Forum Index > Trail Talk > Coastal Backpack with Kids
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 07, 2019 3:05 pm 
Looking for some advice. We're thinking about taking our kids (7 and 4) on a backpacking trip along the coast. I myself have zero experience backpacking on the coast. I have only done a day hike at the Olympic coast once, and it was many years ago. Right now, I think I can count on my barely 4-year-old to do about 3 miles of trail hiking in a day. How that translates to beach hiking? Not sure... We are aiming for 2 weeknights in June. So we'll be avoiding the weekends, for what that's worth. I've looked at the basic info on the ONP website, including where the pit toilets are and where water sources are. So: 1) Where would be the best place to go? Taking into account scenery, fun stuff like tidepools, quality of camping, crowdedness, toilet availability, etc. 2) What special considerations are there for camping on the beach? (Or are there camps in the woods on dirt, and should we try to get those?) Do I need a freestanding tent? Yes, I know we should put the tent above high tide water line... Photo of my little hikers:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 07, 2019 4:33 pm 
With boys that age your going to have to "Sherpa" all the gear, as they simply can't carry that much. You will also need to carry an approved bear container for food (for mini-bears aka Raccoons). I'll suggest a base camp at Shi Shi beach, with a day hike to point of arches. Shi Shi has camping areas well above high tide. Lots of tidal pools toward Point of Arches. You could move camp to Point of Arches. But I'd just keep simple for a first outing. A free standing tent would be the way to go. Rather then getting some monster tent, you might consider two 2-person tents.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm 
I see that my son was 10 when we went to Rialto Beach. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961988 I'm sure your kids could easily handle the hike past Ellen Creek, with nice tide pools and Hole-in-the-Wall. Weekdays are better but still busy on any summer day. Second Beach is also popular with families, but doesn't have the wooded shaded sites like Rialto.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 07, 2019 4:41 pm 
Does Shi Shi beach have sites in the trees? The shade would be nice plus I don't really have any true freestanding tents. I have a couple small Tarptents that can be freestanding in a pinch with trekking poles, but it's not an optimal setup.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue May 07, 2019 4:45 pm 
Foist: There are many good options; Cape Alava is 3 miles along a boardwalk and very pretty; wood can be hard to find if you are keen on a fire. Sandpoint is 3+ miles on a boardwalk and really scenic and nice (no fires). Shi shi beach is 3+ miles and just beautiful (fires ok). As GOAG said, Rialto is shorter and very nice; the beach is rockier but still nice. 3rd beach is another option. Mid week is much better than weekends....If I were to pick one of the above it would be Shi Shi mid week. Your kids will LOVE it! The sites change from year to year, but usually there are plenty of sites on the coast in the trees with shade.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 07, 2019 5:53 pm 
Are car prowls an issue at the overnight parking area at the Shi Shi trailhead? Asking because this will be the start of a longer trip and we will have a lot of stuff in the car (hopefully mostly in a covered trunk and out of view...).

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue May 07, 2019 6:25 pm 
Foist wrote:
Are car prowls an issue at the overnight parking area at the Shi Shi trailhead?
Don't overnight your car at the Shi Shi Beach trailhead. This has been discussed in a previous thread. Read the whole thread for the full picture. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8005458

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue May 07, 2019 6:34 pm 
Homes near the Shi-Shi trailhead offer secure overnight parking for a fee. I would take full advantage of that feature despite the cost.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 07, 2019 7:07 pm 
I know you can't park at the trailhead, I saw that on the nps website. I asked about the overnight parking near the th, which sounds like it is at a nearby house? Are you telling me not even to park there?

graywolf

graywolf
PostTue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm 
Foist wrote:
I know you can't park at the trailhead, I saw that on the nps website. I asked about the overnight parking near the th, which sounds like it is at a nearby house? Are you telling me not even to park there?
The parking near the trailhead (1/2 mile?) is at a tribal elder's house - and the locals will not mess with any vehicles parked there.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue May 07, 2019 8:11 pm 
Sounds perfect, actually. Safer than the lots on federal land. Which is kinda pathetic.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 07, 2019 9:20 pm 
Foist - Check out a number of the TR's on the WTA site for Shi-Shi Beach. Nearest the steep beach descent the trail gets quite muddy; can your youngest handle that? Rialto might be a better choice for a first time, and you'd have the option of staying at Mora campground (NPS) if the weather gets weird, and doing day hikes instead. I went out to the coast last year in mid-August; had a social event to attend in La Push and was thinking of camping at Second Beach. Left Seattle in a smoky heat wave, and by the time I got near the coast it was misting. Decided to spend the first night at Mora campground (NPS) and ended up making it my base camp and doing day hikes at Rialto and Second Beach. Mora CG was the best of its kind I'd ever stayed in: not crowded during the week, quiet, lovely forest; even got a coyote serenade late one night. I don't have info re overnight parking safety at Rialto. No problems during the day there and at the Second Beach parking area.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
hbb

hbb
PostWed May 08, 2019 9:28 am 
I've never had issues parking at the house that has a sign that says something like "Diana's Parking." Usually if someone is home they will run you up to the trailhead, which saves 15-20 minutes of walking up the road. You'll want cash. I think it was $10 a night, but can't recall for certain. I would expect a 7 and 4 year old to be head-to-toe mud after hiking to Shi Shi. That trail is generally very sloppy, even in dry weather. I much prefer a free standing tent for the coast, but you can make any tent work out there with deadmen. Filling stuff sacks with sand and burying them is super easy and will wold well.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed May 08, 2019 11:27 am 
Hmm, steep muddy trail sounds like a problem. Some reports even motion a rope that people use for downclimbing? Yikes that could be an issue for the 4 year old. not to mention my wife, who HATES mud. Between Rialto Beach northward, or Second Beach southward, which would be better for our purposes? Sounds like maybe Rialto because of better camping? We could do car-camping at the campground but we've done a lot of that with the kids and we want to try backpacking. (I don't think Cape Alava and/or Sand Point is a good idea. I did that loop as a teenager and found it boring and tedious. And my kids like fun terrain; walking for miles on boardwalk would make them very mopey.)

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed May 08, 2019 12:14 pm 
I've done Ozette, Second Beach, Third Beach south to Toleak, and Rialto north with my nine-year old (as young as 6 for some of these hikes). I've also paddled Lake Ozette with him and taken the Ericson's Bay trail to the beach. If you want tidepools, bluff camping, fewer overland crossings I think Rialto is probably the best bet. Ozette is my favorite, but you don't have to do the loop (which is tedious hiking even on the beach, I agree). Hike north to the river. There's lots of tidepools there and wildlife, and the Indian history there is really neat if you study it beforehand so you can explain it to your kids. The Makahs have a replica shelter there with a memorial and lots of animal bones. You can also see the remnants of old shelters that are being exposed by the surf. And there's a sekrit pioneer cabin that is very cool if you know where to look. wink.gif