Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
If you're ok with carrying water to a dry camp, there's a spot a mile or two beyond Crystal in the meadow.
Where? I don't see anything called "Crystal" along the route. Do you mean Cascade creek? Meadow Creek is only about another mile or so up the trail from Cascade.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm 
Haha, sorry, I meant Cascade Creek. There's a nice grassy area with a view of you're carrying water. I'm sorry I don't have coordinates, that sounds beer real useful. I didn't get any ticks when I did it, but I was woken up to the joyful sounds of people removing ticks from each other in the nearby camps. So yeah, they're an issue there.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 pm 
Seems like a lot of different creeks are tumblin' into lake chelan these days... Its hard to keep up with'em on this thread!!!! Bet you got squatters' rights along the lake

lolWes

lolWes
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:53 pm 
Like others have said, there is a camping spot at Flick creek. There is a shelter and also room for a few tents. I know you said next month, so just wanted to forewarn that if you are planning on going on memorial day to maybe try another weekend. Last year it was an absolute madhouse, a large amount of people got off the ferry at Prince creek and every camping area was overflowing. If you are set on going I would advise to make good progress on the first day to try and stay ahead of everyone, and on the days after get up early and hit the trail as soon as you can.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 pm 
lolWes wrote:
Like others have said, there is a camping spot at Flick creek. There is a shelter and also room for a few tents. I know you said next month, so just wanted to forewarn that if you are planning on going on memorial day to maybe try another weekend. Last year it was an absolute madhouse, a large amount of people got off the ferry at Prince creek and every camping area was overflowing. If you are set on going I would advise to make good progress on the first day to try and stay ahead of everyone, and on the days after get up early and hit the trail as soon as you can.
Thank you. We will be going a couple weeks before Memorial Day. I'm not fool enough to go anywhere that has a trail to it on that weekend. Heck, I usually just stay home that weekend as sitting in interminable traffic isn't my idea of a fun way to spend a weekend. The person I'm going with has a mild disability and moves slowly. This is why I'm interested in where *all* of the camping options are along the trail in case we need to stop for the day before a major camping area. I'm confident she can do this trip, but it will be the first time she's ever done anything like this and I want to make it as enjoyable as possible. Running ahead of the hordes is definitely NOT in the plan.

lolWes

lolWes
PostFri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm 
Yeah, I was expecting the crowds to be pretty bad, but unfortunately that was the one weekend that lined up with the people that were going. It was pretty obvious that not everyone shared the same idea as I was constantly hearing comments on the amount of people. We also had to do a lot of creative tent organizing trying to fit people into camps, but eventually it just got to the point we had to tell people they had to keep moving. And I would advise to maybe see if you cant make the push to Moore point as your first night of camping. the one "Big Climb" is right after Moore point, so doing it in the morning with fresh legs might be a big help. I will actually be out there the first weekend of may, so if that's the weekend your planning lemme know.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 29, 2019 4:34 pm 
Thanks for the info lolWes! We'll be there the 10th - 12th, so gonna miss you by a week.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri May 03, 2019 7:14 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
My wife and I commando camped somewhere along the trail at a nice site next to the water. It was so long ago I can’t remember exactly where but remember there were some places that fit that bill.
Not going to disagree with this because I'm sure it is possible but it is important to know that there are very few flat spots on either side of the trail for most of it and where there are is where the established campsites and water tend to be. I myself would be comfortable with "commando" or cowboy camping but if I had someone with me for whom the trail might be a challenge, I wouldn't do that to them unless I had hiked it myself and knew exactly where any flat spots might be. And was willing to carry extra water. My opinion of the trail when I hiked it last year was that it would be rather inhospitable if there was either no room at a campsite or you couldn't make it to the next one. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 20, 2019 4:47 pm 
Just wanted to report that the trip was overall a great success. My partner enjoyed herself immensely even though temps were really too hot for comfort and the dogs suffered some pretty bad blisters on their paws. The first day was the worst - that climb out of Prince Creek followed by the drop back down to the lake and then the steep climb back up again, in the heat of the day (we didn't get dropped off at Prince Creek 'til 11:30) really took it out of us on our first-day legs. Also, Rattlesnake Creek was basically dry (water was flowing under the rocks and we couldn't really get to it) so it was the longest dry stretch of the whole trip from Prince Creek to Rex Creek, though there were a couple of trickles in there. We managed to make it all the way to Meadow Creek the first day but it was evening around sunset when we got there. We went to Flick Creek the next day, and from there the hike into Stehekin Sunday morning was easy and went by fast. It was also a lot cooler Sunday morning. We had plenty of time to relax in Stehekin, eat burgers at the Inn, and chat with some new friends. I did find some "unofficial" camping spots along the route. As mentioned, about 1/4 - 1/2 mile beyond Cascade Creek there is a good sized meadow just off the trail on the lake side. It's quite a ways above the lake and no water anywhere near. There were about 10 people camped there when we passed by in the late afternoon on Friday. That's a lot of water to carry. There was another gorgeous spot perched on a shelf just below the trail about a mile or so past Meadow Creek. Another dry camp though. There are several likely spots on the bench up above Moore Point on the down-lake side, just before the trail drops down. Again, no real convenient water there. All sorts of places to camp around Moore Point, some with convenient water. Just up lake from Flick Creek, and plainly visible from the Flick Creek camp is a nice little shelf right on the shore of the lake. I went over and checked it out. Access is a bit of an issue though which is why we didn't camp there. Unless crashing through deep deadfall on a steep slope is your idea of "OK", getting to it along the shore isn't feasible. You have to follow the trail up lake from Flick Creek and it climbs pretty steeply right as it leaves Flick Creek. You'll gain maybe 80' or so and travel a 200 yards or so then you'll see a steep, slippery, grass covered and occasionally rocky slope descending from the trail to the camp spot. It really is a nice spot and people have been camping there, but it's not something I could take my partner to. The best spots I saw were right at Fourmile Creek. There are several pretty nice spots right by the mouth of the creek. I wish I'd known those were there, I'd have tried to push on to them though we were pretty shot by the time we reached Flick Creek and were happy to cram ourselves into the tiny spot that was left there. Hope that info helps someone in the future.
. Does anyone know what this is?

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon May 20, 2019 9:50 pm 
I think your unknown plant is red flowering currant, a ribes species Nice pictures ! And thanks for the report!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 20, 2019 10:58 pm 
Thanks Brushwork, and you're welcome! I googled Red Flowering Currant and that's definitely what it was.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 20, 2019 11:47 pm 
Glad to hear it was a good time. smile.gif

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue May 21, 2019 2:40 am 
Looks like an awesome trip, I am hoping to do this trip some day. To many trips to little time.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.