Forum Index > Trail Talk > Didn't get my Rainier permit
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostMon May 06, 2019 9:04 am 
I did apply for Indian Bar this year, but I had three different range of dates, including late September. So I guess that's my wad spent on Rainier this year, without visiting, since the fee is not refunded. I could go for a same day permit, and off-Wonderland there is a decent chance of getting something on the east side. Will see how the summer develops. But then I have to pay the entrance fee without knowing if I will get anything. Not sure if I'm up for that possibility a second time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon May 06, 2019 10:42 am 
drm wrote:
But then I have to pay the entrance fee without knowing if I will get anything.
What about going to the Carbon River Ranger Station? It's a couple miles before the park entrance, so you shouldn't have to pay the fee. Although, maybe it's too far out of the way from where you want to hike.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostMon May 06, 2019 11:48 am 
drm wrote:
I did apply for Indian Bar this year, but I had three different range of dates, including late September. So I guess that's my wad spent on Rainier this year, without visiting, since the fee is not refunded. I could go for a same day permit, and off-Wonderland there is a decent chance of getting something on the east side. Will see how the summer develops. But then I have to pay the entrance fee without knowing if I will get anything. Not sure if I'm up for that possibility a second time.
I'm sorry to hear that. We have not heard back from them yet, but I'm assuming we didn't get our permit either. I would try for a walk-in. You have two chances for that: the day you walk-in, or the next day. If you're flexible (such as having to do one short mileage day, then another long mileage day, etc.), then they should have something. The issue with walking in is having to take your re-supply containers to the other stations. If you get a permit for the next day, then its not an issue, but if they happen to have a decent itinerary for that same day, then you have to find a way to drop off your re-supplies.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon May 06, 2019 12:05 pm 
Joseph wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. We have not heard back from them yet, but I'm assuming we didn't get our permit either.
We did not receive confirmation until May 11 last year. I had already moved on and made other plans, which I quickly cancelled.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
drm

drm
PostMon May 06, 2019 12:20 pm 
Last year I applied for Devils Dream and got it and was notified like on April 3. I know it's nowhere near as popular as Indian Bar, but it's still on the Wonderland.

drm

drm
PostMon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm 
Jeff wrote:
The permit reservation game is for non-locals. Go for the midweek walkup permits and don't pay a penny.
I've done that for less in-demand sites. But Indian Bar? I think Wonderland loopers are not weekenders so I assumed it needed a reservation. I would do a walkup for Shriner Peak or Upper Palisade Lake, etc.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon May 06, 2019 10:21 pm 
They're cheatin' these days them big beurcrats!!! All these big permit deals are gettin' too hard!! After hard winters training hard its unacceptable to me!!! Makes ya wonder if its legit!! I think its all a show!!

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue May 07, 2019 6:44 am 
Jeff wrote:
The permit reservation game is for non-locals.
Or locals with participants coming in from out of state, or locals with any number of other contingencies that work better with some measure of planning. Here is what you need to know for walk-up permits: 1. As others have pointed out, you can get the permit the day before. Be there when the ranger station opens the day before your planned trip. We ended up heading back home and coming back the following day rather than try to camp in a packed campground. 2. Hikers with lottery permits must use designated sites. Furthermore, everyone chooses sites that are ON the Wonderland Trail. There are a few designated sites in places like Berkeley Park that are often available because they are a bit off route. Also, do some homework and find places where you can use cross-country camping sites. Have your first choices and backups ready when you arrive.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue May 07, 2019 9:50 am 
I didn't get mine either. I only had two sites on the WT and gave half of July and almost all of August for my dates. Oh well. I'm just about done going for places that have quotas and completely opaque lotteries. Post a date, open up the system and let us all figure out what we want to do as far as our trips. Save the rangers and all of us a great amount of time and money. I never seem to get anything despite putting wide ranges for my dates and who knows if I had the option of adjusting my sites based on availability I might be able to make something work. Was planning on a trip with kids so I can't risk not getting anything before driving over there. Looks like it's FS or maybe something in North Cascades, maybe Olympic.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue May 07, 2019 9:51 am 
I didn't get mine either. I only had two sites on the WT and gave half of July and almost all of August for my dates. Oh well. I'm just about done going for places that have quotas and completely opaque lotteries. Post a date, open up the system and let us all figure out what we want to do as far as our trips. Save the rangers and all of us a great amount of time and money. I never seem to get anything despite putting wide ranges for my dates and who knows if I had the option of adjusting my sites based on availability I might be able to make something work. Was planning on a trip with kids so I can't risk not getting anything before driving over there. Looks like it's FS or maybe something in North Cascades, maybe Olympic.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue May 07, 2019 8:37 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Jeff wrote:
The permit reservation game is for non-locals.
Or locals with participants coming in from out of state, or locals with any number of other contingencies that work better with some measure of planning. Here is what you need to know for walk-up permits: 1. As others have pointed out, you can get the permit the day before. Be there when the ranger station opens the day before your planned trip. We ended up heading back home and coming back the following day rather than try to camp in a packed campground. 2. Hikers with lottery permits must use designated sites. Furthermore, everyone chooses sites that are ON the Wonderland Trail. There are a few designated sites in places like Berkeley Park that are often available because they are a bit off route. Also, do some homework and find places where you can use cross-country camping sites. Have your first choices and backups ready when you arrive.
Yes - good point. There are a few places you can camp that probably always have openings that are either along the WT or near: White River CG, Berkeley Park (as mentioned previously), Ipsut Creek, Mowich Lake, Cougar Rock, Olallie Creek Camp (near Cowlitz divide). These may not be the "prime" spots but should be considered as a backup if your first choices are full. Regarding Cross country camping - I'd be interested in what the Nat'l Park allows for this - they have never mentioned this as an option in 3 years of obtaining walk-in permits. There are places along the WT that would seem to be ideal, but I've never been offered that option.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm 
Wazzu_camper wrote:
Keep trying. Not sure if you've hiked it but the WT is epic. My daughter and I are going for our 3rd trip this summer (in Sept). We had a great time last summer and decided to do it again. Both times we did it in late July/early Aug in peak heat, peak glacier melt (raging rivers), and peak bugs. I was surprised at how much of the trail is relatively non-annoying. Devils Dream lived up to its reputation as awful for bugs, but we just arrived there and set up camp and went to sleep. Indian Henry's was also bad. Hope you get an opportunity to do this. I should also note that today we also received the email informing us we didn't get the permit. Sigh. We will go for walk-in and hope for the best.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed May 08, 2019 7:38 am 
Joseph wrote:
Regarding Cross country camping - I'd be interested in what the Nat'l Park allows for this - they have never mentioned this as an option in 3 years of obtaining walk-in permits. There are places along the WT that would seem to be ideal, but I've never been offered that option.
The cross-country zones begin 1/4 mile from the WT. They were available for walk-up permits as recently as last year but I have not looked at the website this year. Also, folks should know that there are campsites available for backpackers at Mowich Lake if you have a permit to start hiking from there the following morning. They are not reserved in the traditional sense, but there is enough space for you there if someone has not ignored the signs and taken a spot reserved for backpackers. The park rangers are often confused on how this works - and since park rangers are notorious for False Authority Syndrome* - who knows what they might tell you about this! * [ranger looks down] "Well, I've got this swell pickle suit and badge, I must know the answer to that question!" clown.gif

Routes

Routes
PostFri May 10, 2019 3:05 pm 
I was fortunate to receive a permit for a section hike I was seeking (Longmire to Mowich) but it's for the one weekend I can't use it, Labor Day. How difficult is it to try and swap with someone or have the rangers reschedule? I'm guessing with the way they are understaffed they might not be that accommodating. Is it any easier to transfer the permit from my name to someone else's? Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm a WT permit first timer.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat May 11, 2019 9:08 pm 
Routes wrote:
I was fortunate to receive a permit for a section hike I was seeking (Longmire to Mowich) but it's for the one weekend I can't use it, Labor Day. How difficult is it to try and swap with someone or have the rangers reschedule? I'm guessing with the way they are understaffed they might not be that accommodating. Is it any easier to transfer the permit from my name to someone else's? Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm a WT permit first timer.
Longmire to Mowich - which way? It could either be long (clockwise) or short (counter clockwise). I suppose it doesn't matter - and I doubt you can reschedule or swap. . The system they have is very antiquated and clumsy.