Previous :: Next Topic  
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostFri Apr 05, 2019 7:34 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
OwenT wrote:
There is a war on mining going on and a lot of lands that have been, in this legislation and others, or will be designated as "protected" are designated as such specifically to prohibit mineral exploration. Mostly, people get up in arms about the "big" mines, but it hurts the little guy just as much. That's one of the freedoms that we have that I enjoy and I don't like to see it get squashed everywhere.

As an avid amateur collector (not really good at much more than looking at the ground or hitting things with hammers, but it's paid off so far) I agree on a small scale. If I can scour the surface or a streambed without digging and perhaps keep any material that is not of archaeological significance, I'm happy. If designated areas for collecting with hand tools (hammers, chisels, prybars - no power tools or explosives) are defined for us that would also be great. Examples of such areas might be those that have formed in Ellensburg for blue hunters, or Republic for fossil hunters. The last thing I want to cause is lasting damage or animosity with property owners or fellow hikers/collectors, I would put the aesthetic and environmental impact of mineral hunting (on any scale) first when I'm in a protected area, and try to keep it foremost in mind when I'm anywhere in the field.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr

Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 01, 2019 1:41 pm 
The Dirtbag Diaries podcast has a behind-the-scenes story about how this big public lands package got passed even during this administration when that seemed unlikely. For a podcast episode about legislation it's surprisingly interesting.

Dirtbag Diaries - The Land Water Conservation Fund

--------------
Mid Fork Rocks flickr
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostThu May 02, 2019 7:59 am 
OwenT wrote:
SUWA's red rock wilderness act would withdraw a huge amount of land in Utah including many areas of interest with important minerals deposits where there are currently active mining claims.

This is news to me, unless you are talking about uranium, oil, or gas.  Do you grab your rockhammer and go prospecting for yellow cake? 

This map shows the mines in Emery County and the rest of Utah.  The new wilderness has a lot of uranium claims.  I only clicked on about 20 of the sites shown and they were all uranium.

https://westernmininghistory.com/mine_state/utah/

What are you talking about?   confused.gif

--------------
Even my best friends, they don't know, that my job is turning lead into gold. When you hear that engine drone, I'm on the road again, and I'm searching for the philosopher's stone - Van Morrison
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Speak up for public land protection
  Happy Birthday seawallrunner, puzzlr, CRoberts, 1steppin!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: