Forum Index > Trail Talk > Second Ascent is No More
Previous :: Next Topic  
Stella

Stella

PostWed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I’m sorry to hear they are closed and so suddenly. I tried to split my business between them and REI whenever possible. I hope that Wonderland Gear Exchange in North Ballard will get some of their business.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
NWtrax

NWtrax

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:39 am 
https://crosscut.com/2019/05/sad-start-hiking-season-ballards-ascent-outdoors-shutters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
JimL

JimL

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:39 am 
The following article in the Seattle Times gives more information:

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/sudden-closure-of-outdoors-retailer-ascent-outdoors-and-ascent-cycles-shocks-employees-and-customers/
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostThu May 02, 2019 10:57 am 
From the Xcut article, “People want to hang out and get together in the evenings and learn about mountain stuff,” Summers says.. “This was [...] where the real climbers went — the actual climbers, not the general public who's trying to learn about the outdoors.They go to REI."

Polarizing remark; it contradicts the woman they interviewed who said 2nd Ascent was kind and helped her with her first hiking boots and raincoat.

Interesting that the minimum wage hike was mentioned as a factor. I've heard rumbles about that time and again.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
rossb

rossb

PostThu May 02, 2019 1:32 pm 
I'm guessing it mostly had to do with the expansion. Unfortunately this is really common. Your core business is doing OK, but then you stretch yourself too thin by opening up new stores. I'm not saying retail is doing great, but Pro Mountain Sports and ProSki (both somewhat specialized sporting good stores) are still around. I'm pretty sure there are lots of bike shops in town as well.

I just think it is shame, especially if you are in cross country skiing. I can't really think of any store that is very good in that category. ProSki is great for backcountry, but not cross country. REI has some gear, but not too much (they have more skis and boots designed for lift skiing than cross country skiing).
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostThu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm 
Sad how it went down.  I die a little every time I set foot in REI.  You expect this from an Internet startup, not an established business.
JimK

JimK

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 pm 
Looks like it is back from the dead!

Outdoor Ascent Is Coming Back

--------------
Hiking Northwest
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Second Ascent is No More
  Happy Birthday JPH, straydog!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: