning on working with the Forest Service but wanted to get input from the community. Thanks, ~Slim

Jeff Chapman

Jeff Chapman
PostMon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm 
While best answered by Rod, Back Country Horsemen has been building backcountry privies and trying to install them. The problem we've run into is getting final permission. Rod applied for and received a grant to install a few privies in the Olympic National Forest. This was working with the USFS. Then staff changed, and it has been hard to get final permission now that the grant has been partially awarded. See the project in the link below named Pit Privies for Hood Canal Ranger District. Locations are Silver Lake, Lower Lena Lake, Camp Mystery, other. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/olympic/workingtogether/advisorycommittees/?cid=fseprd557906

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 07, 2019 9:00 am 
It's not likely Skykomish District has a problem with volunteer toileteers; just coordinate with them, they will supply the kit, and away you go.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed May 08, 2019 5:25 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
and away you go.
You did that on purpose ! smile.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu May 09, 2019 7:52 am 
Thank you to the Hi-Lakers for taking this on! My nomination would be any lake, creek or river campsites (multi-tent sites) along the PCT without a toilet.

Opinions expressed here are my own.