Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead security detail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri May 03, 2019 9:50 am 
I have seen the same set up, volunteers at trailheads passing out handouts explaining the program. And they do look for donations to help fund the program. This was taking place at beaches and trailheads on Vancouver Island.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 03, 2019 10:06 am 
zephyr wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I did it a couple of times, not to deter crime, but to provide information about the trail, and other trails in the area.
Did you do this once at the trail head (off I-90 in Snoqualmie Pass) that leads to Kendall Katwalk and the PCT? z .
No; Ingalls and Blanca. It wasn't for security; the USFS doesn't place volunteers in security positions; it's stewardship, which a stewardship program at trail heads was noted by another poster on this thread as being a good deterrent in Canada trail heads. The need was also for Lake Serene, but I kept dragging my feet on stepping up for more, because truth told, like any of us saying "someone oughta volunteer for this," - it's always the call for someone else - I'd rather hike on a fine Saturday.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat May 04, 2019 7:05 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Unfortunately, vandalism is still a thing. It wasn't that long ago someone's car was burned at an Olympics trailhead. I've seen reports of vandals breaking out windows for no apparent reason. And, it was pretty recently that a guy had his wheels stolen.
Someone once tried to put a big rock through my windshield. They didn't break into the car, just smashed the windshield.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat May 04, 2019 7:47 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
They didn't break into the car, just smashed the windshield.
Back in the '80s, my friends and I got down off of Lost Ridge and found one of our cars with all four wheels removed...and stacked next to the car. Car wasn't even broken into. One of those "well it could have been worse" moments.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 04, 2019 10:02 am 
When I lived on Capitol Hill, somebody broke one if my windows to steal the dirty shoes I'd left in the car. I used packing tape to seal the window until I could replace it. The next day somebody smashed a different Windows too see if there was anything else with stealing. They cut have cut through the tape. They could have pulled the tape off with bare hands. But no. Since we're sharing stories. I've been lucky at trails, but there always that but of anxiety from Knowing you could come back to a mess or an immobile car. A friend of mine won't leave his car at trailheads. He gets to hike when somebody else drives.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 04, 2019 11:53 am 
There's those military wanna bes that just got in trouble for "patrolling" the southern boundary and taking (kidnapping) people trying to get into our country. Perhaps they could be contacted and given something to do that might be looked upon more favorably. Just gotta make it sound all he mannish and patriotic and stuff and they might do it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostSat May 04, 2019 7:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
There's those military wanna bes that just got in trouble for "patrolling" the southern boundary and taking (kidnapping) people trying to get into our country. Perhaps they could be contacted and given something to do that might be looked upon more favorably.
Militias form when law enforcement can't or won't do their job. Wow! Tomorrow's the big day!

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat May 04, 2019 8:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
There's those military wanna bes that just got in trouble for "patrolling" the southern boundary and taking (kidnapping) people trying to get into our country. Perhaps they could be contacted and given something to do that might be looked upon more favorably. Just gotta make it sound all he mannish and patriotic and stuff and they might do it.
Is that what you people are calling it now? The "southern boundary"? We don't have a border any more?

General ****

General ****
PostSat May 04, 2019 8:17 pm 
This is a copy of the note I put on my dashboard when I backpacked in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness... I have 2 BUSHNELL 8MP Trail cameras that are, & have been taking photos of you and your vehicle license plates. If you are an honest person, just smile, however, if you are a car break-in-thief, you may want to get your affairs in order before you go to jail. Enjoy your stay, but be good. Because any vandalism or theft is being recorded. Have a nice day.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
General ****

General ****
PostSat May 04, 2019 8:21 pm 
I really didn't have any cameras there, but anyone looking to do a car break-in. wouldn't know that; (and) we weren't broken into. But I can imagine (if) any vandals showed up, and (did) read my note, that maybe they spent time looking for the cameras and finally said... (Let's get the hlll out of here, we can't find the cameras and I don't want to go to jail.) It's called, Conning- the- Con.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
Brian R

Brian R
PostSat May 04, 2019 8:57 pm 
Quote:
I've noticed the 206-type crowd here is frequently unable to resist sneaking their political bumper stickers onto the most benign pages. Same as it ever was.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun May 05, 2019 12:00 am 
Brian R wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed the 206-type crowd here
Except that treeswarper is in the 509 crowd.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 05, 2019 12:56 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Brian R wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, and can't help from taking swipes at the 206ers constantly. This is hilarious that someone mistook TW for that which TW hates.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 05, 2019 3:58 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
fourteen410 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite, what is a 206 or a 509? Sounds like police shorthand for something or other.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 05, 2019 4:04 am 
moonspots wrote:
Ok, I'll bite, what is a 206 or a 509? Sounds like police shorthand for something or other.
206 and 509 are area codes for Seattle proper and Washington east of the crest. It's a reference to the contrast between high earning urban dwellers that flock to rural areas to play and rural folks that try to scratch out a living in rural areas.