Faster than light
PostMon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 06, 2019 4:56 pm 
The rush up to the overlook was blocked by snow, so I didn't go this time. There's a lot of opportunity to fill your bottles along the way if you have a filter or purifier. East bank trailhead gets you down to the river, and there are a lot of creeks, and trickles down the rocks right beside the road. It suddenly got warm and sunny. I'm not used to it yet and working hard in it was tougher than I expected. The and back part will make it a much harder ride for you. Don't underestimate the hills eat of Newhalem, they don't feel like much in a car, but you'll notice them. Also, no matter how fast you are, the long tunnel doesn't give you enough time a so bring a trail light.

nordique

nordique
PostMon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm 
My bike racing club did the North Cascades Highway annually--decades ago, with a race to Mazama and a race, the next day, back to Marblemount. SO much fun! Nowadays, after right knee replacement, I am unable to ride my Colnago Super even to my local Starbucks! At least I can hobble up and down hikes, still! I miss those big bike rides but at least I can do the Sun Mountain Lodge drives with the local BMW club! A bit of a long day, Seattle--Seattle: better to overnight at Sun Mountain Lodge! https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157645262861324 We were slowed only by Harley clubs on the North Cascades Highway--they are SO slow! I thought the hardest part of the bike ride was the long solo, on the second day, back to Marblemount. At least there is a wide shoulder so you can check to see if anyone is gaining on you!

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon May 06, 2019 10:15 pm 
Ooooooh, I wanna do that ride very soon. The pavement looks dry the whole way, is that true? First is Hurricane Ridge, which I found out today is also prime for cycling.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 07, 2019 9:32 am 
Yeah, you won't run into any snow on the pavement. There are a few places where the road artifact is wet for a foot or two from snow melt, but not enough to give you a stripe down your back. Personally, I think snow on the peaks adds to the scenery. If you agree, go this coming weekend, because it's melting soon. I'm surprised a bike TR got so much interest here. smile.gif Hope you all enjoy a fantastic ride too!

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 10, 2019 11:51 am 
Snows melting fast over there